Games not doing too good with vista...

Best answers
Hey. I just got vista, and I can't really play any games anymore. I've lost about 10-15 fps in every game, i can't even play wc3 without it being really slow and unplayable. Everything ran smooth as silk before when i was on XP. So, is this the cost of switching to vista? I'm not sure i have the right drivers installed or anything like that, that might be the case. All i have gotten after the switch to vista was... the directx version i had when i was on xp.... newst nvidia drivers... and i think that's it.

So can anyone suggest something that might help me out? thanks in advance

my specs are.

Intel Penitum 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
1022MB RAM

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To Get games faster, buy yourself more Ram and a better Gfx Card, and maybe a new processor.

Vista is expressed to be for gamers, but the raw truth is that it's the opposite (atleast for now).

I'd Suggest you as Gfx Card: Geforce 8800 GTX or GTS, and as processor Intel Core 2 duo E6400, which is in this fair bargain.
The Ram you have to think on, what type of ram can go to your computer etc.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Switch back to XP for now is all the advice we can give you I would think

Best answers
Switch back to XP for now is all the advice we can give you I would think
indeed. unless you feel like spending over $1000 on new parts just for vista.

Vista -needs- 4GB of ram to run smoothly.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Intel Penitum 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
1022MB RAM
Upgrade that processor, Pick up a cheap Pentium 4 Northwood off ebay, The Early Pentium 4's were never good performers, Especially the willamates
Infact clock for clock the Pentium 3 Tualatin out performed the Pentium 4, And so did the Early thunderbirds and palominos'.

Currently I am running Vista on a:
Pentium M 2.0Ghz (Vista Classes it as a 3.0ghz processor).
Mobility Radeon 9700pro 64Mb
1024Mb of DDR Ram.
And for me it runs perfectly, Keep running your games the FPS seems to get better over time, as Vista remembers your favorite programs and caches them for better performance.
Ideally you only need 512Mb of ram, But be sure to get a flash disk to use as a ready boost drive.
A good balance is 1gb which you and I have.
2Gb is optimal.

Basically my conclusion of memory requirements is:
If you needed 512Mb with XP you WILL need 1gb with Vista.
1Gb with XP you will need 1.5gb or 2gb with Vista.

Personally I didn't notice a performance decrease. And I noticed Windows Vista became "Snappier" and more responsive with a ready boost drive.

Keep an eye out for updated drivers, Infact try out the Omega drivers or NGHO Nvidia drivers. Overclock a little and you should be set.

Also if your processor is a northwood it may be your lucky day! the 1.8Ghz Northy's were great overclockers :)

http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=66901

ndeed. unless you feel like spending over $1000 on new parts just for vista.

Should I comment on that? It seriously seems like a spur of the moment post. Vista doesn't need 4Gb of ram. If you run Vista Ultimate 32bit edition you should only need 1-2gb at the most. And considering if you have 4gb of ram installed it only reads it as 3.5gb (Only if you have the 32bit version) kinda makes the 4gb point moot. (I think that was with XP not sure if it happens in vista).
Vista is supposed to use a large chunk of Ram, Because it caches everything!
And besides, As history has shown every NEW OS release required higher system requirements, Otherwise we may as well be using our 486's running Vista.

I have the set-up a "test box" for Vista.
Celeron 850 @ 1ghz.
512Mb of ram at timings of 2-2-2 (SDRAM)
And a Geforce FX 5700LE
I can run Aero fine, No stutters its fine. It takes a little longer for things to load, But whats holding it back is the Ram, I can still Play UT2003/UT2004/FarCry/StarCraft/ESF/Quake3/Serious Sam/Diablo2/Dungeon Siege Which is the goal of the system as Its used as file storage and as a basic gaming computer for a friend and do network gaming. I could theoretically install 1gb of ram into the system, But it wont take my 256Mb sticks. (4 banks) so Instead I have 4 128 sticks.

Best answers
Why did you get VIsta on a rig like that....-_-. You should have spent the money on a new CPU.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Heres some benchies of gaming performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917&p=18

Overall XP is about 6% faster than Vista, although the 3DMark06 CPU score is nearly 13% higher on XP than it is on Vista. As a 32-bit benchmark, it's once again good to see no negative performance difference between the Vista x86 and x64 versions.
Overclock that Processor, thats whats holding ya back :)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Turning off hardware acceleration of sound in those games might help too, as the direct x api directsound, no longer exists. Making calls to it and waiting for a "up yours" response from Vista might cause issues.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tsunami said:
More like 1gb to run smoothly, 2gb for games. I only have 1gb on Vista, no problems.

I'd seriously consider a hardware upgrade if you're going to use Vista for gaming. Wait 'til the price of DX10 cards comes down then make the jump. Currently XP is much better for games. Also nVidia's driver support for Vista is far from stellar.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've heard that 1GB for ReadyBoost works really well if you only have 1GB of RAM. So I would advice getting a 1GB USB stick and us it with ReadyBoost to see if you can get any extra speed.

Best answers
These ready boost things... are like extra ram? im confused... so you just plug it in and its like you have more ram?

Best answers
It just stores small cached files for easier access by the computer than a HDD. You won't really notice it if you have a gig+ of RAM and a decent (read: not crappy) HDD.

Best answers
Ohh ok. And also. I look on ngohq's and omega drivers and it seems like they only have drivers for win2000/xp... it wont work on vista.. right?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not all USB drives are ReadyBoost supported, I have a 1gb drive that doesn't so I bought a 512mb one that does. I don't really notice a difference, though the Resources Manager (a more detailed Task Manager) shows better performance.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
indeed. unless you feel like spending over $1000 on new parts just for vista.

Not true. At all. I get decent FPS in everything I play--1GB of PC-3200 and a 7600GS(512MB) right now. Some games, though, give me a "bluescreen of death," but it seems to be only games that use NET Framework (like Gunz: The Duel, MapleStory, Gunbound, etc).

I've noticed a hit in fps from WoW and a few other games, but it seems to be mostly from the fact that the way Vista functions, games that use DirectSound/EAX can't use hardware acceleration and it ends up hurting the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom