For minors

Best answers
It seems the world of gaming is starting to get interesting, with violence game bills being passed, and the whole jack thompson thing, now minors are going to get in on it, or try to anyways, i don't think it will work but it might.

ESA sues Minnesota
Industry trade group wants recently adopted fine for minors caught buying adult games declared unconstitutional, EMA in agreement.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Jun 6, 2006 3:18 pm PT
Last week, Republican Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty signed into law a measure that will impose a $25 fine on minors who purchase games rated M for Mature or AO for Adults Only and require retailers to post signs notifying customers of the fine. The Entertainment Software Association promptly announced its intent to sue the state, and the trade group said it filed the suit this afternoon.

"The bill's tortured effort to end run the First Amendment by punishing kids directly fails under the Constitution because children have rights under the First Amendment, like all other citizens," ESA president Doug Lowenstein said in a statement. "The State is attempting to impose liability on children because they know that courts have consistently held that they cannot penalize retailers. We believe that the courts will agree that fining children violates the First Amendment as well."

Lowenstein questions how the state expects to enforce the law and collect the $25 fine from minors. In a recent interview with GameSpot, the bill's author, Minnesota State Senator Sandra Pappas of the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party, said the state didn't actually plan on prosecuting children under this law, that the retailers' warning signs could be enough of a deterrent for minors, and that "the whole goal is just to educate parents."

The ESA isn't the only trade organization speaking out against the law. Bo Andersen, president of the newly formed Entertainment Merchants Association, is siding with the ESA.

"Legislators in the state of Minnesota have enacted a video game restriction law that they apparently do not want enforced and understand cannot constitutionally be enforced," Andersen said in a statement. "Unfortunately, as a result of the legislature threatening to impose penalties on the children of Minnesota, it will be the taxpayers of the state who pay the penalty when this law is overturned, as it must be."

Honestly if you are underage don't play it, in the longrun it will eventually hurt everyone while you get your 2 hours of kicks lol.

Best answers
I support the idea of a harder attitude towards minors buying M rated games.. Or 12 year old's buying 16+ rated games.. I play DoDS quite often, and the voicecomm there can be spammed with 12 year old boys that actually sound like girls.. The game is rated 16+.. Stick to that ffs.. You're not allowed to drive a car before you're 16 (or later in some/most countries), why do people stick to that agelimit? :/ Weird imho..

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
You're not allowed to drive a car before you're 16 (or later in some/most countries), why do people stick to that agelimit? :/ Weird imho..
Because there are far greater consequences associated with driving a car without proper licensing and training, versus playing San Andreas when you're 14. If the penalties for playing an M rated game when you weren't of age, was the same as driving a car without a license, I'm sure you'd see a lot less of it.

How exactly is that weird?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the parents aren't even supervising what their children are playing, it's their own damn fault. Making sure you're kids stay out of trouble and aren't teaching themselves to kill each other is a part of being a parent. If parents aren't doing their job, a little slap on the wrist fine isn't going to straighten out the child.

This certainly wasn't such a big deal when I was growing up. Who here played Doom? That was about as bloody as it came, and I loved that game. Then it was Duke Nukem 3D, probably the PC shooter I've logged the most hours playing. Those games had as much pixelated blood as possible, and I don't think anybody cared back then.

Up until I turned 18, nothing pissed me off more than picking out the latest game, saving up to buy it only to have the wrinkled ***** at Walmart tell me I wasn't old enough to buy that. Thanks for the conservative values, Walmart. When I turned 18 I damn near shoved my ID down her throat showing her that she could piss off about the age thing.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Funny, I have never had that problem. I was buying M rated games such as leisure suit larry when I was 9 years old. I am 19 now and of course won't ever have that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom