Fusion Reborn (Spoilers)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've managed to finally see the newly redubbed movie 12 - Fusion Reborn. Here are my likes and dislikes (vice versa):

Contain's spoilers!

Dislikes:
1. Music scores, I seriously cannot stand the music that they've been using constantly, the only good music they have are the rock songs and the music playing during the battle between Gogeta and Janemba.

2. Pikkon's attempt at break the barrier around the check-in station. FUNimation practically destroyed it by changing it to be more child friendly. "You stupid tub of lard!!!"

3. Janemba's voice - This is the first thing I noticed (Right Click > Save as):
http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/janemba.mp3
http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/janemaba2.mp3
http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/janemba3.mp3

4. Hitler's (a.k.a. the general) pun: "Golden hair, blue eyes? I should recruit them."

5. Goku and Vegeta being very touchy feely (FUNimation's terrible dubbing).

6. Like always, the dramatic change in dialog.

7. Goku sounding like a complete psycho.

1. The rock music they use at certain points.

2. The ending fight music between Gogeta and Janemba.

3. FUNimation for not entirely screwing up the scene where Gohan kills Frieza with their terrible dubbing.

4. When Janemba transforms, his voice sounds pretty similiar to the one from the original version.

5. Laughing really hard at fat Janemba's voice.

Verdict:
I prefer the original over this one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
4. Hitler's (a.k.a. the general) pun: "Golden hair, blue eyes? I should recruit them."
How did you not think that was funny :p

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Eh... I will admit that it was kind of a clever little pun. I don't know, it just didn't click right in my head.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I might just go see this for the sheer craptacularness of it. :p

I can't stand English dubs, but it's fun to laugh at them from time to time.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
I know right! I watched that part, laughed my ass off, rewound it, and laughed at a slightly less enthustiastic laugh! I was surprised they would hint that much.

I was also surprised that they actually said "Hell" instead of "HFIL" (THANK you).

But I loved the Super Saiyan 3 scene, from the transformation to the fight scene, even helped me out with my movie. However, the Goku-Vegeta bonding seemed just a liiiiittle too Brokeback Mountain-like for me.

What they could have changed was Gogeta's fight...WAY too short..

Gotenks' "fight"...Again, WAY too short.

They could of whored out cameos like crazy. The frieza one was pretty decent, but SO MUCH MORE could have been.

Still, my favorite movie out of all of them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chakra-X said:
However, the Goku-Vegeta bonding seemed just a liiiiittle too Brokeback Mountain-like for me.
You saying that reminds me of this video. Now to make one for DBZ >=D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what the **** is wrong with jenemba's voice

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's the first thing I said when I first heard him. FUNimation really screwed up a lot of things (once again).

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gogeta's fight wasnt short at all, he was just rediculously powerful and unlike the complete unbelievable-ness of most of the dbz series he didnt **** around and wait for janemba to get just as powerful before he killed him. Instead he just annihilated him, which is the way it should be.

best dragonball movie imo, but soooo much better in japanese...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think the jenemba/buu voice was the best voice, japanese people are brilliant, english people suck at dubbing jap people could dub just fine

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mf29 said:
i think the jenemba/buu voice was the best voice, japanese people are brilliant, english people suck at dubbing jap people could dub just fine
Not to mention that, in Japan, there's a huge anime industry practically screaming for talented voice actors. These 'seiyuu' as they're called are often more popular than the characters they voice. I bet they make some good money, too. o:

So, in Japan, there's just a lot more effort and talent being put into voice acting compared to the relatively lifeless and ****ty voice acting of most other countries.

Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Not to mention that, in Japan, there's a huge anime industry practically screaming for talented voice actors. These 'seiyuu' as they're called are often more popular than the characters they voice. I bet they make some good money, too. o:

So, in Japan, there's just a lot more effort and talent being put into voice acting compared to the relatively lifeless and ****ty voice acting of most other countries.
i wonder that hitler's part...where that hitler's came from? there's noway in dbz timeline.....(most ridiculus is he's obey frieza's order..)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
uncover bunker said:
i wonder that hitler's part...where that hitler's came from? there's noway in dbz timeline.....(most ridiculus is he's obey frieza's order..)
He didn't obey anyone's orders, he was no where near Frieza when this happened. The whole Hitler thing was just a joke, just like the Feudal army you see walking along the streets, or the inside joke that involved Oolong in Dragon Ball.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh please, English dubbing for DBZ is perfect for us Americans! I much prefer the US version to the Japanese version and always will. The dialogue the Japanese use is lame when translated to English. I much preferred when Goku got blasted by little Goku that he said "Was that...ME...that shot me...?" than "You've changed the demon laws...". Half the Japanese crap I can't even understand, and the rest just sounds lame, whatever they mean in Japanese culture. The Japanese dubs point out painfully obvious things (Grand Kai saying in Japanese "You're just full of energy, aren't you Goku?" when being tossed around by Goku's SS3 transformation).

I honestly don't care what fat Janemba's voice sounded like, he wasn't that important anyway.

Also, the voice and chant of the cd playing ogre boy in the beginning is laughable at best when heard ("Yah, yah yah!"...?)

Besides, the subplot with Vegeta's misery is a lot better than Vegeta just typically diving in to help like he has in almost every other DBZ movie. Having a discraced Vegeta with a deathwish is better than the same old overconfident guy from the rest. I breaks the monotony a lot.

And of course Funimation toned down the cacophany blue streak of obscenity that spewed forth from Pikkon in the Japanese dub. WHEN in the English series (other than the manga) did they actually USE language that foul? Even in the Uncut stuff its not that bad.

But like I said before, of course they changed the dialogue, half of it sounded like babbling in English, and once again I say it was for the better. If you're Japanese and a purist, then fine, but I'm fully American, and I'll always prefer hearing Sean Schemmel as Goku than that odd-voice woman whose voice makes me want to tear off my ears like Piccolo in "Lord Slug". I mean, HOW could they have allowed what was most obviously a woman voice such a macho super dude like Goku???

Lastly, how did Goku sound like a psycho? He sounded pretty much like typical good ol' Goku to me...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z has a lot less plot holes than the FUNimation dub, the plot holes happen to be a result of bad dubbing.

No one has said in this thread that they prefer the Japanese voices, they've said they prefered the Japanese version based on the dialogue. At times I prefer the Japanese version in that respect over the FUNimation version since the Japanese version doesn't leave out much and the dialogue follows very closely to the manga. Not to mention the Japanese version didn't have each character go through ten different voice actors.

I dislike how FUNimation adds Dialogue in places where the characters are either not moving their mouths, or in parts that were originally silent (I can give a lot of examples of this).

Janemba's voice in this made me take Janemba (let alone the movie) less seriously as it was intended to be. Dragon Ball Z itself is supposed to be serious even though still retaining some comical elements from Dragon Ball. When making movies, even if you're off even slightly with music, dialogue, etcetera, it will completely change the movie.

Funny you should mention Goku's voice in the Japanese version since Akira Toriyama has stated that Goku's voice was exactly how he imagined it.

The whole Goku sounding like a psycho; I was referring to when he met Janemba where the dialogue was very exaggerated (like the Ultimate Uncut Edition).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ploy holes *blink*? Like what? (Akira Toriyama thought THAT was what Goku should sound like? Oh well, I respect his work, but his taste in sound isn't as good as his taste in visuals. Maybe it'd work for kid Goku, but adult? Don't know what direction his mind was pointing there...)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn right, you're american, for anything else to be good it must be american too!

Sorry, but the "american/english" version is for kids, like MC has stated they take parts where they dont know how to fit what the script says and improvise, and aim it toward a much younger audience.

As for the soundtrack please, a rock music soundtrack does not bare any relation to dbz. They make dbz sound so much less epic and so formulated, I prefer the soundtrack thats taliored to fit the story, and was written for that purpose. It also makes you take the situation less lightly, I dont wanna be hearing "down with the sickness!" when im watching the most powerful warriors in the universe squaring off and in desperate struggle to save mankind. Now dont come back and say "well goku's voice actor r a woman! how can that fit with goku?!?" goku in my mind sounds exactly like that, he's nieve, childish and carefree, which is exactly what he sounds like in the japanese dub. He isnt "im your generic super hero guy thats uber cool! hey kids, look out for whats gonna happen on the next episode of dbz!" which is how funi chose to dub him.

Thats my rant over.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Ploy holes *blink*? Like what? (Akira Toriyama thought THAT was what Goku should sound like? Oh well, I respect his work, but his taste in sound isn't as good as his taste in visuals. Maybe it'd work for kid Goku, but adult? Don't know what direction his mind was pointing there...)

1. Vegeta and Bulma never married.
2. Trunks actually knows and mentions Androids #19 and #20, in the FUNimation version he doesn't have any clue who they are.
3. Dr. Gero and Goku never met before (FUNimation error).
4. Dr. Gero is not Android #20, it was just designed in his likeness (hence why he refers a few times "his creator", another FUNimation error).
5. Vegeta constantly states that Saiyans have black hair, when in fact there have been many instances where they have dark brown hair.

There are many more, but a lot of them are actually due to show errors.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Damn right, you're american, for anything else to be good it must be american too!

Sorry, but the "american/english" version is for kids, like MC has stated they take parts where they dont know how to fit what the script says and improvise, and aim it toward a much younger audience.

As for the soundtrack please, a rock music soundtrack does not bare any relation to dbz. They make dbz sound so much less epic and so formulated, I prefer the soundtrack thats taliored to fit the story, and was written for that purpose. It also makes you take the situation less lightly, I dont wanna be hearing "down with the sickness!" when im watching the most powerful warriors in the universe squaring off and in desperate struggle to save mankind. Now dont come back and say "well goku's voice actor r a woman! how can that fit with goku?!?" goku in my mind sounds exactly like that, he's nieve, childish and carefree, which is exactly what he sounds like in the japanese dub. He isnt "im your generic super hero guy thats uber cool! hey kids, look out for whats gonna happen on the next episode of dbz!" which is how funi chose to dub him.

Thats my rant over.

Okay...yeah I'm American. And in America, dudes voice dudes...with the exception of kid Gohan and Bart Simpson...I know it sounds like the whole "Americans are intolerant of other cultures" crap, but its hard to relate to a LOT of Japanese concepts and styles. The Orient was isolationist for Millenia, so their culture is so different that they might as well be a different species from the Western world. In the U.S., the media has tought us several constants and prejudices when it comes to entertainment:

1: Heros who fire energy blasts and can anihilate planets (unless its a strict comedy) have fierce masculine, not meek female voices. Constant cannot be breached for viewer will not take character seriously and will resort to histerics and fear viewing for public embarassment.

2: Vocal casts in a dub must be done without regard for the original voicing so characters sound like they LOOK like they should sound, and avoid unnatural voices in pitch and tone so the character will be taken seriously.

3: Whenever possible, awkward phrases translated fom the original must be replaced with adlibbed, more US appropriate dialogue (ie: Bojack Unbound: Krillin holds on for dear life as other tourney contestants fall beside him into the water, many grabbing his bald head and slipping. Original line "How come?" US viewer is unsure what was meant by this. Line does not mesh viewer comprehension and forces several rewinds and replays to try and understand. Revised line "I wax..." adds relatable comedic material and meshes perfectly.)

And I agree about the music, I'd much prefer hearing stuff from Bruce Faulconer than the improvised rock. But Nooo...they dropped Bruce and substituted the walking musical disaster, Mark Menza, a Nickelodeon standard composer of course *gag* (that bastard screwed whatever little GT had in it to Hell with his one-theme-fits-all BS...Bruce himself loathes his so-called work in GT).

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It depends on who translated it/provided the subtitles. The Dragon Ball manga is the same, there are a few inconsistencies here and there due to the translations. Translating Japanese to English is not easy at all since one Japanese word can spawn a whole list of possible definitions.

Yes, Akira Toriyama did say that the Japanese voice actor for Goku is just as he imagined it, is he stupid for thinking so? No. Did Dragon Ball Z become a lot less popular due to the main character being voiced by a female? No.

"In America, dudes voice dudes", what about Japan? China? Canada? Africa? Brazil? If only in America do they/we have males voice males then you must be out of your mind. There are tons of cartoon shows in which male characters are voiced by females.

It used to be where males were the only ones who were allowed to act in general, but they had to play woman roles whenever it was required. What if Bulma was voiced by Jay Leno? That would be worse than a female voice actor doing the voice for Goku.

Look at Naruto, the main protagonist is voiced by a female (referring to the Japanese version), and that show is extremely popular. Now look at the American version of Naruto, now that's a big mess, Naruto sounds like he had one too many packs of cigarettes.

I agree on them making a mistake of picking Mark Menza over Bruce Faulconer, but Dragon Ball GT either way was a gigantic flop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom