Forum Talk: Cleaning Up The Clutter

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The forum is cluttered with large sections of the forum going unused. I want to fix this by doing the following:

> Merge the Newbie Central section with the Help section
Argument for doing this: People post in the help section for help regarding ESF, most newbies post in the newbie section for help regarding ESF. The only other reason for posting in the newbie section is for one to create a thread to introduce themselves. This can be done via a single "Welcome Newbies!" thread conveniently located in the newly merged section.

Please, hold your applause until the suggestion is finished.

> Make the Artwork section a subsection of the Offtopic section
Argument for doing this: The Artwork section is dead. It gets enough activity to warrant it existing, but not enough for the main index.

> Make the Fan Fics and Fight Club subsection disappear
Argument for doing this: We have to make room for the Artwork subsection in Offtopic. Also, the Fan Fics and Fight Club subsection gets like 1 post every 2 months if we're lucky.

> Make the ESF League section disappear
Argument for doing this: It gets even less posts than the Fan Fic section. That, and the Earth League kind of died a few years ago...

> Make the Server Chat section disappear
Argument for doing this: And further down the rabbit hole we go. This section gets even less posts than the ESF League section.

> Merge the two suggestion sections into one
Argument for doing this: It's silly to have two suggestion sections. All suggestions are for 1.3. The Open Beta is done.

> Make the 1.2.3 Bug Report section disappear
Argument for doing this: Every 1.2.3 bug has been found, we only need an Open Beta Bug section.

> Make the miscellaneous section disappear
Argument for doing this: It gets no posts. Seriously, I don't lie.

> Make the Open Beta Chat section a subsection of the ESF Chat section.
Argument for doing this: This one is last because it's not necessary, although it would go a great way for reducing clutter.

The forum, restructured as I am suggesting, would look as follows:

GENERAL FORUM
Newbie Central
Come here to introduce yourself or to receive help getting ESF to run on your machine.

ESF Chat
Come here to talk about anything related to the mod. Spam will not be tolerated in this section.
- ESF Chat Subsection: Open Beta - Final :: Chat

Off-Topic
Come here to talk about anything NOT related to Earth's Special Forces.
- Offtopic Subsection: Artwork
- Offtopic Subsection: Anime and Manga
- Offtopic Subsection: Video Gaming
- Offtopic Subsection: Tech Bench

Force Pit
Welcome to Phil's House, beware of the evil emus that lerk beyond these doors.

Bug/Glitch Report
Come here to report a bug you have found in ESF or to check the status on a bug-fix

Suggestions
Power to the people?

CUSTOMIZATION FORUM SECTION
Mapping
Come here to talk about ESF maps, or if you need some help with any aspect about mapping! You can also find released maps here!

Models / Skins
Come here to discuss the models from ESF or to show off your own models/skins

Addons, Plugins & Scripts
Discuss anything related to addons, Plugins and scripts such as ECX and the likes. Need help? Can't get something to work? Ask it here!

I would also greatly appreciate unstickying some of the redundent stickies. I'm looking at you, Force Pit. Another minor suggestion I have is the addition of an "End is tough" forum and subsequent forum section. This would be the first section visible on the forum. The people deserve a place to discuss just how tough End really is.

So what do you guys think? Sub for president, or not so much?

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, I think that Newbie Central and Help should be separate.

Other than that, Sub for president.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol, Skyrider is going to hate this suggestion. A lot of work.

One more thing I forgot to add: Can we please uncensor g a y?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, I just saw your edit. I will remove most of the stickies. (My threads)

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol, Skyrider is going to hate this suggestion. A lot of work.

One more thing I forgot to add: Can we please uncensor g a y?
I agree with Dam for the most part. We'll see who listens, I've tried at least bringing the ESF League section to attention, but I've been ignored there :(

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I just feel like those two sections serve the same exact purpose, but I can see where you guys are coming from with wanting to keep them seperate. If we fix some of the worse offenders (ESF-L), I'd be pretty happy.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fightclub is home to some of the most epic posts EVER.

anyone know where the Humpie vs Smo thread went? =[

Gamers - Desire (Host)
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Thats exact what I've been discussing today with skyrider.

I'm almost with you Sub, the Forum is rlly full of old posts... we need to get rid of those. :rolleyes:

~greets skizer

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm almost with you Sub, the Forum is rlly full of old posts... we need to get rid of those. :rolleyes:
Purge redundant sections: yes... remove old threads, no. In my humble third-party opinion, nothing should be deleted permanently. The forum has always frowned upon hard-deleting threads, etc. Should some sections go away, it would be nice to archive the threads that lay within to give them a new home.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There hasn't been two suggestions sections since about the time Sky bought the forum license, so we don't need to worry about merging them.

Misc, I imagine, may get more attention after 1.3 is finalized and out the door. But, for now, as you mentioned, the lion's share of customization falls into the domains of models/skins, maps, and plug-ins. I guess that only leaves sound packs and music for Misc =P

Also, while I haven't been the section's largest contributor, I'm with Cuc - Fan Fic/Fight Club stays at least as long as I'm around, as well.

I'm also with grOOvy - sticky clean-ups are always welcomed, but removing old posts is out of the question.

Otherwise, I think that Sub's suggestions are perfectly valid, minus the "End is tough" one. Sorry, Sub.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats exact what I've been discussing today with skyrider.

~greets skizer
We're not going to delete old posts. Sorry.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Sub for president if he promises to bring back cruise control.

Other than that I agree with it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no wai, have they taken the addon off?

EDIT:

DAMN IT NO THEY HAVEN'T - KAIN HOW'D YOU DO THAT?

DOUBLE EDIT:

WTF?
I told you I'd deliver as President.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom