Gamer Sentenced for a real life kill

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's all entirely irrelevant, really. It's almost exactly the same as if you lent somebody your car and they sold it, then you killed them. It's one guy selling another guy's stuff, it doesn't really have anything to do with a video game, that just happened to be where the property was handled. People who turn stuff like this into arguments against online gaming are hard pressed to find real issues on the subject. If that kid was willing to kill over a virtual sword he would have killed over a real one for the same value just as easily.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
on D2, anyone who relid on a 3rd part to transfer items was an idiot, you could do it all in your lonesome. when you create a game, if you stay in it about 2 minutes (sometimes i left instantly and it still worked flawlessly) the game will stay open for about 2-4 minutes. thats ample time to switch characters and come back in to cllect the goods.
I didn't think you could dupe on Closed Battlenet, but to be honest it's safer to xfer with a 3rd party than to create server, drop item and then return, due to two factors:

1. Battlenet's downtime, I stopped playing two years ago and around the time I quit the servers were so unreliable that you could drop, leave then come back to find your server's been taken down along with all the others. At least with the 3rd party your item wouldn't vanish along with the server.

2. Getting disconnected, if your own connection goes down for whatever reason then by the time you've reconnected and logged in again your server would be gone. Sucks for people on 56k (which at the time was a lot of people).

The only way to do it safely was to make sure you knew the 3rd party well. I had one of my guildmates xfer two 'SoJ's (Stone of Jordan's) and then he ran away, next day he quit the guild and traded my SoJ's himself.

I felt like killing him.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Thing is though, all the argument about "oh violent video games make people violent" is really a load of crap, it's all down to the individual that's playing them, I've been playing violent video games, and watching violent tv all of my life and I personally don't like violence (in real life that is, I'm quite happy to spend hours beating old ladies to pulp with a baseball bat in GTA games).

And what REALLY annoys me is when they say stuff like "little jimmy killed his younger brother after playing [insert violent game here]" and the parents try to sue the companies, it doesn't occure to them that the age rating is there for a reason.....dumb parents really.

What I find really funny though is when they contribute all of the violence around down to tv and games as if violence is a new thing "ZOMG!! wurld wor 1 an 2 wer du to violent games being made in da future!". That's right folks, violence didn't exist until games were made, you heard it here first at ESF-News, breath taking revealments at affordable prices.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-12-01&res=l
The comic is from last year but shows how stupid people can be.

EDIT:

In fact, it's amazing what people try to pin on video games, even if it's not violence. At one point there was this thing about a guy dying after playing video games, he was a known epileptic that had fits from watching tv sometimes, and he died after having a rather bad fit after having played whatever Nintendo console he had for over 24 hours straight! There's even a warning in the front of every manual that says to take 15min breaks every hour! Clearly his fault. What's his mother go and do? tries to sue Nintendo.....yes....like that would ever have worked.

I apologise if I went on a bit and maybe a bit off-topic but I really hate the whole games = violence thing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't forget the mother who tried to sue (I think it was) Rare or Nintendo for (possibly) Goldeneye, after her son learned how to use a knife to kill. As if it was a hard task and he wasn't quite sure which end of the knife he was supposed to hold, so turned to video games for inspiration.

-JLN- said:
A little irony never goes amiss.
Hehe :]

Best answers
OMFG THAT CHINESE GUY HAS WALLHACKS. Thats how he stabbed him in the heart. He knew that if he put on his wallhacks he could locate his heart through the rib wall and stab him. Thats why he had his aim-bot on. Then he farmed that sword that he could sell on ebay for 800 dollars. Then the E-cops came and got him, and he was like, ^____^ what a nice sword i just got. And they were like, PUT UP YOUR SHIELDS GUYS! I WANT A 2/3 SPLIT, USE YOUR HAND GRENADES AND SMOKES, MOVE IN AT 1:10 AND PLANT THE BOMB.

Thats how he will be executed. terrorists win.

LOLOL..

admin_rcon exec hitpoints.cfg

thats what i would have done. i would have lived. i have kelvar on all the time.

on topic:

thats sad.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hamppu said:
wtf was this all about??!?!?!? T_T well theyr chinese. (no offence)
I'm going to have to ask you to refrain from such generalized and slightly racist comments.

It is very inappropiate and ignorant to consider all of China's citizens as blood thirsty samurai.

Best answers
What's sad is that these things are allegedly becoming more and more common. I've heard on the news more than a few times about a guy that killed another guy because of a guild war in counter-strike...

What REALLY miffs me is that the news, media and every f***tard parent who's too damned lazy to raise their own kid are gonna end up pissin' and moanin' about gettin the damned games off the shelves because they make people evil :rolleyes:

So many arguments have already been made on this subject, it's kind of hard to keep on, really.

I love a good argument as much as the next jackass, but I can only argue the same point so many times, y'know? Especially when others have already argued the point for me with the exact same sentiments I harbor.

Edit: Synth, the Samurai weren't bloodthirsty o_o

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think some people are missing the point. he didnt take his life because of a virtual item. he took his life over the fact that he worked hard to posess something, lent it in good faith, and that item was then sold for REAL money, not in game credits. it was sold for REAL money. so basically the guy robbed him of his 800 or so bucks.

sounds like a motive to me >_>

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
Synth, the Samurai weren't bloodthirsty o_o
Notice the adjective before the noun, giving the noun a personificative description.
-

Either way, when it comes to mmorpgs some things take time and devotion. I mean it took me a week of countless hours to get level 21 on WoW. But, to take an actual life over something materalistic, the motive obviously, is definately wrong on any account or actual reference to vengeance. The sword can be replaced, the person can't.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synth said:
The sword can be replaced, the person can't.

the rise in global population says your wrong.

also, arent samurai japanese?

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
also, arent samurai japanese?
Does this actually matter?

My point was made, hopefully clear enough for everyone, including you.

Now... keep this thread on topic.

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wait Wait Wait where did the sword end up in all of this?

Best answers
Haha! Amagine the police knocking on your door asking to see your char.?

"Exuse me sir...We, ummm...need to take a look at your video game..."

That would be funny...kinda... :laff:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they would do the same if you were suspected for software piracy

i really don't get it , why spend that much money on an item for a game ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom