Gay Pride parade cancelled.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Alright. I am posting this because I wanna talk about the "gay pride" parade that was supposed to go on today in Belgrade, the capital city of Serbia. It was called off because the authorities considered it to be a tad too dangerous and risky for the participants of said parade, dangerous because, sadly, in this country, homophobia is still at large, and I don't see it declining any time soon.

Now, I am not a homophobe, nor do I have anything against gay people, but I am still against this parade. Why? Well firstly, because it's pointless. What is there for the gays to gain from having this parade? Nothing, except a day where they openly declare and shout out that they're homosexuals.

Now, some people might say it's good to be proud of what you are. WRONG! Being proud of being gay is the same as being a goddamn patriot. It makes no sense. How can you be proud of something that you've not earned through your own effort, something that is your birthright? The only thing to be proud of when it comes to being gay, is the effort they put into being able to live like normal people, while still being gay. But such a success is an individual success, not something shared by all the gays. Infact, I'm sure that a lot of the gays that would show up at this parade, are still scared to admit their homosexuality to others, in fear of the consequences. Now, if the gays as a whole had changed something, for example, how society sees them, or some bizarre law that is crippling their rights, then there would have been a reason for a parade. A reason to celebrate something. Now, there's absolutely nothing to celebrate.

Lemme ask you something. How come the gays never protested for their rights? How come they never clogged our traffic and marched on Belgrade, demanding that their rights be granted by the state? Instead, they want to clog our traffic by celebrating something that they haven't achieved. I could bet my left arm that, since the day I was born, up until now, not a single important law concerning homosexuality has been changed in my country. And I'm 17, so that means something, people.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gay people are not proud to be gay, but they are proud to admit that they are gay. The Gay Pride has been a succes for many years here in the Netherlands, even attracting many non-gay people (even though they don't take part in the parade, they do watch it).

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7jDMmmLjL3Y&hl=nl&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7jDMmmLjL3Y&hl=nl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

If you want to ban these parades, because they are 'pointless'. You might as well ban all concerts of your favorite rock bands as well, why view them live when you can just listen to your CD? Well...just because you can, actually.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Gay people are not proud to be gay, but they are proud to admit that they are gay. The Gay Pride has been a succes for many years here in the Netherlands, even attracting many non-gay people (even though they don't take part in the parade, they do watch it).
The Netherlands are a completely different world. If the gay parade was held today, there would be bloodshed in Belgrade. I'm not kidding. Gays would get beat, homophobes would get beat, even cops would get beat. All I'm saying is, this country is no place for a gay parade until the circumstances are better than they are. There are a LOT of homophobes here. It would bring more bad than it would good.

If you want to ban these parades, because they are 'pointless'. You might as well ban all concerts of your favorite rock bands as well, why view them live when you can just listen to your CD? Well...just because you can, actually.
Ah, but a rock concert won't clog our traffic, now will it? This is an event that effects the whole city, for a whole day. You can't compare the two. And another thing; if gays can have their own parade, why not offer the same luxury to every other minority in the country? Gypsies, romanians, hungarians, disabled/retarded people, etc.?

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
You live in a social environment where homosexuals aren't even allowed to have a parade, a jovial event at worst, due to safety concerns and yet you wonder why they haven't taken to the streets and began rioting? Clearly, they are not safe so making themselves a soft target and making people feel like they may actually be a threat is probably not the best course of action.

You don't have to have accomplished something to have a parade. We still have Thanksgiving Day parades despite not being around however many years ago armed with smallpox blankets and what have you. Its really nothing more than a party with a theme. Why party when nothing amazing has happened? Because. That's why.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i agree with dzamija, to a degree. these gay pride parades you find all over the country are just worthless and demeaning. saying your proud to be gay or proud to admit your gay just tells the world how little progress were having on equality.

you can and should be proud to be yourself. you shouldnt be proud of your preferences. thats just means that you cant find anything else to be proud of and its kinda sad. btw, i dont care if your gay, straight, black, or white (including shades in-between). people are people.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont mind gays but what ticks me off is stuff like this.

Why do you need a ****ing parade o_O

Cause if they get one i ****ing want one to >.<

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont mind gays but what ticks me off is stuff like this.

Why do you need a ****ing parade o_O

Cause if they get one i ****ing want one to >.<
Fair enough. ^_^

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if they can have a gay pride parade, to celebrate something something that is "predetermined at birth"

I want a white pride parade, I wonder how well that would fly over.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if they can have a gay pride parade, to celebrate something something that is "predetermined at birth"

That would be classed as Rasist.

And having a Straight pride parade would be classed as homophobic.

Then people complain about rights >.<

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

I agree. But why stop there? We can have a parade one day a year for each minority, because I'm certain that, at least here, they suffer equally as much as gays do (saying you're Hungarian, for example, in certain parts of my town will get you beat and robbed.).

How can gays expect to be accepted like normal people into their society if they keep acting abnormal? No one's making a straight parade, so if they want to be so equal, why are they making hypocrites out of themselves with this parade?

You live in a social environment where homosexuals aren't even allowed to have a parade, a jovial event at worst, due to safety concerns and yet you wonder why they haven't taken to the streets and began rioting? Clearly, they are not safe so making themselves a soft target and making people feel like they may actually be a threat is probably not the best course of action.

You don't have to have accomplished something to have a parade. We still have Thanksgiving Day parades despite not being around however many years ago armed with smallpox blankets and what have you. Its really nothing more than a party with a theme. Why party when nothing amazing has happened? Because. That's why.
It's obviously not just a party. If it was just a party, then the gays wouldn't have declined when their parade was supposed to be moved to Ušće (another part of town, instead of it going throughout the whole town, for safety reasons), stating that the reason they're holding the parade in the first place is to show people that they're equal citizens (which is hypocritical, as I stated earlier). It was more of a riot being passed as a parade, because they thought they'd be in less danger than in an actual riot. And I don't think they'd accomplish anything with it. They have to fight for their rights, as people before them have. It's simply like that, and as long as humans remain the barbaric race we are, it'll remain the same.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Woo, down with the gays!

But in all seriousness, let people go their way. 'cause, ya know, "if gay is your way that's okay". :p

And yeah, this kind of discussions are WAY to indepth for me. I say... sex is good!
If you wanna have it with the same sex, than why not!

Be gay!
Be straight!

Have SEX!

Woo! :D

P.S.: Even Nickelback says so! Go, go, people!!!

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why put the predetermined at birth part in like that?

Anyway, for the Netherlands I personally believe it's not so much about gay rights anymore, sure we still have discrimination and homophobia but this well..
I don't know how to put it into words perfectly but it's more of a huge event, were the theme is "gay".
Also, it's quite fun event too.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Why put the predetermined at birth part in like that?

Anyway, for the Netherlands I personally believe it's not so much about gay rights anymore, sure we still have discrimination and homophobia but this well..
I don't know how to put it into words perfectly but it's more of a huge event, were the theme is "gay".
Also, it's quite fun event too.
Again, that would be a gay parade in the Netherlands. Our gays don't see it that way. Our gays see it as a riot, because their rights are endangered here.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Well we have black history month and other multi-cultural things that are of that nature, as their are still minorities' rights groups affiliated with events on those days, gays have a gay pride gay parade.

Me and my girlfriend have friends who are gay, and we went with them. plus afterward there was a party with beer. but the football game is about to start so I had to come home. Had a good time.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I hear this all the time really. Admittedly, minority groups get the sympathy and encouragement when they have their pride-based events, and if there were a white parade just to say "hey we're white and we're not ashamed!", it would seem unfairly treated.

But honestly.That's why we are called "minorities". Gays have been preyed on for decades. Even though a race parade is not completely relevant to a sexual orientation parade, all non-white races were met with resistance from their white counterparts when they first began integrating in to this country. They do not have these parades to say "hah! I'm better than you!", but that "we've persevered". Essentially, these protesters that called homosexuality evil, blacks unequal,Hispanics inferior, and Japanese "potential spies" were usually white.

Keep in mind I did not say "only white people hate gays", "white people are evil" or even "white people were the most violent towards the gays". Many black and Hispanic communities seem to be rather homophobic.

But it kills me when I see a white person scratching their head to why certain groups of people get their recognitions while white people get "nothing". If I may generalize, you have everything else <_<. You are essentially the "default" race. When people think of "an American", they probably think of a white guy. When you tell a story about "a guy", the "guy" is always assumed to be white, so you have to say "Asian guy" or something to denote race. 43/44 of our Presidents were white men.

It's not like white people shouldn't recognize who they are, it's just that showing your specific achievements or "struggle" would be redundant.

Some things bother me about gay parades actually. I have nothing against gays, but it is simply a sexual orientation. It does not automatically mean "flamboyant" or "promiscuous", and yet you always see that kind of stuff at parades. You could have a manly-man lumberjack who pits on the floor and benches 400 lbs, and he could be attracted to man. The flamboyant stuff seems distancing if you ask me.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm looking forward to the day we all have the "Proud to be Human" parade, but I doubt that'll happen in our lifetime.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm looking forward to the day we all have the "Proud to be Human" parade, but I doubt that'll happen in our lifetime.
I actually think it would be the other way around; that aliens would be the disadvantaged minority.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
If you want a parade, its as simple as going to your city council with the logistics and requesting one. A gay pride parade is not a big deal. They happen everywhere.
Homosexuals are a minority and sometimes minorities like to remind the majority that, "Hey, we exist. Stop treating us like garbage btw." Are there parades for different ethnic groups? Absolutely and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm not nationalistic nor do I care where your great grandfather came from, but if you do, cool. Have a party.

"Your gays" are no different than "our gays". Just throwing that out there.

I don't see what the big deal is about letting them have a parade and having the discipline not to go on a murderous rampage because they have the audacity to be different. The gypsies could use a few parades too.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
If you want a parade, its as simple as going to your city council with the logistics and requesting one. A gay pride parade is not a big deal. They happen everywhere.
Homosexuals are a minority and sometimes minorities like to remind the majority that, "Hey, we exist. Stop treating us like garbage btw." Are there parades for different ethnic groups? Absolutely and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm not nationalistic nor do I care where your great grandfather came from, but if you do, cool. Have a party.

"Your gays" are no different than "our gays". Just throwing that out there.

I don't see what the big deal is about letting them have a parade and having the discipline not to go on a murderous rampage because they have the audacity to be different. The gypsies could use a few parades too.
Thank you for that one.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, but a rock concert won't clog our traffic, now will it? This is an event that effects the whole city, for a whole day. You can't compare the two. And another thing; if gays can have their own parade, why not offer the same luxury to every other minority in the country? Gypsies, romanians, hungarians, disabled/retarded people, etc.?

dude... concerts, football matches, carnivals. they clog up our traffic here any time there is one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom