France warns against Internet Explorer use

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
France has followed Germany's lead, and has advised computer users to download a different web browser after Microsoft's Internet Explorer was found to contain a critical security flaw.
-----

The French government issued an advisory to computer users, recommending that they switch to a different web browser, such as Firefox or Google Chrome. It follows a similar move by the German government, after it was discovered that Internet Explorer contained a serious security flaw that could be exploited by hackers and cybercriminals.

Microsoft last week admitted that its Internet Explorer browser was the weak link in recent attacks by hackers who pried in to the email accounts of human rights activists in China. But the company said that the German government had over-reacted about the threat posed by the vulnerability, and that general users were not at risk.

But that did not stop the French government issuing a bulletin through Certa, a government agency responsible for managing and protecting against cyber threats. The bulletin said that all versions of Internet Explorer were affected by the security flaw, and recommended that people use an alternative browser.

However, security experts say that computer users should only use a different web browser if they are confident they know what they're doing.

"My advice is to only switch from Internet Explorer if you really know what you are doing with the browser you're swapping to," said Graham Cluley, a senior security advisor at Sophos. "Otherwise it might be a case of 'better the devil you know'. Every browser has its security issues, so switching may remove this current risk but could expose you to another.

"My guess is that Microsoft will be working hard to release an out-of-band patch for the vulnerability. They will be keen to fix the serious security problem before more damage is done to Internet Explorer's reputation.\"
Source:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ance-warns-against-Internet-Explorer-use.html

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say its a step in the right direction.

Microsoft has been screwing people over for to long. They need a slap in the face as a wakeup call.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
France has followed Germany's lead, and has advised computer users to download a different web browser after Microsoft's Internet Explorer was found to contain a critical security flaw.
We know :D

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Read the first post again meph.

Heh tenzo beat me to it ^^

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good topic. IE is ****, haven't used it in years and whenever I build a new computer, first install is Firefox.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I occasionally use IE when someone has made a damn website that I must visit..which happens to only work in IE. Other websites that still use "Please use IE, because Firefox sucks" (For crying out loud, it's IE that is heavily outdated!) mentality can go to hell. I hate it as well that you have to put in multiple extra lines of HTML code when making a website, just so stuff works in IE. I'm just glad that they have finally added some PNG transparency support though. Was a ***** that that didn't work in the older versions.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I occasionally use IE when someone has made a damn website that I must visit..which happens to only work in IE. Other websites that still use "Please use IE, because Firefox sucks" (For crying out loud, it's IE that is heavily outdated!) mentality can go to hell. I hate it as well that you have to put in multiple extra lines of HTML code when making a website, just so stuff works in IE. I'm just glad that they have finally added some PNG transparency support though. Was a ***** that that didn't work in the older versions.
Makes me wonder how such an empire as microsoft doesn't make sure their signature softwares, like IE, be top notch. I mean c'mon, its like fail big budget movies, they got the money, but they are doing a lot of stuff wrong. Wrong cash usage.

And I understand you, my ****ing school site which I look around a lot for updates for the next day requires IE, ****ers

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
IE sucks compared to others cause its corporate. The guys in the offices dont have the brains of the entire world, hence why open source stuff like Firefox has such a lead. Simply cause there are more heads that think of more possibilities.

Yet Microsoft is desperately trying to outdoo the open software by pulling every possible dirty trick that exists. /me points to Open GL thread.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
IE sucks compared to others cause its corporate. The guys in the offices dont have the brains of the entire world, hence why open source stuff like Firefox has such a lead. Simply cause there are more heads that think of more possibilities.

Yet Microsoft is desperately trying to outdoo the open software by pulling every possible dirty trick that exists. /me points to Open GL thread.
Found a cool thing for firefox, which I believe is called the IE tab. I tried it on a website im most certain only works with IE, my school's website. It works. It makes stuff very comfortable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom