GeForce GTX 680: Kickin ass, and taking names.

Death from Above
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
2nd of all I think we are reaching a graphics pinnacle, the 680 looks amazing and that new boost feature is awesome! I hope they bring it out for older cards too! I know none of these 2 companies will stop till they will probably achieve Ray Tracing graphics in real-time gaming which will be truly heaven :D. TXAA looks amazing and the real-time physics are fantastic!
I believe the boost is a physical feature of the card

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I believe the boost is a physical feature of the card
Oh damn...they made it sound like it was software/driver based.

Death from Above
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It could be

I am wrong sometimes

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well inside housing like a submarine and walking out to see only water and an empty horizon (like on the video) isn't taxing at all on the graphics card! I did the same thing today, on the same settings that you are mentioning and it spiked my fps up to 70+. What I would like to know is in what kind of environment that 77 fps that you are mentioning was reached? Watching the video on single player and on that map, getting 77+ isn't "all that"!
What?

I can't really understand you. They're talking online.

And I seriously doubt you're getting twice the FPS everyone else got with the same card man.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Plus there must have been some screen capture software recording at the same time right? Oh and I'm pretty sure that water there is completely done by the dedicated physics on Nvidia cards. Again, no comparison to any ATI card. If I remember correctly that moment when you first walk out of that door from that ship is when you get quite a FPS drop spike momentarily.

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Baaja, I dare you to record in HD, turn PhysX on, while having other applications running, and still get 75fps :p

Anyways, the card doesn't use all its power at once, in hectic moments it will overclock itself and still obtain the highest FPS it can get while still beings table.

Badassologist Ph/D
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Word of the 7990 sounds pretty terrifying.

As far as the cards go, a good comparison would be to say Intel and Nvidia are like Ferraris and AMD processors and graphics cards are like a souped up 60s muscle car. One accomplishes its goal with sheer brutal horsepower, while the other is built in a more complex manner. Neither is better. Neither is worse. =P

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Uh, what?

Are you serious?

NVIDIA's R&D is far more advanced. Their architecture is head of AMD's by a long shot.

NVIDIA has both power & complexity on their side. Their architecture is geared towards the future, wile AMD is trying to stay afloat.

AMD's stock dropped 2% when the 680 was released, and since then has gone to 4%.

If you read about the internal designs, it's amazing what NVIDIA is pushing.

I'd say NVIDIA is better, but they cost more, but their R&D is like 11 Billion while AMD's is...2 Billion, I think, so of course Intel has better toys. AMD also can't get drivers right. NVIDIA's not perfect, but you can usually play a game with a NVIDIA card upon release, while my friend with a 5970 still has trouble.

And the 7990 will be x2 7950's, so yeah, I'd damn well HOPE it beats a single card...be massively disappointing if it didn't. To everyone, even if you don't like AMD. :p

The 680 is also considered mid-end for NVIDIA, with the real Kepler launching later this year.

The 690, which will be 680'x2, will smash the 7990.

NVIDIA has better pricing, better performance, less heat, and less power usage...and more features, such as CUDA, PhysX and far more advanced OpenCL support.

Death from Above
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I've always been a nVidia fan and always will be.

Never had a radeon in my pc but my friends had and it was a pain in the arse

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
I have a 5770, the drivers have crashed quite a few times.

In a couple months I'm upgrading, I want better than 30fps ffs :p

GTX580, here I come.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Word of the 7990 sounds pretty terrifying.

As far as the cards go, a good comparison would be to say Intel and Nvidia are like Ferraris and AMD processors and graphics cards are like a souped up 60s muscle car. One accomplishes its goal with sheer brutal horsepower, while the other is built in a more complex manner. Neither is better. Neither is worse. =P
Thats why, unlike with cars, we have the chance to combine the two into one :D. Ever since my first PC I always have had an AMD processor combined with an Nvidia card. This is not to say that I don't recognize the supremacy of Intel processor supremacy but their costs hardly are worth the money when AMD makes on par processors at way more decent prices. While Nvidia cards are slightly more xpensive, the price gap is much smaller than between cross-brand processors and the prices are justified with, usually, tremendous quality.

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Maybe in the past.

But at current, Intel beats AMD in price / performance as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120.html

I'm currently upgrading my PC, been looking at parts, decided to get GPU first, CPU second, and when I was looking at mobos for SLI, I only noticed 1 on newegg that I could use that was AMD, so I looked at intel CPUs since there were a ton of intel mobos, I was actually a little blown away at the price/performance ratio.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Hmm I haven't been in the loop for a while :-/. What about the price of the Intel motherboards though? I find that AMD doesn't usually bring a new socket out unless they really need to. For eg I could've kept my AM2 motherboard and still have a Phenom II on it. As far as I know with Intel, every new line of processors brings a new socket out for them. Also the Intel one at 125 has less Cache than AMD.

On paper it seems like the quality payoffs are only seen after a certain cost threshold but in the end table I see the i3-2100 outperforms by quite a big margin the Phenom II 955. Is this because of the Smart Cache?
With the sub-$100 Pentiums performing so well, Intel's $125 Core i3-2100 easily beats more expensive Phenom II and FX models. And the $190 Core i5-2400 dominates the sub-$200 landscape without challenge, really. As such, we're almost-shockingly left without an AMD CPU to recommend at any price point.
Wish I knew this about 5 months earlier when I upgraded....

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Too be honest, you should just wait with all upgrades till the new consoles are released. Games are always based around consoles.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Too be honest, you should just wait with all upgrades till the new consoles are released. Games are always based around consoles.
Consoles will always be inferior to computers because they have to streamline an affordable kit to everybody therefore no console will ever match a high end PC unless suddenly the majority of the public will want to pay 500+ for a new console which I highly doubt considering the obscene prices on console games. I think devs tend to make games around the concept of cross-compatibility for eg. as far as I can remember any game made in the CryEngine (or was it FrostBite engine?) can be compiled for PC as well as Xbox360 + PS3. Most companies go for console only because they tend to lose profit on PC because of piracy.

Last edited:
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
I was laughing at launch of ps3/360...500$+ was their prices if I'm not mistaken.

I hate the delusion console gamers have that, just because you have the ability to upgrade a PC that you have to spend hundreds on it every month or you'll lag. I personally hope there are no more consoles -_- leave the kiddies with what they have.

Best answers
I'm not an nVidia fan boy, but i have always loved the fact that nVidia is thinking a head i mean the old 8800 can still preform decent on BF3 and Crysis 2. and i'm sure that the 680 will provide gaming for atleast a decade :)

But who knows the gaming industry is moving fast.

Also sorry for the bad grammar and English.

Only go forward sideways
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Don't know how fast is going to continue moving as Moore's Law is coming to an end slowly but surely. This means until new conductors get invented they can't go under a certain fabrication size. I think under 28mm the electricity starts to jump between them or something I remember reading about it.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, they already have as low as 4nm tech by 2020 planned.

So they got plenty of head-room left, on top of them always posting about now discoveries.

Moore's law is out-dated and no longer really applies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom