For those who worried about Vista licensing...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6131900.html?tag=nl.e589

Article said:
On Oct. 16, Microsoft issued the new user license for Vista, including terms that would have limited the ability of those who buy a boxed copy of the operating system to transfer that license. Under the proposed terms, users could have made such a switch only one time.
However, the new restriction prompted an outcry among hardware enthusiasts and others. Microsoft is returning the licensing terms to basically what they were in Windows XP--users can transfer their license to a new PC an unlimited number of times, provided they uninstall and stop using it on the prior machine.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o/

Now that's what I like to hear.

Costumer is king, *****es. Never forget that.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*******s from outter space said:
provided they uninstall and stop using it on the prior machine.
So I still have to buy 2 if I want to put it on both my computers I'm guessing?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good news indeed.

Chris` said:
So I still have to buy 2 if I want to put it on both my computers I'm guessing?
That goes for all software, afaik.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Good news indeed.

That goes for all software, afaik.
Yeah, you're right, because I had to buy 2 microsoft offices for both my computers, as well as 2 Guild Wars' for both computers, and even 2 World of Warcraft games

umm no?

Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
This makes pirating Windows easy again. Awesome.
No it doesn't... You still have to call Microsoft for the activation key code when transferring to a different system.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
No it doesn't... You still have to call Microsoft for the activation key code when transferring to a different system.
Not sure if you're new to this but... people have found a way to crack it so you can manually make a fake key code and just use it without calling Microcrap. :scared:

Best answers
Lith said:
Not sure if you're new to this but... people have found a way to crack it so you can manually make a fake key code and just use it without calling Microcrap. :scared:
Oh I'm not new to such things-- but I know that Microsoft like most companies out there is gonna beef up on their security more than ever. And I'm sure that users are gonna experience far more trouble trying to crack this OS.

EDIT-- What's more, what if they add in anti piracy methods that detect the attempt of piracy. Like if you try to subjugate the system, the pc detects it and shuts down. And one of Vista's new features is Microsoft-controlled security through the disabling of watermarked programs. Not to mention the system auto validates in some sort of security period. Either way, like I said, people are gonna be having far more trouble than this OS is worth.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Oh I'm not new to such things-- but I know that Microsoft like most companies out there is gonna beef up on their security more than ever. And I'm sure that users are gonna experience far more trouble trying to crack this OS.

EDIT-- What's more, what if they add in anti piracy methods that detect the attempt of piracy. Like if you try to subjugate the system, the pc detects it and shuts down. And one of Vista's new features is Microsoft-controlled security through the disabling of watermarked programs. Not to mention the system auto validates in some sort of security period. Either way, like I said, people are gonna be having far more trouble than this OS is worth.
That's what they said about WoW and GW...yet I found a way around both. Still bought them because they're fantastic games. But the point is, they'll find a way around it. They always do.

EDIT: For example the Mac OSX or w/e (I hate macs so don't quote me) the OS that was "unhackable" was hacked by a hacker (holy **** I know) who said that he used something that the programmers/ coders didn't know about yet. They'll find a way, I can assure you.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Was reading up on this a few days ago, thank god I won't have to go through with such craptacular licensing terms that they were planned previously. I should have a copy of vista in my hands from my brother before the end of my month from his work too (Legal copy too :)).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chris` said:
Yeah, you're right, because I had to buy 2 microsoft offices for both my computers, as well as 2 Guild Wars' for both computers, and even 2 World of Warcraft games

umm no?
It depends on each individual program. Ever read those EULA's when you install stuff? Me neither. I just remember my elementary had two copies of SimCity 2000, so only two computers had the game on it. The line for it was a *****. They eventually bought a licence to make multiple installations.

MS Word EULA said:
1.1 Installation and use. You may:
(a) install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or other device; and
(b) install an additional copy of the Software on a second, portable device for the exclusive use of the primary
user of the first copy of the Software.
Two copies, one must be on a laptop.

Oblivion EULA said:
LICENSE. Subject to this Agreement and its terms and conditions, LICENSOR hereby grants you the non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to use one copy of the Software for your personal, non-commercial use on a single home or portable computer. The Software is being licensed to you and you hereby acknowledge that no title or ownership in the Software is being transferred or assigned and this Agreement should not be construed as a sale of any rights in the Software. All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are reserved by LICENSOR and, as applicable, its licensors.
Almost all games have something similar. But WoW and Guild Wars you can just go nuts with. Those give each user an individual account, so it really doesn't matter how many times you install it.

Not that I've ever tried to follow this. I've always had stuff installed at my mom's and my dad's. If you've paid for the software, I figure you can do what you want with it, limited use be damned.

Was reading up on this a few days ago, thank god I won't have to go through with such craptacular licensing terms that they were planned previously. I should have a copy of vista in my hands from my brother before the end of my month from his work too (Legal copy too ).
When's it officially out?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good news, now they need to yank the trusted computing component from the 64 bit version, and we're gold.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, trusted computing needs to die. Companies need to seriously stop wasting money on creating all these security systems to try to stop piracy though. Piracy WILL happen. Everything WILL be cracked so long as there is people out there willing to try. They'd do better to throw the money into other places like marketing/anti-piracy education, or something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
When's it officially out?
He's just getting a release candidate on dvd (Overlord has 56k iirc). The official one isn't due for a while.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mr. Zorg said:
He's just getting a release candidate on dvd (Overlord has 56k iirc). The official one isn't due for a while.
Yes, sad but true, I have 56k :( (Because my mum is a complete noob when it comes to computers and thinks dial up is a good connection when for the same price when you add the phone call costs she could get 512k dsl or even dsl2 with 18gb dl limit for a similar price). I should have it though when it ships to companies, plus not to mention there's a hp office and a Microsoft related office right next to the d-link office where my brother works.

Best answers
I feel your Pain, Untill recently I was using Dial-up. Till the phone bill came in. 180 local calls for the month! 180x22cents+20 bucks for a month of 56k. So thats what - $59.60. Went to Netspace on their 512k Plan and got 30GB od Downloads. (Unlike Bigpond the uploads are NOT counted! yay!).
Anyhow, I have Vista RC2 Downloading now. I'll probably Check out the hyped aero glass, and use it as another test machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom