Game companies doing unfair stuff

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Many companies, for different reasons, seem to close down many fan made productions, by threating to sue. But i've seen many cases when they had no right to do so.
Question: When a fans do a remake of a game, or a game based on a movie/anime/cartoon, FOR FREE, why are they sued or thretened?
I honestly think that, for non-profit productions, this shouldn't be allowed.

Give your opinions or examples about this.

Here's mine example:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6GbJ8WU-nLI

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
because they are stealing someone elses intelectual property, which could lead to damaging the franchise, and from there, sales.

Best answers
what if some day square wanted to remake crono trigger? why would people buy it when they can just get it for free(and better). there are unfortunately cases where companies sue even though they don't have legitimate claims and they know the people won't defend themselves because of the cost.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
By law, you need to protect your intellectual property. The more people you allow to use your intellectual property without permission, the harder it will be to successfully defend your intellectual property / successfully sue when someone is hurting your brand name / selling whatever it is you have for money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly.

You only consider it "unfair" because it robs you of a freebie; but ultimately, since you were never entitled to it in the first place, it ends up being wrong to think it's termination unjust.

In the end these games can really hurt a franchise, believe it or not.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh? i dunno about the rest of the forum. but in that particular games case, i WOULD pay for a current gen re-make of it, official or not.

my reasoning is this,if square isnt going to deliver (or even considering it), how does it damage them if someone else steps up?

now my point is "moot" if one is actually in the works, as then yes it could pose an actual threat to their sales, but if they were never planning on making it in the first place, who loses money? >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im on pro and kontra.

Kontra: people really want to try out a different version of the same game (SP-> MP mostly) it would be more fun. Especially when its free.

Pro: The game could get over populated so he real game is the background only, and people stop buying/playing the original games, wich makes a los to the creators.

,_, they emailed me much enough,....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well nuttzy has a point in that technically they aren't losing money, but only because in that case the game has been out forever.

Mostly it is an intellectual property thing. A good example is DBZ, actually. Imagine you are Akira Toriyama, and you wrote this great storyline for your manga. And then after 20 years you are still pestered by people asking is this SSJ5 pic is real, is there really a DB:AF, all that junk. Ultimately for individuals I think it just comes down to people not wanting to **** with their ideas or game designs.

In the case of a remake, ultimately that involves actually COPYING the entire game experience to a new medium visually and presentation-wise, which is just plain stealing. Stealing for a true homage, of course, and with good intent, but still stealing. Or rather, "copying" is a better word.

I mean, I am building a space combat tabletop sim game, for example.
It may never come out. But if someone were to make a similar one with better miniatures and added a bunch of powers (think like ECX, and add-on for my game) I would be really annoyed and angry about it.

That being said, most cases are NOT like the Chrono Trigger one presented. If they ever wanted to do a remake, they would then have to compete with a readily-available free product. That's almost impossible to do in this market.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
By law, you need to protect your intellectual property. The more people you allow to use your intellectual property without permission, the harder it will be to successfully defend your intellectual property / successfully sue when someone is hurting your brand name / selling whatever it is you have for money.
Bingo. If you don't defend your intellectual property, you can lose it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"And you'll buy it anyway."

How many times do I have to say this before it sinks in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom