Fox releases several scenes and new TV spot for Dragonball Evolution

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgL4jV_xiA&fmt=18[/ame]

UK TV Spot: Lots of new footage, including some flight, powering up, beam struggle, and a lulzy DBZ hair gag.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaQPFqeNLtE&fmt=18[/ame]

Piccolo Attacks Gohan: It seems Mai didn't do the job alone; Marsters gives Piccolo a great deal of charisma as he causes Goku his first real loss.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcoSKX6UDTo&fmt=18[/ame]

Goku and Bulma meet Roshi: Some fun action bits, a misfire by Goku, some campy dialogue with questionable delivery...oh, and Finally Chow Yun Fat proves just how Roshi-like his portrayal really is. Seems those expecting a lack of lechery will have to eat their words.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGit019CT4&fmt=18[/ame]

Goku vs. Gohan: The clothesline fight in full. A bit of insight into the relationship of the two characters.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYkS1mZ3E5Q&fmt=18[/ame]

Piccolo's Search/The Journey Begins: Piccolo doesn't have the time nor the patience to deal with obstacles like lakes. Nothing a giant explosion can't fix. Meanwhile, Roshi's training begins, and the three begin their quest to collect the Dragonballs.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgz7ZjnPYhY&fmt=18[/ame]

Goku Meets Bulma: Seems fate has determined that the initial meeting of the young warrior and the brilliant girl scientist remain a rocky event. The two butt heads before reaching an agreement. Also, the first example of how Capsules work in this retelling of the old tale.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1DasJpPNgc&fmt=18[/ame]

Yamcha's Trap: The three find themselves in a deep pit that sprung out of the desert road. The smooth talking con-artist Yamcha sits above, only willing to spring his victims for a price. Thankfully, he's not accompanied by a floating high pitched cat thing this time around.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4610434/12329245

Chichi vs Chichi: Mai causes some chaos at the Martial Arts Tournament grounds, likely stealing at least one Dragonball, disguised as Goku's future significant other. Goku acts without thinking and is tricked by Mai, resulting in a humorous moment of realization, and a double KO for the good guys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Myself, I think this is plenty better than I expected, and while the pacing is quick, the scope seems pretty huge. It's not the manga, it's not the anime. But that doesn't make it unenjoyable. Acting gets campy/bad, choreography for the most part hasn't broken any real ground, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad, and it certainly isn't making it any less fun to watch. Since seeing the liberties this retelling has taken, I've been wiping the slate of my expectations, only assuming what has been seen by the trailers. And truth is we know nothing of what happens in between any of those moments, and I haven't been trying too hard to figure that out. Therefore, those surprise moments are all the more satisfying, and wherever we see little winks at the anime, they feel twice as prominent.

I know there are those here who will post here sarcastically, jesting the film (or me), those who will remain unimpressed. I get that. Not everyone is going to be happy with a retelling. I just hope this is enough to give people a much better idea of what they ought to expect, be it the good or the bad.

I'm posting this because I figure some here would appreciate the news. Nothing more. I hope you like it as much as I do, and are as excited as I am, but I know plenty will not, and are not. I can't help that.

Enjoy!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In all seriousness, I would be legitimately excited for this movie if it was not trying to be Dragonball. I like that type of fighting and I was hoping to see it more of it in supernatural martial arts films ( I think you would like "The One", J-Dude :D)

It's just shamelessly attaching on the "Dragonball" name. As a movie on it's own, it will probably be an interesting, and even entertaining, watch (despite what seems to be horrible acting). But if the expect me to believe that some high school kid withed gelled up hair is this Saiyan warrior, then I just feel kind of pandered to, and insulted. I mean, if they are going to drift this far from the source material for "artistic interpretation", they should have just made it a movie on its own. I mean come one! "Shadow Crane Strike... I recognize that anywhere".

But I may just see this purely for the action and try to avoid the idea of it being based on Dragonball. And thanks for the videos, I have been curious to see how the film would look.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Read your signature and that is what I think about the movie.

They really could have done a bit more to it. Even in the old DB Movie, Roshi was perverted still..

Sorry but Its not Roshi if he is not a pervert.
Piccolo still looks like the Halloween Suit I made for my brother with Candle Wax and Tin Foil....
They shreaded Some of the Story and Goku doesn't even have a tail...

But.. I guess it could be a good movie to watch for laughs with some of my friends here...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Read your signature and that is what I think about the movie.

They really could have done a bit more to it. Even in the old DB Movie, Roshi was perverted still..

Sorry but Its not Roshi if he is not a pervert.
Piccolo still looks like the Halloween Suit I made for my brother with Candle Wax and Tin Foil....
They shreaded Some of the Story and Goku doesn't even have a tail...

But.. I guess it could be a good movie to watch for laughs with some of my friends here...
I'm going to guess you haven't watched the "Goku meets Roshi" clip, or the one where they leave Roshi's house, because if you had you wouldn't be saying that this Roshi's not perverted.

Also, tail schmail. They'd just cut it off anyway. It's really not that big of a plot piece. Besides, I really don't think you'd appreciate it in live action as much as you think...you ought to have seen the production still where they had Rossum (Bulma) wearing a blue wig. You can then understand why they didn't make her use that wig for the film...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks better than that Chun-Li movie.

G
Oh god.
Oh god oh god.

I just.. Can't get over what they've done to Goku's character. It's like portraying Hitler as a 12-year-old girl that can't get enough ice cream.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh for **** sake, please let this be one big huge failure so they cant make a trilogy out of it. I dont want to see vegeta and frieza be **** on from a great height too.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to guess you haven't watched the "Goku meets Roshi" clip, or the one where they leave Roshi's house, because if you had you wouldn't be saying that this Roshi's not perverted.

Also, tail schmail. They'd just cut it off anyway. It's really not that big of a plot piece. Besides, I really don't think you'd appreciate it in live action as much as you think...you ought to have seen the production still where they had Rossum (Bulma) wearing a blue wig. You can then understand why they didn't make her use that wig for the film...
Kinda couldn't watch it when it was removed. But I am just going on what was said about him from the site.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh btw, Goku killed grampa Gohan, cuz he was an Oozaru. Goku almost kills yamcha and bulma etc because he transforms, and they save themselves by removing his tail. It's also his most distinguishing feature in db, its commented on frequently and it also ties into the saiyan saga. Pretty big plot piece if you were to ask me.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kinda couldn't watch it when it was removed. But I am just going on what was said about him from the site.
Aw ****, I guess Fox DIDN'T upload those...

Well, to explain, while rummaging around his house for his Dragonball (that he somehow misplaced) Bulma picks up and comments on a skimpy "Bikini Weekly" magazine that was lying around. Roshi chuckles uneasily and says "It's a collector's edition...".

Not ten minutes later, while Goku is tasked with carrying their immense pack of supplies for weight training, Roshi takes the backseat of Bulma's ATV and tries to nonchalantly use her ass as his point of support. She pulls a gun on him and threatens "Leave your hand there one more second, and you lose it".

@Skiwan: Me, I don't care about the tail subplot. I'd be fine with seeing it on a kid Goku, but he never has it as an adult, and if you ask me it would just be visually distracting in live action.

It's time people face that facts that this isn't supposed to be like the anime, it's supposed to be the anime reimagined.

It's obvious you're one of the types who didn't want a movie to begin with, so I'm going to have to bear that in mind. In other words, the film can never meet your expectations unless it simply doesn't exist.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't mind a real action dragonball movie if it was done well, just like I wouldn't have minded an anime of dragonball if it was done well, I hate the anime too, and that was pretty damn close to the manga. This film is horrible, bad direction, bad choreography, bad plot, bad script, bad designs, everything, just bad bad bad. I appreciate good cinema, but this is just very bad cinema. I happen to think that film is as much as an art form as anything else, and what I look for in film is a connection to the audience, a film that will change your mood, make you think, an absorption into the atmosphere. This is mind numbing dead horse flogging as fortnox pointed out, this is the Americanization of something quite culturally defined, the need to draw in plot elements which infest most Hollywood films, there's no originality left in it, its been stripped of its magic and given the red carpet treatment. That is why I hate it, not because it's trying to go its own way with the Dragonball universe, but because it's gone the way that they thought would make the most money. There's no passion, no great director with a vison, its corporate **** swinging at its finest.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks like they really want people to watch this movie.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't mind a real action dragonball movie if it was done well, just like I wouldn't have minded an anime of dragonball if it was done well, I hate the anime too, and that was pretty damn close to the manga. This film is horrible, bad direction, bad choreography, bad plot, bad script, bad designs, everything, just bad bad bad. I appreciate good cinema, but this is just very bad cinema. I happen to think that film is as much as an art form as anything else, and what I look for in film is a connection to the audience, a film that will change your mood, make you think, an absorption into the atmosphere. This is mind numbing dead horse flogging as fortnox pointed out, this is the Americanization of something quite culturally defined, the need to draw in plot elements which infest most Hollywood films, there's no originality left in it, its been stripped of its magic and given the red carpet treatment. That is why I hate it, not because it's trying to go its own way with the Dragonball universe, but because it's gone the way that they thought would make the most money. There's no passion, no great director with a vison, its corporate **** swinging at its finest.
That's the thing though isn't it? Companies don't make adaptations to honor the source material, they make it to make money. I think it all depends on what is expected of the audience. Worldwide, DBZ has a massive fanbase as far as anime goes, but I'm guessing the fanbase in the US isn't as big as we'd think, and Fox knew it. So, they said to themselves, we're adapting a series that in it's purest form appeals to less people than we thought, so we're going to have to count on sucking in people who AREN'T fans in order to make our quota. Adaptations like Harry Potter appeal to fanbases that are more than enough to make the quota, so they follow the story to the letter, counting on the appeasement of fans to make them all the money they need. Fox realized DBE couldn't do that, so instead of trying to please fans, they decided to adapt the story, at least the beginning of the story, so that it didn't suddenly plunge the non-fan audience into anime culture, which they're likely unfamiliar with, and therefore intimidated by. Making Dragonball's beginning relatable to the laymen led to the changes the film now reflects.

However, supposedly by the end of the film, the world has gone as full Dragonball as it could given the liberties taken in the beginning. Reportedly, the planned sequel will be focus much more on the mythology of DBZ, given the non-fans are now up to speed.

It's one of those things that probably looks better on paper, but with any luck we may find "Dragonball Reborn" to be a much better interpretation of the Saiyan saga.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did.. did you just say a sequel? I've officially lost hope in humanity. Why? Why would they ever create a sequel based off of this movie? Why? I don't care if it's based off of DBZ, it will most likely be crappy. How would I know? I'm taking this movie as an example. They could've made this good, but it looks crappy and is probably a waste of movie.

I am never, ever going to see a live action movie based off of DBZ or Naruto.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I should point out that Fox also produced Watchmen, so they're not always out to rape their source material. It was really up to the director to fight for his vision in this particular case. Perhaps he did, though, and this is his dream come true. If that's the case, wow.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My entire point is, that cinema should be about good films, not reproducing source material. I'd rather sit through a hundred well made romance films or another genre I'm not fond of, than have to see something I do care about done badly. Unless you have a script writer and director and a well selected cast who care passionately about a project material, working together to make something incredible, then I'm just not going to be able to appreciate it.

Marketing strategy is not what an art form should be about, art is not about giving people what they want, or a method of predicting what people will like, art is about making people think, question and feel, convey a message, leaving things open to interpretation. That is why I cannot begin to respect a film like this. Not just because they decided to completely remove the parts that was the original and inspiring tale of dragonball.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I should point out that Fox also produced Watchmen, so they're not always out to rape their source material. It was really up to the director to fight for his vision in this particular case. Perhaps he did, though, and this is his dream come true. If that's the case, wow.
I took a glance at the original script, and plenty has been changed based on compare and contrast. In the original there was no Piccolo until near the end. Instead there was Pilaf, Mai and Chow (or however his name is spelled) and somehow they ended up resurrecting Piccolo later on. By intent or accident I don't know, but Chow was changed from a dog person to some kind of human captain or something, and their operation was much grander in scale. It felt a bit like Pilaf had control of the Red Ribbon Army or something. I know at the end that Goku was given the Nimbus cloud...

I don't know much else, didn't read on past that. All I know is I prefer the current version of the film; ie, without Pilaf or the Nimbus and things like that.

And yeah, the script for the sequel, "Dragonball Reborn" has actually already been written, and Chatwin is signed on for two more films, as is Marsters. Of course, I'm not sure if that means anything. Maybe Fox is determined to plow ahead, Hell or high water regardless of DBE's success or lack thereof. Or, maybe they're just prepping in case the film does succeed so they can start production right away. We just don't know.

My feeling is that even a crappy film is better than no film at all, but all I'm concerning myself with is the question of whether or not DBE will be fun, and I can't kid myself that the answer to that is "no". It's mos definitely a "yes" :)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd rather have no film than a crappy film, because it's a lot harder to reboot a series than it is to begin from scratch. Before Superman Returns came out, everyone was like, "HES NOT CHRISTOPHER REEVES!!!!" and before the new Hulk came out, everyone said, "A reboot? Really?". DBE didn't have to be like that. If the script sucked from the beginning, they should have had a rewrite. Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom