Fox News - Court rules in favor of - It's ok to lie

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is a sad day for middle America where people don't get access to content like The Daily Show/Colbert Report.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MSNBC and CNN must be equally thrilled, since they don't have to stop lying either now.

Pretty much all of the Mainstream Media is slanted left or right, I've come to the conclusion that reading many sources of information gives you the best outlook on the news. Though I try to stay away from Fox, WMD, Huffington Post, New York Times and Politico, since they are the most horribly slanted.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is it fair to say the best news comes from BBC and/or Comedy Central?

I honestly hate the news, though... it's filled with hyperactive sycophants.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Certain things should just be governed, and if not, be labeled in such a way that people know that it might not be objective or true.
Freedom of speech is important, however there should be limits. And in my opinion, this is one of them.

Ofcourse that raises the question on who decides what's true and what's not.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
The U.S has the right to free press, it's unfortunate there is no law on lying. It's why I don't watch the news. People bash me all the time because I don't watch the news; can you really blame me? If I don't watch the news I get insulted, and if I do, I get insulted because that particular news program is wrong. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Certain things should just be governed, and if not, be labeled in such a way that people know that it might not be objective or true.
Freedom of speech is important, however there should be limits. And in my opinion, this is one of them.

Ofcourse that raises the question on who decides what's true and what's not.
The press in this country is supposed to be a check and balance against govenrment overreach. Sadly, it seems that like the people of our country, the media has taken sides. New or old, the New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post, Associated Press, Time, Newsweek, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, Huffington Post, Politico, Daily Kos, and Rueters, all side liberal, and lie for liberal politicians. On the other side, you have Fox News, Drudgereport, Breitbart, CNS, WND, New York Post, who all side conservative, and lie for conservative politicians. You want some fascinating reading on who lies on the Liberal side, you might want to google Ezra Klein and the Jurnolist. Here you had a guy who ran a listserv that was a think tank of Liberal politicians, policy wonks, journalists, and all kinds of people who should be checking eachother, not lying in bed together. Worse yet, you can actually find instances where the Journolist actually tried to frame the debate, actively worked to get Obama elected, and even started the idea that anyone who challenges Obama should be smeared as racist. I haven't seen that anywhere on the news, have you? /sarcasm.

Equally as bad is Beck's need to spew gloom and doom. Or Matt Drudge's creative headlines. Or Breitbart's occasional grasp at straws.

That's why I read most of them, and skim through opinion to find the hard fact, which is what the press is supposed to be printing. At least the new media guys, Huffpo, Kos, Drudge and Bretibart don't even pretend they're fair, balanced and neutral.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would think "Slander" would come to play in lying...

Best answers
Or just learn dutch.
So he can watch news shows and documentaries paid by Dutch tax-payer money that are published by political or religious parties?

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know there are liberal bias in news networks, is it unfair to say that Fox News is more warped than others? Keith Olberman may have a very dramatic of delivering headlines but Glenn Beck seems like some **** out of V for Vendetta or 1984. Bill O'Reilly isn't "omg bad" so I don't mind him. Rush Limbaugh is a pure and simple dick. I am going to admit the majority of the exposure I get from Fox News and Rush is from the Daily Show because I don't watch pundits, so I am *sure* there are dicks in the liberal-slanted media. But the fear and speculation Fox generates is more scary to me. People seriously believe Obama can not be trusted because they think he is a Muslim and that their way of life in danger and Fox does nothing to quell the misconceptions.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know there are liberal bias in news networks, is it unfair to say that Fox News is more warped than others? Keith Olberman may have a very dramatic of delivering headlines but Glenn Beck seems like some **** out of V for Vendetta or 1984. Bill O'Reilly isn't "omg bad" so I don't mind him. Rush Limbaugh is a pure and simple dick. I am going to admit the majority of the exposure I get from Fox News and Rush is from the Daily Show because I don't watch pundits, so I am *sure* there are dicks in the liberal-slanted media. But the fear and speculation Fox generates is more scary to me. People seriously believe Obama can not be trusted because they think he is a Muslim and that their way of life in danger and Fox does nothing to quell the misconceptions.
If you yourself are a liberal, you won't catch the lib bias, or won't be upset by it. Just as conservatives are less bothered by Fox's bias. It all comes down to who's watching from what angle. I've been pretty quiet about it, but the liberals on this board are quick to silence opposition speech, and come up with any excuse to do it.

Just remember, that's one step away from a state run media where you are only allowed to have one opinion. Of course for many progressives, that would be just fine, since everyone else is wrong.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be fair, the "liberal media" isn't responsible for the burning down of religious structures such as mosques, nor is nationalism and patriotism used as an excuse to foster hate and bigotry. Sure, this isn't always the case with certain news organizations, but it happens more often on one side of the political spectrum than the other.

That said, liberalism and conservatism in America are anything but.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because the discovery channel was never held up by any inconvenient truths. Because divisive racism is never tossed into charges agianst average american cross sections. Because peoples grandma's protesting taxes are never called a sexual slur with a giggle. Because some news outlets carry false accusations of race baiters as truth, despite $100,000 rewards for video evidence to the contrary. Sure, this isn't the case with certain news organizations, but it happens more often on one side of the poilital spectrum than the other.

We can agree on your last sentance, since the last presidents that weren't really Progressives or Neo Cons happend in the 80's.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because the discovery channel was never held up by any inconvenient truths. Because divisive racism is never tossed into charges agianst average american cross sections. Because peoples grandma's protesting taxes are never called a sexual slur with a giggle. Because some news outlets carry false accusations of race baiters as truth, despite $100,000 rewards for video evidence to the contrary. Sure, this isn't the case with certain news organizations, but it happens more often on one side of the poilital spectrum than the other.

We can agree on your last sentance, since the last presidents that weren't really Progressives or Neo Cons happend in the 80's.
I'm glad we're willing to agree that those who are "against the islamofacification" of the United States are as bat**** insane as someone who believes humans shouldn't propagate. I'm not sure what you're referring to with your second point (Teabagger is the only thing that comes to mind, but that's a name they used to describe themselves; opponents simply ran with it, knowing it had other connotations. While name calling is certainly childish, it doesn't excuse the ridiculousness of the tea party). I'm not going to argue with the racial undertones behind certain ideals, as that's territory everyone gets skittish about.

What I mean about liberalism and conservatism is, when compared to Europe, let's say, we're anything but at any point in time. Our liberals aren't quite liberal, and our conservatives aren't quite conservative. More often than not, our party system seems to be less of a dichotomy (which in and of itself is a terrible idea), and more of a single party system wearing different masks to sway different groups, while retaining the same goal.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Teabagger was coined by Anderson Cooper of CNN, and was most certainly not done in any sense but the sexual one to be senselessly rude to people with a worldview that conflicts with his. I happen to agree with you on your second point. It seems like some small percentage on both sides really pulls hard in the extremist direction, the rest are left or right of center, but not hard left or hard right.

Scarily enough, I think this is the first time in history you and I will have a 4 post dissagreement, lol.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People still get their news from their TVs? I thought that box was for entertainment, only.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Teabagger was coined by Anderson Cooper of CNN, and was most certainly not done in any sense but the sexual one to be senselessly rude to people with a worldview that conflicts with his. I happen to agree with you on your second point. It seems like some small percentage on both sides really pulls hard in the extremist direction, the rest are left or right of center, but not hard left or hard right.

Scarily enough, I think this is the first time in history you and I will have a 4 post dissagreement, lol.
While Cooper certainly turned their moniker into a weapon against them, I can't help but think it was a natural progression when signs like these were being thrown around in February of 09:

http://washingtonindependent.com/31868/scenes-from-the-new-american-tea-party

Or this one in April of 09:

http://brendancalling.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/teabag13.jpg (The pic is pretty large so I'll leave it as a link)

http://brendancalling.com/2009/04/15/tea-bagger-in-the-rain/

I think attacking the name has less to do with simply not liking the ideology and more to do with attacking the absurdity that exists on multiple levels of the name, be it sexually or historically.

In any case, that's a rant for another time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom