GeForce GTX 680: Kickin ass, and taking names.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
So the new 680 is out and reviews are in.

This is incredible...

Not only is it cheaper than the 7970...it uses less power..and at stock runs faster than a OC'ed 7970 as well.

It is about 80% as fast a 590, which is 2x580's. Such a leap!

The thing is a beast! There was so many rumors pre-release, everyone thought the usual bull**** being thrown around, bit turn out true.

From one generation to the next, NVIDIA almost managed a full 100% increase over their last. 28nm is nice!

Launch price is set @ 499$, while the 7970 is still 550$, however, AMD will obviously lower the price to about 400$, some expect.

Keep in mind this is a newly released product VS one with mature drivers. I find that immensely impressive. Seriously, the 680 is a beast. SLi two of them and go to heaven.

They also have an auto-overclocking feature, new in GPU's, in that the card will OC itself as demand for performance increases...pretty awesome.

Consider this, a single GPU can run BF3 @ 1920 x 1200, 16x AF, Ultra, and 4xAA, not post process AA, and achieve 77fps.

Amazing!

Attachments

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I want that in me so bad

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Am not buying a card until the next set of consoles.

Seeing as the graphics in games are at a standstill, purchasing them seems to be a waste. Unless you haven't upgraded in a while... because then you should.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh yeah, I was thinking about buying one in the next couple of months, once things settle down and revisions are made, but my 470 will still last me a while yet long, if a 680 is so amazing, and NVIDIA is calling this their mid-end card...

780 or bust.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I will get GTX1080!

:3

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
If they go with that naming scheme.

I imagine the GTX1080 would be insanely powerful and a Legendary card for name alone.

Then I'd much rather get the GTX1440.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Consider this, a single GPU can run BF3 @ 1920 x 1200, 16x AF, Ultra, and 4xAA, not post process AA, and achieve 77fps.

Amazing!
I can actually do the same on my unclocked 6950 and probably get 50+..haven't checked it lately or updated to latest drivers.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;HxXk-iXLjiY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HxXk-iXLjiY#![/video]

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, NVIDIA is saying it is their best card ever.

Think about the G80 / G92 series, or the 8800 series, that Legendary series that revolutionized the graphics card market and made ATi nearly go out of business, until AMD bought them up.

Big promises they are making. I want a 780...

Or maybe, I dunno, crazily enough...780 x2? Or just 1x 880?:p

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I seriously doubt that Baaja.

Or else you have a miracle card. Cause no other 6950 comes close to that.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/11/10/battlefield-3-technical-analysis/4
Online, Operation Firestorm 64/64, the exact same setting as you said = lowest was 30 fps, averaging at about 40. Same as your benchmarks! But I don't have the latest drivers nor have I unlocked the shaders to a 6970..I should probably do that so that I could get a 45 average, turn down some settings and be happy at the end of the day.

EDIT: Watched the movie, that was single player and not very taxing on the graphics. I can also stare into the horizon and get 70-80+ FPS :p

Last edited:
Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, and?

I said 77FPS @ 1920 x 1200, 4xMSAA, not FXAA / Post Processing. Ultra settings. It pulls 77FPS out compared to your 40.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well inside housing like a submarine and walking out to see only water and an empty horizon (like on the video) isn't taxing at all on the graphics card! I did the same thing today, on the same settings that you are mentioning and it spiked my fps up to 70+. What I would like to know is in what kind of environment that 77 fps that you are mentioning was reached? Watching the video on single player and on that map, getting 77+ isn't "all that"!

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Am not buying a card until the next set of consoles.

Seeing as the graphics in games are at a standstill, purchasing them seems to be a waste. Unless you haven't upgraded in a while... because then you should.
PC's Used to control the level of graphics not consoles. It's BS

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
High quality PCs are too expensive for the mainstream consumer of videogames, and as such, most games are made for consoles and then ported to PC later on these days. PC may lay the foundation for next generation consoles, but certainly not for present generation games.

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers

Don't get me wrong, I love my console gaming. But PC gaming is, always was and always will be King in my book

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem is that products aren't mostly made for "kings", they're made for the unwashed masses. If you gave a kingly computer to everyone, I'm sure things would change, but as the price difference between a gaming PC and a console is so massive, there's really no point for ordinary people to do "PC gaming", and so console reigns supreme.

FP Wannabe
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Yeah, NVIDIA is saying it is their best card ever.

Think about the G80 / G92 series, or the 8800 series, that Legendary series that revolutionized the graphics card market and made ATi nearly go out of business, until AMD bought them up.

Big promises they are making. I want a 780...

Or maybe, I dunno, crazily enough...780 x2? Or just 1x 880?:p
Ahhh, the glorious 8800 GT days... I had years of fun with my limited edition overclocked 8800 GT, and even when it wouldn't work anymore, I revived it. Don't know if you guys ever heard of the oven technique, but it worked, my pc wouldn't even boot anymore, so I put my 8800 GT on the oven and it would magically work again, wouldn't last very long though, usually a month or two weeks until it needed resurrection again. I got tired of running my pc on a zombie card, so I bought an ATI 6870, and gave my 8800 to my brother, which also had a zombi 8800 GT (been reviving it frequently). He overclocked it to the same specs of mine so he could run it on SLI, sucked that everytime his computer wouldn't boot, he didn't know which of the zombies needed reviving...

Death from Above
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Problem also is PC are "too complicated" for the average user. You need to know something about how a pc works.

The initial outlay is the bad part of PC Gaming. Incrimental upgrades keep costs down, you never actually need to spend $500 on the best of the best.

Like Z said, We've reached a level where games aren't being pushed graphically anymore due to Consoles being pushed to the limit. You can buy something now for the price of a console and not touch it until Microsoft and Sony officially announce Xbox 720 and PS4.

Consoles are trying to do more of what PC's do (Which is alot), not the other way around.

Like I said, Nothing against consoles. I love playing mine, but it's just alot better for me personally to play most games on PC. Some are better on console

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
First of all ATI will never be able to truly measure up to Nvidia as Nvidia has a dedicated Physics processor in it while ATI cards do not. That alone boosts the quality of gaming in terms of gameplay as well as graphics. So i never care about the FPS comparissons of ATI vs Nvidia as they are uncomparable imo.

2nd of all I think we are reaching a graphics pinnacle, the 680 looks amazing and that new boost feature is awesome! I hope they bring it out for older cards too! I know none of these 2 companies will stop till they will probably achieve Ray Tracing graphics in real-time gaming which will be truly heaven :D. TXAA looks amazing and the real-time physics are fantastic!

3rd thing I wanted to say is that PC gaming doesn't have to be as expensive as console gaming. Upgrading your PC once every 3-4 years, if necessary, after your initial buy isn't bad at all. I have recently spent about ยฃ400 replacing my graphics card from a 9800GT to a 560 Ti + mobo from a MSI K9A2 Platinum to a Asus M5A99XEvo + processor from a Phenom I 950 to a Phenom II 955 + ram from DDR2 to DDR3 OCZ Reapers + PSU + new case, everything new except the RAM, while I could still sell my old ones and got some of that money back therefore bringing the total expense down to ยฃ200! I can run everything maxed out at 1080p so you tell me how xpensive PC gaming is when often enough you only need to replace the graphics card? The trick is not to buy the most xpensive high end parts when you upgrade but the ones that are considered decent at the time, run everything maxed out and always shop around to save money, don't just simply buy from 1 place. The 680 is good but atm I consider it overkill.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom