Fried My PC :cry:

Best answers
Yup, last Tuesday we had some Severe Weather and my power went out while my PC was on..... needless to say, my computer got fried... or something... Im not quite sure.

Anywho, I start it up and while at the windows loading screen it restarts itself. I had this same problem with another PC (it was a Compaq, :/ ) and I had to scrap it for spare parts it got so bad.

I thought it was a hard drive issue or software issue, but the hard drive is accessable so im not sure if it is that. Im having trouble figuring out what it is right now.

Any help people?

Best answers
That sucks man....but the reason your computer is restarting at the Windows Screen is because it is running into a problem starting up, assumeing you know what the Blue-screen of death is, that is what you keep getting whenever windows starts up, but instead of showing you the blue screen, Windows XP just automaticly restarts you without telling you anything....

Now about fixing it, first press F8 while Windows is starting up, and try Safe Mode, if that dosen't work, go back to that same menu and choose "Revert to my last settings that worked", that sometimes works, and if all else fails, reformat.

If none of that works, sorry dude, your comp is fried :(.

If you had trouble understanding me, just PM me and I'll try to explain better.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Could also be your power management unit.

Normaly when it has trouble your PC restarts randomly ^^

But yea try safemode ^^

Best answers
Grega said:
Could also be your power management unit.

Normaly when it has trouble your PC restarts randomly ^^

But yea try safemode ^^
It's likely your right too, but I was assumeing that he might have gotten a corrupted system file that was preventing him from starting up normally and getting the Blue-Screen of Death...

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
How about you just try, get into safe mode or reinstall your PC first.

It could be tons of things and most likely, a system file got corrupted during the powerdown, making it unable to start windows.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The EXACT same thing hapenned to my computer last year when I pulled the plug on accident. Thankfully, its the same PC I'm using today :D .

Mine is an HP a 1250 n model, and when I restarted it, it webt to the windows loading screen and restarted the system in a perpetual loop intil I hard-booted it.

I was afraid my data had been lost. I took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they found out the hard drive had been damaged by electric shock and sent in for a new one. Thankfully, the disk itself wasn't harmed. They were able to make a complete backup image of the hard disk, and when I got it back, my PC was exactly the same as before, even with the same screensaver :) .

Don't worry too much, chances are your pc will be in fine running order and your files will be safe. I can't garantee, but odds-on you'll be okay.

Don't do ANYTHING drastic until you get your PC checked out by a pro. You don't want to reformat or anything for nothing. Let them handle it, they really know their stuff.

Oh, and last thing; invest in a surge suppressor :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only power related damage to my pc seems to be when I unplug the power cord from my psu, each time I unplug it and plug it bak in my bios resets, which I find annoyying cause then I have to go configure my overclock, reset my ram timings and put the date and time in again, however Iv'e got quite use to it so it doesn't bother me.

Try booting into safe mode, and if that doesn't work then reformat. To prevent future outbreaks you should try and get hold of a power board that has some sort of overload protection on it, some companies that sell these power boards sometimes give you a gurantee that your stuff won't break during power failures on their power boards and if anything brakes, you can then give the company a call that made the power board that came with their said gurantee and you should be able to claim on things that break on their power boards.

Best answers
If you can get into safe mode, click start > right click on your computer and go to properties. Go to the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery. Uncheck 'Automatically Restart'. Restart, wait for your computer to crap out again, it 'should' give you a BSOD instead of automatically restarting. Write down the error number of the BSOD and google it. The Microsoft website should be the first result detailing what the error is and how to fix it, if possible.

This is all granted you can get into safe mode, and unchecking the "Automatically Restart" feature works while the computer is booting up, if not, format time woot.

Best answers
Safe mode or anything like that doesn't work, i tried that **** way before I made this thread. I hooked up my hard drive to my back up computer and took the data off of that and put it all on the second computer, so I atleast have my data. Im guessing my hard drive is blown, but I dont know what to do about it.

And I do have a surge protector, Im kinda surprised that it didn't stop a power outage from destroying my compy, huh... go figure.

Thanks for the help, im gonna get back to you guys later, Im really tired so im off to the bed.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
I hooked up my hard drive to my back up computer and took the data off of that and put it all on the second computer, so I atleast have my data. Im guessing my hard drive is blown, but I dont know what to do about it.
If you can still read off your hdd then it's a sign it's still working. I'd say the problem is probably more likely to be with your mainboard, or possibly your hdd is somewhat damaged.

Best answers
Iv had this happen a many of times, it was my powersupply the first time, and my ram the second time.

Not fried per say but it might of got a little jolt.

Best answers
Well, I really thought about it and it makes sense that my PSU is fried... which I am kinda glad about. I'd rather have a blown PSU or Hard drive than a blown mobo, especially my mobo. Im broke now, so I cant buy another one.

Oh, btw, its not my ram. That works fine, im running it in my other computer right now.

I'll run some tests on it, and try to figure out what is blown. Thanks for the help so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom