General Gran Turismo Question

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I decided to start up Gran Turismo 3 a few days ago. Out of the affordable cars to pick from at the start of the game, I went with the PT Cruiser since it has the highest horse power out of the other crappy cars you can buy. I bought a number of parts to beef up the horse power, two weight reductions, level one turbo kit, and sports tires.

Now, my problem is with most courses is cornering. I've looked at numerous online guides and tried practicing with the B license tests, but I can't get cornering down. So I guess I'm missing something. In fact, I don't think I ever got cornering down in any of the Gran Turismo games.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers

When cornering, you want to take the apex of the curve (shown as the top two road images) because that maximizes the speed you can go in the corner. The bottom two are the easy way out that slow you down because you basically turn more than you need to.

Approaching a curve, you should brake/slow down before you start turning. Once you start turning, you should start by not accelerating or braking, then at about half way during the turn, you should accelerate into the curve. Accelerating into the curve pulls you to the outside of the road. Depending on the car/modifications you have, the times when you do those and for how long vary drastically. It takes a lot of practice to get it down. There are ways to watch the computer run the courses: watch them. They take the apex perfectly every time.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'm one of the kind of drivers who heads up as fast as possible, brakes at the last possible second and turns in, so i use the bottom set, on the top picture...

do you drive manually, or using automatic gears? if you are on automatic, try switching to manual for a while, and get used to slowing down through the gears, it might help you with breaking control.

Best answers
Just play against your ghost for a while in some tracks that has lot of U-and L-curves. If you remember your ghost driving off road in certain part try slowing down more than him, eventually you can learn the right speeds and times to brake.
Basically brake late, hard and soon as you hit the clipping point of the curve hit the gas. And remember to drive like in optionals pictures...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

When cornering, you want to take the apex of the curve (shown as the top two road images) because that maximizes the speed you can go in the corner. The bottom two are the easy way out that slow you down because you basically turn more than you need to.

Approaching a curve, you should brake/slow down before you start turning. Once you start turning, you should start by not accelerating or braking, then at about half way during the turn, you should accelerate into the curve. Accelerating into the curve pulls you to the outside of the road. Depending on the car/modifications you have, the times when you do those and for how long vary drastically. It takes a lot of practice to get it down. There are ways to watch the computer run the courses: watch them. They take the apex perfectly every time.

That's pretty descriptive, though I've noticed how the computer players never have a problem getting around a corner. I guess I should watch them more closely.

i'm one of the kind of drivers who heads up as fast as possible, brakes at the last possible second and turns in, so i use the bottom set, on the top picture...

do you drive manually, or using automatic gears? if you are on automatic, try switching to manual for a while, and get used to slowing down through the gears, it might help you with breaking control.
I figured that switching to manual would help since you have more control over the gears. I've been using automatic, but I'll try using manual.

Just play against your ghost for a while in some tracks that has lot of U-and L-curves. If you remember your ghost driving off road in certain part try slowing down more than him, eventually you can learn the right speeds and times to brake.
Basically brake late, hard and soon as you hit the clipping point of the curve hit the gas. And remember to drive like in optionals pictures...
Hmm... I need to try that with the ghost.

Could the type of brakes for my car also improve cornering? I haven't bought any upgrades for my brakes yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom