Fortune Teller Baba's Palace

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My very first ESF map, for the new forum competition:

This was my main ref, though I have many others:

I think i'm about 60% done. Still on my to-do list is...

-Some textures
-Skybox
-Railings on the buildings balconys
-More env_models (trees and rocks)
-More player start points
-Dragonballs
-Golden spires on the buildings
-Lighting
-Sound/Ambience
-Realistic coastline (not flat and straight)
-Everything under the surface of the water
-Anything else added in this thread :]

Feedback appreciated, I pretty much taught myself save for a few tutorials so i'm sure theres a lot to pick up on.

1956 Faces so far

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks, any crits? I figured all the good DBZ locales would have been done by now by team, community or competition participants so I thought i'd do some DB stuff instead.

EDIT: Is there a way to turn brushes (the pyramids) into env_models so they can be thrown by Frieza in 1.3?

Best answers
*likes DB* Are u gonna make the buildings accesible?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Probably not, but that could be because of my lack of knowledge and experience. Due to the round shape of the buildings, they all have high face counts compared to say, square buildings. If I hollowed them out and carved an entry, the face count per building would be huge (I tried it and the brush turned nearly pure white because of all the edge lines), plus i'd have to put stuff in them which would add to it further.

I was thinking about modelling the buildings (like esf_guru) for lower counts (and r_speeds) but then you wouldn't be able to jump on them or throw people into them. Plus I can barely model. Of course if there's a way I can do it without effecting speeds or slowing down computers then i'll definatley do it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Youv'e followed the ref pic pretty well & it looks like it's coming together nicely :yes:.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok the first platform that goes to the fighting arena is smaller then the second one. You need the second cone on top of the two bigger building. The pyramids needs to be smaller in height. If you compaire the height to the building across from the pyramids, the pyramids are alot smaller.

Coming along great there Dust

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the crits and comments, I made the first brdige shorter like you said. Not sure what you mean about the buildings (feel free to draw on the pics and post them, I always find that helps :]). As for the pyramids being too big...

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2108/stupidpyramid3es.jpg

I actually found the scale was messed up in general so i'll spend tomorrow working on that.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/904/scales6im.jpg

In all the pics I used Yamcha to measure scale (Goku's kinda short :eek:) but I guess either he was short then, or I made a few mistakes which caused bigger ones.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Scale is now sorted, as far as I can see everythings the right height and the paths are the right length and width. Also I removed the trees because i'll add some better ones in later. Water is now a func_water rather than just a brush with a !texture. I made it translucent (invisible bots attacking you from underwater = the lose). Also got rid of the short max viewable distance and cleaned up some brushes that intersected one another.

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/6061/hl20050913175534322kt.jpg

Thanks for the crits, keep 'em coming :D Also i'd like some suggestions because it's looking a little bit plain at the moment.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks spiffy so far, maybe you should try adding some more details to the buildings?

And maybe add some little things underwater, like a few algae or something.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't even remember that place, at all. I like the idea a lot, but there's so much room for more detail.

-More building detail.
-More terrain detail (altitude)
-Underwater terrain ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyo said:
Looks spiffy so far, maybe you should try adding some more details to the buildings?

And maybe add some little things underwater, like a few algae or something.
Most of the detail will be from the textures, which I still haven't done yet (i'll do them when the maps finished), i'm using default HL and ESF textures as placeholders. I was planning on texturing on the doors and windows as you can't hollow a sphere properly in Hammer without it shattering and turning into a million faces which would slow the map down. However i've recently found a tutorial explaining how to manually hollow a sphere , and it's been down ever since -_-

I'm working on the water now. The water in the series is calm and still (not to mention completley opaque :p) but i'm going to spice it up a bit and hopefully underwater will be interesting.

Coldeh said:
I don't even remember that place, at all. I like the idea a lot, but there's so much room for more detail.

-More building detail.
-More terrain detail (altitude)
-Underwater terrain ?
It's Baba's palace/arena where she makes people fight her warriors (or pay 10mil Zenie) to have their fortune told, you only see it DB's Fortune Teller Baba saga I think.

Building detail will be massivley revamped when that hollow sphere tut is up, as you should be able to go inside and stuff without the game slowing down (Hammer hates spheres apparently), and it should look good with the textures. Terrain detail, both underwater and sandy desert is what i'm working on right now so you'll see something in the next update. Altitude will be a major problem as the oasis the palace is in is surrounded by flat desert.

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4633/wmplayer20050911164901600sn.jpg

I might just ignore the ref and make some mountains and interesting ground rather than a level beach for varietys sake, what do you think?

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I might just ignore the ref and make some mountains and interesting ground rather than a level beach for varietys sake, what do you think?
sounds good :)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
and maybe u could add some brakeable stuff like under water mountains like in esf_skycraper
well not such big explosion but big enough
and maybe another water texture

and wich powerup is that ??
me wants it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom