Gamer Sentenced for a real life kill

Best answers
wtf was this all about??!?!?!? T_T well theyr chinese. (no offence)

Best answers
That's one gamer who is taking games way too seriously. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the reputation of the game he was playing or someone doesn't try to sue the game because that would be rediculous.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's awesome.

I've seen things like that happen in Diablo II, people would 'xfer' (transfer) items between two characters on the same account. To do this they'd have to give an item to a 3rd party, quit the server, then come back with their new character and reclaim the item. Of course, there was nothing stopping the 3rd party doing a runner with the item, especially if it was something of great (real life) value.

http://www.weid2.com/ItemDisplay.php?realm=129&cat=2

Of course, prices have dropped because barely anyone plays Diablo II anymore, but 4 years ago it wasn't uncommon to see a Windforce Bow going for $90.

A sword for $840? Must've been a hell of a weapon, no wonder he killed him.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
That person takes things too seriously.

For Diablo 2 a good thing to do when you are transfering items via 3rd party is to set your current characters save file to Read-Only ;) Then if the 3rd party runs away then you still have the item :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think that works online, or people could duplicate items very easily and sell them :)

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
It should work online as it still reads from the same save file :p

And most the time when people are trying to find ways to dupe items they are looking to do it all in-game, remember, not everyone is good with files :p

Best answers
Yeah but if you get caught they would ban you from the game.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
That's why you don't just do it all day, only a couple of times as I don't think they'd monitor someone logging out a couple of times.

Best answers
They could notice that you always log in and out really fast and then watch you the next time and catch you. Another person who plays the game could tell them too. They could also notice your instant sucess in the game and then see that you haven't actually played it for very long and then ban you.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Well you don't have to long in and out really quickly. Only dupe for people who you trust. Instant success? It would take you a while to get an item worth duping in the first place. Anyway, this is going a tad off topic.

I did once hear about two guys in Korea who played an MMORPG and they fought in PvP, one killed the other and it was one of the games where you drop your weapon when you die, the winner took the weapon, the loser went around to the guy's house in real life, beat him up, and forced him to give back the weapon. Talk about sore loser eh?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All the people really need to do is go outside more.
But it was also uncool to sell it after you said can I borrow it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, some people are soo stupid.

Those guys need to get a damn life. Buncha dorks.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cap J said:
That person takes things too seriously.

For Diablo 2 a good thing to do when you are transfering items via 3rd party is to set your current characters save file to Read-Only ;) Then if the 3rd party runs away then you still have the item :p
Not possible. Since Diablo II's character file arnt stored on your own computer, you cant do this. The character data is in the server itself by Blizzard. This is with all games, thats how people can steal accounts and take your stuff from other computers.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cap J said:
It should work online as it still reads from the same save file :p

And most the time when people are trying to find ways to dupe items they are looking to do it all in-game, remember, not everyone is good with files :p

if you play on open bnet that may have worked,but on closed bnet (where 90% of the online community plays) the character files are stored on blizzards servers. preventing a simple trick such as this from working.

on D2, anyone who relid on a 3rd part to transfer items was an idiot, you could do it all in your lonesome. when you create a game, if you stay in it about 2 minutes (sometimes i left instantly and it still worked flawlessly) the game will stay open for about 2-4 minutes. thats ample time to switch characters and come back in to cllect the goods.

i only had friends help with transferring stuff when i wanted to show off ^^. like my ethereal zod'd hellslayer, (i think thats what that powerful unique axe is called) it did as much damage as the infamous ith blades. but was 100% legit. (its a pity though they banned my 6 east accounts for dupin on west on a dummy account lol)

kk, now back to the topic at hand, ive seen finds get in arguments or fist fights over stolen items in games. doesnt strike me as so odd that someone would resort to murder nowadays. sure the items dont technically exist outside of the videogame. but INSIDE the videogame alot of time (and sometimes money) was spent trying to acquire it and when the item dissappears you cant do anything to get it back and all of your time/money was or nothing. and videogames or not nobody enjoys having thier stuff stolen.

Best answers
This is pretty sad. I heard about the initial murder a long time back, and the sentence a few weeks ago. They're both fools for stealing/killing and I have no sympathy what so ever. It just pisses me off that this kind of thing gives anti videogame people a motherload of ammunition to throw at video game companies. Thankfully, I've not seen this case on British TV as of yet. No doubt the ignorant fools would have credited the murder to "violent" videogames, despite the fact that it was entirely down to real life money. At least someone in this thread cheered me up though;

Those guys need to get a damn life.
A little irony never goes amiss.

Best answers
nuttzy said:
kk, now back to the topic at hand, ive seen finds get in arguments or fist fights over stolen items in games. doesnt strike me as so odd that someone would resort to murder nowadays. sure the items dont technically exist outside of the videogame. but INSIDE the videogame alot of time (and sometimes money) was spent trying to acquire it and when the item dissappears you cant do anything to get it back and all of your time/money was or nothing. and videogames or not nobody enjoys having thier stuff stolen.
True, but it's still pretty messed up to kill someone over a damn GAME.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it wasnt over the game, it was over the theft of his property, virtual or otherwise >_>.

Best answers
True, but it's still pretty messed up to kill someone over a damn GAME.
That's the thing. Chances are he didn't kill him over the game, he probably killed him over the $870 he lost out on. If someone refused to give you back an item from your house that was worth that much, I'd dare say you'd be a little bit pissed off aswell. That's no excuse of course, killing him was still taking it too far, but people ought to understand that it wasn't just over a game.#

Edit: Damn, Nuttzy beat me to it ;(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, this is very sad. Idiot takes another guys life over a virtual file...There is no price for a life.

This reminds me of a local story I read about a guy who was addicted to GTA3. The story seemed like it was put out there to try and get games like GTA off of the shelves. The guy would play GTA3 every second he possibly could, he became very violent when anyone would try and interrupt him. He ended up killing some girl, who I think was his neighbor, he killed her with a bedpost and beat her repeatedly. He said "I didn't do it because of a video game."....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom