Free Music Downloads, Lawsuit Not Included

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The next user to download a song from a peer-to-peer file-sharing service like [Removed] could be in for a surprise. Not a recording industry lawsuit, but a pop-up asking him to look at an ad--either text or video--in return for a free and legal copy of the music.

For that, the record labels, which have been trying to monetize illegally traded music for years, can thank a three-year-old company called Intent MediaWorks. Intent has figured out how to ***** pop-ups in music and video files unobtrusively, and the company claims that 60 percent of users are willing to endure the resulting pop-up ads.

"Consumers don't want to rip people off," says Les Ottolenghi, president and co-founder of Atlanta-based Intent. "They just want to get music as easily as possible."

Intent is seeding the peer-to-peer networks at a rapid clip. In February its digital media files were downloaded 1.7 million times. By December it expects that number to grow to at least 10 million.

At a cost to the advertiser of $5.80 per 1,000 ad views for text and $30 or more for video, that's a healthy revenue stream. Intent shares the money with artists and their labels, which can also choose to serve up their own promotions within the pop-ups.

Intent's customers already include Nettwerk Music Group, which publishes Barenaked Ladies, Avril Lavigne, and Sarah McLachlan, and Chuck D's Slamjamz Records; the company also expects to sign at least one of the Big Four music firms by mid-2007. Advertisers thus far have included Audi and Coca-Cola.

Since Intent follows users no matter what the latest popular file-sharing service is-- [Removed] and [Removed], anyone?--advertisers will pay to reach the eyeballs.

The peer-to-peer audience is made up of young, affluent, and technically savvy consumers, notes Mitchell Reichgut, a principal at ad firm Jun Group. "That's the kind of person you want to reach," he says. "If you do something on peer-to-peer and do it well, it's marketing on steroids."
Source: http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/20/magazines/business2/p2p_legit.biz2/index.htm?postversion=2007042307

*I removed the P2P program names in the quote so that I don't violate the forum rules.
*The censored word in the quote is e-m-b-e-d.

Best answers
This is interesting, but doesnt really affect me directly.

In all honesty I rarely pay for music, if an album is around 10 dollars, I'm more than willing to pay for it, but I still think record companies got what they deserved, they've been overcharging for years, the price of producing a cd has gone down (not counting fees from producers which have skyrocketed) yet the cost to the consumer still goes up.

I'm much more comfortable going to a live show than I am paying 35 bucks for a cd.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd go for that, but music is already sans lawsuit here in Canada.

I'm much more comfortable going to a live show than I am paying 35 bucks for a cd.
Yeah, live music ftw.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's interesting, I can actually see this work. People are already all over that iTunes ****, and this makes the music free? All you do is look at some ads? People don't like ads, but yeah, if it'll net you the song you want, it's not a big deal.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think this is a bad idea at all tbh. Though most of the music I get is legal because it's either free online stuff or from bands that I really like and aren't well known in the US. Admitedly, though, they get little of the sales from albums, so I try to see ppl when they come to Minneapolis, which is rare. However, VNV Nation was here on thurs and it was fricking kickass!

-Karrde-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom