Future of Half-Life - Two (Short) Articles

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Albeit a couple months old, but at least it's something:

Valve boss Gabe Newell has revealed the studio feels its Half-Life series needs to get back to "scaring" players.

Newell told Edge Issue 213 that the series also had to broaden its "emotional palette".

When asked if the Half-Life series deliberately matured with its audience as part of a special look at the franchise, Newell replied:

"That isn't something we think about except as part of each project needing to respect the fact that simply repeating the past isn't going to have the same impact now as it did then.

"I feel like we've gotten away from genuinely scaring the player more than I'd like, and it's something we need to think about, in addition to broadening the emotional palette we can draw on."

Although Newell didn't mention Half-Life Episode 3 by name, the prospect of a more frightening instalment will be sure to excite fans - and Newell reckons he knows the deepest fear of the series' core fans.

When Edge asked what scares them the most, he had a particularly dark answer: "The death of their children. The fading of their own abilities."

Blimey.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=240672

Valve boss Gabe Newell has baulked at the idea of changing Half-Life's Gordon Freeman to bring him in line with the protagonists of more modern FPS titles.

With Half-Life: Episode 3 - or even Half-Life 3 - potentially on the horizon, fans are keen to know how Valve will evolve the series.

However, Newell has gone on record to say he wants Freeman to largely remain an arm and a crowbar - and he's not in any rush to get him talking, either.

When Edge asked Newell if he wanted to give Freeman a greater sense of 'embodiment', he said:

"We haven't had a reason to change that. Most of what I've seen to date has been gimmicky and is entertaining for just a minute or so."

When asked if he'd consider giving Freeman a voice (he's been mute in every Half-Life so far) - he added:

"We're not philosophically opposed to this, but we don't have any good reasons to do it. Right now making your companions more interesting and compelling seems a more fruitful avenue to explore."

Would any of you lot change Gordon Freeman? Has he become outdated?
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=241221

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gordon Freeman is who he is, and he should stay like that. Makes him more unique as a character. I do agree that Half Life should become more scary, I still remember Ravenholm like I played it yesterday, one of the best parts of Half Life 2.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd like perhaps a little personality or none at all. Some of the main characters in FPS's are pretty cringe-worthy. Jack Carver being one of them.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gordon Freeman is meant to represent the player, he always has and, hopefully, he always will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom