First step to HL2 SDK?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/22/news_6091898.html

"Softimage has today announced the imminent release of Softimage XSI EXP for Half-Life 2, a free version of its award-winning 3D nonlinear production environment designed to work exclusively with Half-Life 2. Scheduled for release on the official Softimage Web site on March 24, the software will allow Half-Life 2 fans to create and modify content for Half-Life 2 mods as well as other Valve Source engine-powered titles."

Your thoughts? This should please quite a few people.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if this means that the SDK is coming soon, that'd be really good news for me :laff:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How long have you been waiting to start up your mod Navanax?

And yes, very good news :)

Best answers
It'd be nice for the SDK to be released soon, then we could see the HL mod community migrate to a new and beautifal engine. I can't wait to see what mods will arise from HL2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
It'd be nice for the SDK to be released soon, then we could see the HL mod community migrate to a new and beautifal engine. I can't wait to see what mods will arise from HL2.
Arise? There are already like hundreds of mods already :scared:.

Best answers
No one does anything original enough for me to really care about what people do with the HL2 SDK.

"Yay. More tactical shooters. More anime-based games. More watching mods that never get finished."

HL2 releasing an SDK is cool and all, but I'm not too interested because the stuff people are going to make with it just will not impress me.

Hopefully I'll get a team made for the mod I want to make. It won't be the norm.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure almost every Mod team thinks that. "My mod will be different." Yet, the percentage of successful mods is discouragingly small. Good luck, and all that, though.

Best answers
Well, it's not going to be a tactical shooter, and it's not going to be based off of an anime, or anything in the media. Think 20% Def Jam Vendetta, 20% Oni, 20% Soul Caliber 2, 20% Smash Bros., 20% Quality Presentation.

I should start looking for a team..

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should add 20% Powerstone 2. ^_^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
/me punches this topic off of Halorin's mod idea and back to the HL2 SDK

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good news I guess, the SDK is just a little bit closer than it was before earlier. I don't think I'm in a hurry waiting for HL2 though. I didn't get Half-Life for Half-Life itself, I got it for the mods, and from what I've seen for the mods in plans so far, I'm not too excited yet. Too many people promising the same things, thinking people will love their mods simply because they're going to use the HL2 engine.

Best answers
Another thing to look at is the fact that Valve themselves aren't releasing this thing. Looks like of funny, if you ask me. Oh well. HL2 is looking more and more like a fraud if you ask me.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree. The sourcecode was kept on a internet-accessible server? Besides, he didn't -change- the code. All he did is expose that they hadn't finished it. So what's the real justification for the delay? Not that they were "hacked," that they were lying to everybody.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin said:
Another thing to look at is the fact that Valve themselves aren't releasing this thing. Looks like of funny, if you ask me. Oh well. HL2 is looking more and more like a fraud if you ask me.

Now why would they do that? Why put so many man hours and production time into something they aren't going to finish?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
/me punches the topic off of HL2 delays and possible lies back onto the future release of the SDK

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
!XxShAdOwxX! said:
How long have you been waiting to start up your mod Navanax?
Well, we've thought the whole thing out already, so we're just waiting for the SDK so we can actually start working :p

Anyhoo, I emailed Valve a while back, asking if the HL2 delay meant that the SDK was going to be delayed as well: I got a mail back saying that that wasn't the case :D

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
does any1 know if any anime or db/z/gt mods will be made for hl2 ?

Best answers
Halorin said:
I've got a playable beta that disagrees with you.

Not trying to advertise warez, just making a point.

/dodges warning

Ammmmmyway, I'm thinking about offering services to a mod team now that I'm done with school, PM me if you want to see some of my work. Hopefully HL2 will support some gd vertex animation!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Abe Froman said:
I've got a playable beta that disagrees with you.
No you don't... because it's not a beta :S
It's not even an alpha... it's a LEAK, it wasn't meant to be released.

But still, why would anyone think HL2 is just "a fraud" anyway? o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom