generations:windows

Earth's Guardian
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Should I get vista , 7 , or should I wait for 8. (Also should I get these in laptop or desktop)

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Windows 7 for Desktop.

Windows 7 is a much improved version of Vista, while Windows 8 seems to have gone in a very different direction altogether, aesthetic-wise. Windows 7 is right now the most stable and up-to-date Windows available.

If you play games a lot and aren't going to move around much, Desktop is the best choice, and also most cost efficient one. If you are constantly moving through large distance, and need some way of staying online while being able to play a few games here and there, go for the Laptop, otherwise its not worth it.

Earth's Guardian
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Is there a way to transfer files from my old computer to a new other than flash drive

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, PCs normally have more than one partition of their HDD, so you could move all the files you need from the C: Drive to your D: Drive. The examples I gave are for a default setup.

Install Windows at boot instead of a normal install. After that all you have to do while installing the new Windows, is make sure that you select C: Drive Partition when you get the choice. Your files in D: Drive should be safe.

You will only get the option to choose the partition during Boot install and not during normal installation.

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/514412-windows-7-installation-guide-tutorial.html

That seems like a good guide.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you were upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, there's an option to install it and keep your old files. I don't think that's possible on XP.

You could try something like Dropbox. It's basically a program that will host files for you on their servers. You can put whatever you want to save on there, install windows 7, then install Dropbox again and retrieve your stuff. I think the free version lets you keep 2 gigs of data on there.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or if you're going from one computer to another there's always network sharing

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Or buy a new HDD, put Windows 7 on it and just simply hook up all the other HDDs from your old PC to it.
Honestly as long as you don't format the partition/HDD where your files are, there are loads of ways to get your files from one PC to another. Especially make a backup of your C:\Users\username folder as most probably all your saved games, settings for different software and also saved passwords used by your browser etc. are there. Last time I reformatted I just copied my username folder over to the new OS and saved me so many hours.

On the subject of OSes. Windows 7 is the replacement of XP. It is the XP of the modern age basically. Vista was a failure ask anybody, NEVER go for Vista. I can't comment on Windows 8 as I haven't used it yet but from what I have seen it is aimed at Tablets mainly and Touch Screen devices. Here is a Thread made by @Sub on the subject of Windows 8: http://forum.esforces.com/threads/153080-Windows-8

On the subject of Desktop vs Laptop the answer is: depends on the use. A desktop is generally more powerfull than a Laptop as it is stationary and is always powered from the mains. The problem is its more xpensive as the screen doesn't come with the PC usually + more high tech parts than a laptop. I suggest getting a Desktop for regular use and a Netbook/Android Tablet for traveling. Either way you go, Windows 7 should be the main OS unless you get a tablet in which case Android.

PS: I have also seen Android Netbooks recently. Can anyone comment on those? Debating getting one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom