Game Series That Should Retire

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Games that need to retire, whether because they're played out or overrated, it matters not. Discuss the game series that just need to die, and why.

EA gets paid from Madden games, ignorant people who love Madden actually think that it's worth 50$ to buy the newest Madden game. Soon enough there will be nothing left to add in future Madden games. I hope the Madden franchise dies laying in it's own blood soon before 2010. What will they add next? Create a shoe mode? Create a Announcer? All of these pointless modes that people think are great additions, are absurd.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pokemon

For the love of all that's holy and unholy, please let Pokemon die. I thought it was hard enough memorizing the original 150 Pokemon in the first games, but 493?!!! You have to be kidding me! Could you imagine a someone spending all that time to collect 493 Pokemon?! I really thought I accomplished something when I beat the Elite Four at the end of the first three games, but no, they had to go and add more islands in the middle of the damn ocean, each with their own league and Pokemon.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For the last god knows how many games, their ONLY tactic has been to try and expand their fully mapped out world from Pokemon blue and add in new variations. GREAT GOING! It needs to die.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd have to say Mortal Kombat...I love the first few, but once it moved to 3d it started getting really boring and each new game is about the same as the last with a few new characters and more old character redesigns, not much change to actual combat, which is and has been sluggish and unresponsive since the move to 3d...I'd kill for a solid remake of MK3.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Games that need to retire, whether because they're played out or overrated, it matters not. Discuss the game series that just need to die, and why.

EA gets paid from Madden games, ignorant people who love Madden actually think that it's worth 50$ to buy the newest Madden game. Soon enough there will be nothing left to add in future Madden games. I hope the Madden franchise dies laying in it's own blood soon before 2010. What will they add next? Create a shoe mode? Create a Announcer? All of these pointless modes that people think are great additions, are absurd.
Oh wow, a Madden rant. How original.

There is a large market for sports games, so deal with it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh wow, a Madden rant. How original.

There is a large market for sports games, so deal with it.
Yeah, but I'll definitely agree that making a new GAME just to update the stats is a bit extreme. Instead they should do something that's the equivelant of a patch. No need for a whole new game; just the new stats. But of course, it's always about money, not practicality...

Pokemon? Oh yeah...I can't believe it's still running; it's rediculous. I knew there were new Pokemon lately, but nearly half a thousand? Ludicrous. Just effing finish. Have the kid be a master, or kill the whiny little dweeb; I care not which. Just end it for God's sake...Pikachu has grown too old and needs to be put to sleep.

Best answers
game series that should Retiare are:
Final Fantasy square stop flogging a dead horse
Resident Evil
all Ea sport simmulations that they release every year with only a small amount of improvments every year.
Pokemon
Halo

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
EA sports simulations.
and yeah....pokemon :)

Best answers
Meh, shouldn't say pokemon should retire.

The thing is, even though it's a bit ridiculous the amount of pokemon in the game now (493). If you play it, you're still going to have a good time... it's still the same successful gameplay. Every game does however add in new things, aside from pokemon, this generation added in wireless online play. Which is kind of cool. I do however prefer the good ol' days of Red, Blue, Gold and Silver.

Edit: Wireless online play... among other things mind you.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halo.

That is all.
Seconded. Halo is so overrated... It was fun for a little while when it was first released, but that's really it. The story is crap, there's no character development whatsoever, and the gameplay is your typical linear objective-based shoot 'em up... with crappy vehicles (except the Warthog, that was kinda fun for the physics) and crappy weapons.

Not to mention your AI comrades are about as useful as... well, they aren't. They can't aim, they get stuck on ****, and they always shout out the most obvious, annoying things you can imagine. I end up killing most of them before the fight is over, and not even because they piss me off. They're just useless. But, for the record, they do piss me off.

*Prepares for the barrage of insults he's going to receive from angry Halo fanboys who will attempt to blindly defend themselves against the cold, hard truth that is: Halo sucks.*

Best answers
GTA, there shouldn't have been another one of those after the original GTA3.

Also:
Halo
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear ***
Mortal Kombat (allthought I do think Armageddon is awesome)
The Sims (sure, only 2 games.. + about 30 expansions for each version.. Time to get The Sims 3 out instead tbh..)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most of EA Sports' games.

The Dynasty Warriors type of games where you're one soldier against a huge hulking army of brainless punching bags.

.hack. Please.

Mortal Kombat. Just.. ugh.

On a small side note, I hear some people saying Halo should die. Now, while I don't like Halo and personally find it a bit overhyped, saying that a series should die after only 3 games is exaggerating it a bit, don't you think? The games themselves aren't bad, it's a large part of the community that's so very loudly present that makes it seem like such a big deal. That's just my take on it, though.

Part of me also wants to say that the Megaman series should die, but then again, I still enjoy them. Well, the Megaman Zero / ZX spinoffs, anyway. I couldn't stomach any Megaman X game after X6, and I didn't even completely finish X6, either.

Also, Street Fighter. For the love of god, let it die, or make a NEW game for a change, and don't just rehash the same stupid **** all the time.[/size]

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
game series that should Retiare are:
Final Fantasy square stop flogging a dead horse
Resident Evil
all Ea sport simmulations that they release every year with only a small amount of improvments every year.
Pokemon
Halo
**** off resident evil, that **** is just starting to get really awesome.

Best answers
I cant believe some of you mentioned Final fantasy. Afterall the name Final Fantasy just means that its a normal Role-playing game that has Chocobos and similar spells and equipment with the other Final Fantasies. The stories and the game systems itself can be totally different from each other.

Its true that they are probably milking money with the reputation of the previous Final Fantasies, but atleast ive been satisfied with every FF game i have bought and played through to end.
Well atleast thats just my opinion...

On the other hand i agree that Pokemon games turned worse when they just started adding more pokemons in it without really improving the gameplay or anything at all. The first few pokemon games rocked though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This I use cautiously. If Square Enix manage to make 13 a success I'll eat these words quite happily with tobasco sauce and dash of salt and pepper, but so far there is no indication that this company can make a half decent attempt at a game. Its crap all over Square Soft's success and like the true carrion creature the company really is, its manipulating the corpses of older games in the guise of new spin offs. If they continue trashing all of the good games in this series, it should be left to die while there is some goodness left within it.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say that EA's FIFA is the only one of their simulation that should end. There is PES that has beaten it to a pulp.
The only reason that people still play it (FIFA) is because is so "famous".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom