Game Series That Should Retire

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
You all whine way too much, most of the games you've mentioned is what keeps gaming industry where it's at today in the first place.

Aslong as the games are good and enjoyable i see absolutely no reason why they would ever "kill" a series.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol josh.

that's like the pot calling a ****** black xD (we need to make a picture for that)*

and for the record, while a lot of the games mentioned helped kickstart the industry, i would view them as holding it back now.

*nb. wasn't intended as a racist joke, although it probably sounds like one. it was actually created earlier today by an african guy i work with :p

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I believe Miyamoto stated TP was the last incarnation of Zelda as we know it which means it's either done (very doubtful) or they are going through and reworking some shiz.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You all whine way too much, most of the games you've mentioned is what keeps gaming industry where it's at today in the first place.

Aslong as the games are good and enjoyable i see absolutely no reason why they would ever "kill" a series.
Yes, it's the Final Fantasy/Zelda/Halo fanatics that are keeping the gaming industry where it is - static and no sign of any significant improvement - very much like the movie industry.

As far as I'm concerned, none of the games mentioned in this thread are doing anything for the gaming industry. Sure, they bring in money for their developers, but that's it. They don't do anything in terms of innovation. Did Halo invent anything that wasn't seen in other games? No. How about Final Fantasy? Sure, but not so much anymore. The Battlefield series? Sure, though nothing really significant.

Either way, there's no need to go out of your way to make a statement about the series mentioned so far. It's entirely our opinion, not fact. Don't worry, what we type in this thread will not affect the future developments of said series.

Command and Conquer.

Anything after Red Alert 2 sucked.

Oh and Halo.
Interesting enough, there's a lot of talk about a first person shooter set in the Command & Conquer universe being developed by EA.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[..]
Interesting enough, there's a lot of talk about a first person shooter set in the Command & Conquer universe being developed by EA.
Renegade was an fps too, so that wouldn't be a totally new idea.

My opinion is that in terms of fps there can't be done much to improve it.
The only thing that I could see change in that genre apart from graphical updates is better A.I.

In terms of story repetitiveness Zelda isn't that bad. Atleast Majoras Mask had nothing to do with Gannon.
Mario is far worse :p .
And Zelda indroduces some gameplay changes every game.
(i.e. Future thingy in OoT, masks in MM, sailing in WW)
Of course there's this feeling that the games are alike. But that's because they're all Action adventures set in the Zelda universe. If they cahnged that it wouldn't be a Zelda game anymore.

I believe that current genre's can't offer much innovation.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, I don't like having a 3 game limit on games. You make a franchise. People like it. And you just stop because it's too many? Eh, quite frankly, sometimes I don't want something new and fresh. I want what I like and I want it to continue. Obviously this does not apply to ALL games, but I don't think any franchise that gets too many sequels should die. And the word "overrated" is a risky one. Is the game really not that good despite success, or is it "Everybody loves 'x', but I don't, so therefore 'x' is over rated."

I don't really know any series I think should die. I know the Sonic franchise needs to step it up. I wouldn't mind if the Crash Bandicoot series died, if it hasn't already. I also want to say the Mario Party series needs to die, but I haven't played the latest versions, so my judgment doesn't mean much.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Metroid Prime. I hope Metroid Prime 3 is truely the last one. There's only so much of Dark Samus and Phazon that I can stomach.

Anything Megaman thats not the original, X, or Legends. Zero, .exe, and all those other megaman series I never even touched. Capcom has an extremely bad habit not finishing the storyline of one Megaman before jumping to another. Legends, The original, and X are still unfinished, and probably will remain unfinished forever.

Dynasty Warriors. Every game that comes out, they promise it's the last one.

Pokemon. The original was fun. Gold and Silver were ok. After that, it was nothing new. Just expansion pack after expansion pack, yet more people buy it and think it's something "brand new and original." Either change Pokemon entirely to make it into a full fledged story-driven RPG, or drop it. The "catch monsters and battle with them to win badges" thing has been overdone. How about a Pokemon game where not only the monsters fight, but the trainers as well? And you have a party of 3 trainers as well as their monsters gathering to stop something? You know, like a JRPG type of thing? That would be a better change for Pokemon and might actually make it more fun.

And last but not least......MARIO PARTY/SPORTS GAMES!!!!!!! The time they put into Mario Party or Mario Sports games could be put into making Mario adventure games. We see a solid and fun Mario adventure maybe once or twice per generation, yet we see an overflow of Mario Party and/or sports games. Where's "Mario and Luigi Wii?" Where's "Super Mario RPG 2?" Where's "Super Mario 128?" Yes I know that 128 was replaced by Sunshine and Mario Galaxy is coming, but these are just too few and far between. Mario needs more action and less....sports. Stick to Mario Kart and leave the rest alone.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Metroid Prime 3 was the last prime title, so either they'll be continuing the story after fusion or remake stuff.

A prime style remake of Super Metroid would be sexy..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I suppose so. I just want Metroid to start developing a new story. More focus on fighting the space pirates would be a fresh new thing rather than Phazons. Also, maybe Metroid becoming a bit more like a FPS rather than a "explore 3 hours and blast a few things along the way" type of game. I want to see Samus actually thrown into a War somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom