First Revolution Screenshots

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well first off, it appears the next issue of Game Informer has an exclusive 11 page cover story on Ubisofts new Rev game called Red Steel.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0407.1251.24078.htm

And what's this? Leaked scans of the magazine? If this is the real deal, then no one has to worry about the Rev graphics sucking, they're sitting fairly far on the awesome looking side of the scale.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24504614

Finally! Actualy Rev Info, i'm so stoked! I'll totally be picking up this issue to check out what this game will be like.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy ****.

Just..

Holy ****.

That's mother****in' awesome right there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.endangeredgamer.blogspot.com/

I found a blog with more scans of the magazine. So here they are. The guy also says this.

"i just finished reading the actual article in game informer, and it says that the sword and guns can be twisted in your hand, by twisting the rev's remote. so you can shoot gangster style and block with the sword. also, there is split screen and online multiplayer planned, just no details yet. you can also jump over and take cover behind objects by moving the rev's remote towards a upturned table or a wall, and reload by pulling the remote back. by the way, they are ingame screenshots. this game is looking ****ing hot as hell."

Awesome, just awesome.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I read that too. :3

o__o I think I need new pants.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A bit ugly, but hey, graphics don't make a game.

I am really interested in the mechanics. The controller seems to be really cool.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well at least SOMETHING is showbn, graphics look great. Even if they aren't ps3 great, at least its a decent step from teh gamecube's.

But I already knew the controller was going to work for FPS, I want to see how it will be used in the other genres.

Best answers
0_0 OMG.........Whoa what the hell ?...next time put a warning sign Hash......damn ..I was standing up when i saw and read this.....who knows which way i could"ve fainted .......j/k....-- But I dont know what to say though...except im happy......that looks...good...really good....no great...much better then i expected anyway..........meh...i better go lay down now.....

But I already knew the controller was going to work for FPS, I want to see how it will be used in the other genres.
--QFT

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should save your gasps until you see a gameplay video. :p

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm considering that blog fake until proven otherwise - Got any other links?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
I'm considering that blog fake until proven otherwise - Got any other links?
Well their is the first link I have that goes to the game informer site saying "Hey, buy our next issue because we have Exclusive Hands-on with the Revolution game Red Steel." Ign also has confirmed its existence, oh and their is also this:

So ya, i'm pretty sure it's real.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not doubting the game exists; I'm doubting the authenticity of those screenshots. Unless more than one site posts scans of the issue, I'm considering those screens photoshoped.

edit: Hmm, nevermind. That forum post is by someone who works for Ubisoft. I suppose those scans were real.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
:p While I do think the graphics will look very spiffy, I do have to agree with Alea. Let's not get too excited and hope we get some real footage soon. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Somre more info, I haven't picked up the mag yet, but here is a summary some guy wrote from the gamespot forums.

------------------------------------------------------

Yes, we all know Red Steel is one of the games that will redefine FPS, and that the controller will mimick all kind of weapons almost perfectly. But I decided to sum up everything that was readable in the mag scans, and it is very very interesting:

Story

It's a game about vengeance. You are an american male, and when your girlfriend is kidnapped, you discover her father, Sato, actually is a Yakuza boss. Sato's worst enemy, Tokal, kidnapped Sato's daughter to exchange her for a legendary and extremely valuable katana (yes, that will be your sword). Sato tries to attack Tokal's clan, but he fails and is injured. Before dying, he gives you the sword and asks you to save her daughter. So you have a sword and no skills. The game isn't only about searching for Tokal and killing him, but also learning new skills for the final showdown. That's kind of funny, cause we'll need to learn to master the remote, too.

Gameplay elements and other info

1. Game development started shortly after E3 2005. Ubisoft saw and demoed the controller before E3 2005.
2.Ubisoft Paris took their idea directly to Iwata and Miyamoto, and were given the go ahead. After that meeting they were given prototype controllers. The article states that Ubisoft worked "closely" with Nintendo's engineers in Japan on the title
3.Game Informer mentions that while conducting the interviews with Ubisoft, they were handed the "latest version" of the controller
4.During the beginning of the game, you are encouraged to use your weapons ruthlessly, but as the game progresses you become more proficient and strategic. This gameplay idea led Ubisoft to decide to give the game a martial arts setting. "Enter the Yakuza"
5.The first third of the game will be all about being "brutal by necessity"
6.You will be less precise and favor more devastating weapons (machine guns)
7.As you progress and become more precise, smaller guns will be used
8."The goal...is to use five bullets to kill five enemies"
9."When fighting with this level of skill, the music and sound effects will reflect it, remaining calm and peaceful"
10."When you fight brutally, the sounds around you grow increasingly more intense"
11."Audio feedback"
12.Freeze shot: by fighting effciently you fill the Freeze Shot gauge...fighting chaotically causes to decreases
13.When the gauge is filled you can hit a button to momentarily stop time, and then target specific locations on enemy bodies
14.Headshots thus are tempting, but non lethal shots, such as shooting guns out of enemy hand, can be more beneficial
15.By defeating high ranking leaders who command others and sparing their lives, you will be rewarded. He will offer you respect and help (guns, help, new weapons, alternate paths, etc)
16.Respect plays a MAJOR part in the game
17.Flailing your sword isn't a smart idea
18.Specific motions with the controller will trigger combos (in the final game)
19.Tracing an X in the air, for instance, will unleash a devastating attack
20.You can stop these combos at any time by simply pausing your own movement. So if you do something that leaves you open to attack, you won't be screwed
21.New moves will be taught to you by two mentors in the game
22.One will teach you gun tactics, and another will teach sword tactics
23.If you don't show the proper respect to them, they won't help you
24.Friendly/respectful interaction is tied to the controller
25.You signal "yes/no" answers by nodding the controller up or down or shaking it from side to side
26.You show extra respect by bowing to the masters
27.Ubisoft is still coming up with other interactions
28."You can act disrespectively as well: there are no cut scenes in the game - all conversations take place in game, as in Half Life 2. However unlike that game, characters wont keep prattling on if you walk away from them. They will react angrily to your imputent behavior"
29.Staying in the master's good graces is key: they give you missions that can be tackled in any order
30.You track down the gang leaders and try to turn them to your side. If you don't, they will join Tokai's (the main villian) gang
31.You have to prove you are worthy to them by battling them and sparing their lives.
32.You will need as many of them with you as possible to face Tokai. Without their help, you'll have a rough time when you finally face him
33.You turn gang leaders to your side by besting them in battle and stopping a deadly blow miliseconds before it strikes
34.Training sessions are offered by the two masters so you can hone your skills
35. Spliscreen mulplayer and online.

About multiplayer

1.Split screen multiplayer with traditional deathmatches
2.Totally original multiplayer modes Ubisoft is not revealing yet. Wait until E3
3.They didn't talk about Nintendo Wi Fi (NDAs). Full details haven't been revealed yet
4.Revolution works by placing a small sensor bar either above or below any TV
5.You can stand at any angle and not lose any accuracy. You can even
take your controller to a friend's house and instantly start playing
without syncing up the controller
6."Perhaps most impressive is the fact that although splitscreen reduces the amount of onscreen space you are playing in, you don't haveto make smaller movements - you can gesture as wildly as you want, and it won't interfere with the other player's onscreen quadrants"

Quotes from Game Informer

1.The two triggers on the front of the analog unit activate ducking and
jumping. The analog stick controls movement, and the revmote controls aiming. No rails.
2.Level consisted of shooting ranges that popped out from behind cover: "Aiming with the controller is as simple as using a laser pointer. You point your hand at a target and hit the trigger on the underside of the controller to fire"
3."Unlike other FPS games, which tie the camera and aiming together, Red Steel's camera follows your aim with a slight delay. If, for example, you point to the edge of the screen, the camera will turn to re-center on your view after a second. With the sensitivity of the controller, a standard FPS control would move too much, potentially making the player feel ill."
4."Thanks to the improved reaction that the controller offers, the team can create gunfight scenerios that would be extraordinarily diffilcult with a standard controller"
5.Most console FPS games limit their enemies to horizontal planes to prevent player frustration, but targets on a verticle plane are just as easy to hit with the Revolution controller
6.You can aim at a target as quickly as you can move your hand
7.In the demo targets popped up on rooftops and in second story windows, as well as behind cover points on the ground, and all were equally easy to hit."
8.While you can quickly shoot enemies anywhere on screen, Red Steel never feels in a light-gun game - this is a true FPS, one that feels like it has drawn from the best of both the PC and console shooter
worlds

------------------------------------------------------

It's sounding pretty sweet, can't wait to see some videos of the game. But i'm 99% sure that won't happen till E3. Oh well, its only like a month away.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
That sounds pretty sweet.

Best answers
There may have been talk about how most people would feel a fool to actually be flailing an imaginary sword around in their living room, but I can honestly say I would give it a fair chance, even if I do look like an idiot... I love being drawn into my games. Imagine the possibilities with this and Jedi series, or some other little gem that LucasArts might churn out. Your actions depicted what happened in Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy, imagine how much so this would play into Light/Dark depiction, based on how you reacted to the events at hand.... But I often pipe-dream.

If we can see a decent demo of this, I may be sold on the Revolution.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I had in a quote before the one in my sig,
It was something along the lines of "Whats the point of next generation consoles, if there are no next generation games?"
I'm really looking forward to owning a Nintendo Revolution.
It wont completely crush my wallet so I can also buy a few games if they are not included with the Nintendo R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom