Format

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hello all, well a few of you know that I'm not good with pc's and all that difficult stuff, but now here's my problem, I want to format my C drive, it's my only harddrive, I've backd up my folders and stuff I need, the only problem is, I right click on the drive and click on "format", then I say accept or yes or whatever than they give me a warning that everything will be deleted, blah blah, but then after that I get this:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3774/problemut7.jpg

I have no idea what to do, and yes this is my first time formatting my pc myself, am I doing it the right way though and can someone please help me to get past that problem!

I've got all the drivers I need for the future, so you don't need to worry about that and I don't have any other programs running, so I'm not sure what they are talking about! :(

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You'll need your XP cd for this. Go into your bios and change your bios to boot off the cdrom as the first device. When prompted, select what filesystem you want to format the drive in (I always use NTFS, and whatever you do, don't select the quick format options, it ends up being worse in most cases).

After you have selected the drive, the drive will start formatting itself and once it's done fomatting your pc will reboot. From there, you'll be configuring windows options etc.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're trying to format the drive while you're using it. The feature you're using is there for formatting external media (floppy disks) and other hard disk partitions (namely ones that don't contain the OS you're running). So, that isn't going to work. :p

Once you're positive that you've backed up everything important (bookmarks, email, files, game saves, work, etc), boot the computer from your Windows XP CD (it should just be a matter of putting the CD in the drive, and rebooting - most modern PCs already check the CD/DVD drive first before booting from the HDD). Microsoft has made the installation rather painless, but it can be a little scary if you've never installed an OS before.

I don't remember the exact procedure, but it should be fairly straightforward. The installer will present your partition table to you, and ask which partition you want to install to. You'll probably only see one, which is your C:\ drive under Windows. Proceed, and it will ask about reformatting. Format it to NTFS (I don't even remember if XP gives you the choice), and you're in for a good 30 minutes to an hour of XP installation.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
THANX SOOOO MUCH! sorry I got excited, this is the first time I do this on my own, lol

It's busy formatting now, and I can do the rest, well happy gaming and chrz!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
donnierisk said:
THANX SOOOO MUCH! sorry I got excited, this is the first time I do this on my own, lol

It's busy formatting now, and I can do the rest, well happy gaming and chrz!
Where is the "Thankyou Overlord for your help" (assiting you via msn bit by bit :().

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hehe, I'm just waiting for the process to be completed, come by my house and I'll show you how thankful I am, lol

I'm gonna give you something very cool, you'll see. oh and Dragondude, without you I'd also not be able to, thx ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom