Gamer Study Released

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you know that there are roughly 117 million active gamers in the United States? Did you know that 56 percent of them play games online and that 64 percent of all online gamers are women? These are the kinds of statistics that Nielsen Entertainment reveals in its third annual Active Gamer Benchmark Study, which was just released yesterday. You'll have to shell out some big bucks to see the entire study, but the company did release a few tidbits of info.

The study finds that 40 percent of active gamers are teenagers and almost eight percent -- 15 million gamers -- are 45 years or older. Men outnumber women overall in the game space by more than two to one, but two-thirds of online gamers are women. Nielsen also says that the largest percentage of casual gamers is comprised of older females.

Yesterday's release includes a quote from Senior Vice President of Nielsen Interactive Entertainment, Emily Della Maggiora, saying, "The Active Gamer 2006 Report comes at a pivotal time in the evolution of the video game industry. The expansion of next generation hardware and technology in the marketplace is simultaneously delivering new ecosystems of social exchange, interactive entertainment, media experiences and advertising models. We see everyday how important online gaming is in terms of connecting people and bringing communities of gamers together. From a simple battle in Halo to a more immersive communal experience, online gaming has the power to unite gamers across the street and/or around the world."

According to the study, 90% of games are still purchased in retail stores, while the rest are purchased online. It also says that active gamers spend an average of $58 a week on entertainment and spend an average of 47 hours playing each game they purchase. The survey was conducted online from July 3 to July 9. Over two thousand active gamers who were 13 years or older participated in it.
Source: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/737/737725p1.html

Discuss!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
$58 a week on entertainment and spend an average of 47 hours playing each game they purchase
Uhh... no.

Best answers
frsrblch said:
Uhh... no.
Uhhh... yes xD

Also Frs, you've just reached your 666th post.

Very intersting find, perhaps more women are getting interesting in gaming then what, 10 years ago? I would be surprised if I didn't play once without a girl in my guild >.>

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Girls>Guys online?

I must begin asking "asl" again...

But that's very funky indeed. I don't play a lot of online games (Halo, City of hereos and ESF being the main ones), and the only one that I see a amount of girls is in City of Hereos.

Good to know that the online gaming community ain't a sausage fest, but for women to be the majority, that's unexpected.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nah.

This is crap. Nielsen has inaccurate methods of gathering their data; if it's how they do TV stuff, then every like 100th person counts for a percentage rather than actually giving statistics accurately.

Look at the report. Most of it is simply not possibly true.

64 percent of all online gamers are women
No. WoW and City of Heroes can't tip the scales that much, sorry.

Nielsen also says that the largest percentage of casual gamers is comprised of older females.
No, it's young kids who can't afford to be anything more.

The expansion of next generation hardware and technology in the marketplace is simultaneously delivering new ecosystems of social exchange, interactive entertainment, media experiences and advertising models.
**** you Nielsen, save your advertising bull**** for somewhere the **** else. You don't do it to sports, don't do it to us.

We see everyday how important online gaming is in terms of connecting people and bringing communities of gamers together
In a week these same types of corporate republican pieces of **** will fund a convenient counterstudy that claims we are comprised entirely of morbidly obese middle schoolers who want to murder their classmates.

It also says that active gamers spend an average of $58 a week on entertainment and spend an average of 47 hours playing each game they purchase.
What a crock of ****. Numbers artificially inflated to generate a buzz with advertisers.

The survey was conducted online from July 3 to July 9. Over two thousand active gamers who were 13 years or older participated in it.
1.) They spent less than a ****ing week gathering this info. 2.) 2000 people isn't even 1/25th of the Counterstrike community, for ****'s sake.

What a bunch of hot rhino ****.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Nah.

This is crap. Nielsen has inaccurate methods of gathering their data; if it's how they do TV stuff, then every like 100th person counts for a percentage rather than actually giving statistics accurately.

**** you Nielsen, save your advertising bull**** for somewhere the **** else. You don't do it to sports, don't do it to us.

In a week these same types of corporate republican pieces of **** will fund a convenient counterstudy that claims we are comprised entirely of morbidly obese middle schoolers who want to murder their classmates.

What a crock of ****. Numbers artificially inflated to generate a buzz with advertisers.

1.) They spent less than a ****ing week gathering this info. 2.) 2000 people isn't even 1/25th of the Counterstrike community, for ****'s sake.

I agree completely.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's just a servey, you can believe it or not, it's your choice. I just thought it would be interesting to post it here but apparently no one shares an equal interest. I apologize then for posting what appears to be a misleading servey.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Nah.

Whoa, calm down tiger.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just get pissed when the industry deals with us as a group as if they have a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom