Fitting a new PSU.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A few weeks back I made a thread about getting a new PSU, because my current one was old and underpowered. Well, I ordered a 380W from Antec (I heard they were reputable), but now I have to fit it. I just shelled out ?50 for the PSU, I don't want to have to pay another ?20 to get it fitted if it's something I can do myself.

So does anyone have any really good links to tutorials, or step-by-step instructions? Google wasn't really too helpful. Thanks in advance.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Screwing it in and plugging what into what. Also if there have to be any changes to the software side of things (when the PC boots up).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the video, but it doesn't show the bit I need, there are a lot of wires, I have no idea what to connect to what, i'd rather not experiment through trial-and-error in case I damage something.

By software, I meant more of the BIOS, when you press a button as your computer boots and it takes you to a screen with hardware settings.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Installing a PSU is very straight forward and simple. If your'e having a problem with it you can probably look at your mainboard manual for instructions, or a booklet that may come with your PSU.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You will have to be more specific about your main board configuration to answer questions of connectivity. If you find that you have inssuficient connetors, or wrong connectors, adapters are easy to procure and sufficiently cheap enough to make it a non-issue.

As for fitting, most PSUs are standard, so long as you aren't buying for a shuttle or mini-atx system, it will be four screws, and as already mentioned, it will only go in one way.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
If you're unsure of what connects to what then take note of all of the connections when you remove your old one and that should give you all you need.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overlord said:
Installing a PSU is very straight forward and simple
You truly underestimate how stupid I am. I was told switching the motherboard was a simple procedure, I ended up screwing it directly to the metal case without any kind of buffer and blew it up :(

I found out about mini-ATX and shuttle-based systems when I went to buy it, luckily it's a standard PC with regular ATX.

Thanks to all who helped, I noticed that the 'Q-Power' PSU was much lighter than the Antec one, I hooked it up (gave the inside of the PC a good dusting too) and it runs perfectly, quieter than the other one too.

Muchos gracias - a moderator can close this now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom