GeForce 2

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would say H is best *EDIT* (of what you limited the choises too). It's really very rare that a video board would use more than 32MB of ram if you have a decent system. On that note definately upgrade to an Athlon XP. Bruno's suggestions are good but pricey (but nothing compared to what you'd pay for a P4 with RAMBUS). If budget is important get at least an Athlon rated at XP 1500+ (1.33 GHz) But i wouldn't suggest cutting corners on the mainboard or video. Get a N-Force chipset motherboard and you won't have to buy a video card.

Retired
Best answers
i think you should buy an athlon too, cause it's cheaper and more stable. but i disagree with cucumba, cause a GF2 MX wont last in the games buisness. you will have to update it very fast. i think you should take an ASUS mainboard. and spend money on the vidcard, cause that is the "thing" that needs upgrading a lot. so buy a good one now and have fun longer :)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, he excluded E & F and did not include a Ge(GeeICostalot)Force3 card, or I would have told him to get a Raedon 8500. But why not get a NForce? The on board GeForce2 supposedly performs nearly identacle to the GeForce3. Coupled with a healthy load of DDR SDRAM and an Athlon XP1500+ should be fine for anyone who isn't running a web server. There would be room to upgrade to a XP 1900+ and room for more ram. It won't be the best but he seems to be looking for a budget machine. A monster machine is a bit different.

Best answers
would the all in wonder radeon 8500dv be better than the radeon 8500?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's been my experience that the more things you try to cram on one peice of silicon (with the exception of on die cache) the less stable it gets. If you're looking for all the bells and whistles of the all-in-wonder series be my guest, but if you just want a solid graphics card go for the Raedon 8500.

Best answers
Originally posted by Cucumba!
My card can't seriously be worse than yours! I'm still on PCI! Cripes!
From what i know, the best PCI card is a Ge-force2mx 64mb

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have an AGP port just nothing to put in it. I usually spend money on my car. :p And in case you didn't read the earlier posts I have a voodoo 3.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Weapon X infact the 8500DV AIW is clocked slower than the deafault 8500 so that errors are less common and that it is a stable card because if it was clocked equally high as the normal 8500 it would be as stable as a elephant on a pin head!

FYI:
A 7500 redeon is nothing more than a normal Radeon Clocked alot higher (it uses the old core it does not implement all the things that the 8500 can use!)

Ya I recommended him a MONSTER MACHINE which would cost him a bomb!:devil:Whoops:devil:

N-Force chipset does not equal geforce3 proformance!!!

N-Force is a geforce2 MX chipset and is going to be dated very very soon so i dont think it is a viable soulution! (although it has got the best onboard graphics out off all onboard graphics!) Just stick with a separate card it will be alot more productive.

Thats All.

BrunO

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't forget Bruno that the N-Force is on the northbridge which gives it a whopping advantage over ANYTHING you plug in that AGP slolt. Even if you decide to plug in another card the N-Force boards have better chipsets and offer performance gains without using the onboard graphics too. I'm siting a Maximum PC magazine benchmark too buddy, 10 points higheron the benchmark is what I would call "better". If you need proof I'll dig up the issue number and page.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its is IMPOSSIBLE that a Geforce2MX Chipset can beat out a Geforce3 and FYI the AGP Bus is a clear path directly to the memory and CPU so why does that give it and advantage, also the N-Force is not on the Northbridge it is placed near it and you can actually see it on the motherboard it says nVidia N-Force on the chipset! Come on dont be stupid a Generation Old Chipset beating the current fastest graphics card out!

Hard|OCP All the Info you need! Just check the Past reviews!

BrunO

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just reporting what I read dude. And that still doesn't ixnay the fact that the chipset is good. No need to call me stupid.

And the N-Force chipset REPLACES the northbridge. *edit* (from the site you posted: "nForce is NVIDIA's new northbridge and southbridge to be utilized on mainboards. . . If the nForce lives up to the expectations that surround it, you may never again use the terms "northbridge" or "southbridge" when referring to this product.
") The GeForce2 processor is connected to that chipset.

Page 26 PC World December Issue

"In test with popular games, we found virtually no visable difference at many resolutions between a system running a NVidia's integrated graphics and and the same system with a GeForce 3 card. The GeForce 3 Card pulled ahead however when we went to 1280 by 1024 and above, at 32 bit color."

The same article goes on to say that an athlon 1200 matched several athlon 1333's (1 point difference) and performed well compared to P4 system specs.

The Maximum PC issue I read used a XP 1900+ and the results were even better. The point is that the system as a whole performed better. That doesn't mean that the GeForce2 processor performed better. It means that the WHOLE DAMN THING WORKED BETTER. The fact of the matter is that for a BUDGET system no one is going to shell out for a 1280x1024 monitor or above.

*edit* (Twin Bank Memory Architecture is laid out pretty simple as this: 128-bit DDR "Intelligent" Memory Interface utilizing NVIDIA's Crossbar Memory Controller (that is stock on the GeForce3 Vid cards) that ends up producing for us 4.2GB per seconds of bandwidth between the IGP and the 266MHz DDR memory. Now while this may sound as though we are just throwing out numbers, keep in mind this is four times the memory bandwidth supplied by PC133 SDRam. Also a single channel of RAMBUS only supplies 1.6GB/s or 3.2GB/s in dual channel configurations like the Pentium4 uses.

Considering that CPUs over 1GHz can theoretically consume 2.1GB/s you see that one of the big bottlenecks of the "old" basic mainboard platform is memory bandwidth and of course the dreaded latency.)

I will admit, however, that I made it sound like the GeForce 2 could keep up. I apologize.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i got.... wait... i dont know what i got....

all i know is that its good enough to run all the games i have decently...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry cucumba for calling you stupid.

I thought you said that the N-Force board used the GPU(graphics processing unit) as the northbridge, sorry for that misunderstanding.

Peace Out

BrunO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom