Firefox2: A closer look

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Update 25/10/06: Now officially released - http://getfirefox.com
Update: Full version has now been released (not officially until tomorrow), however you can get it early off Mozilla's ftp: http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/win32/en-US/

Firefox 2 has been in beta and now recently Release Candidate release status, with the final release of Firefox 2 expected towards the end of the month. I've been using the 2.0 builds for a while now and thought I might go through a run through of new features/changes in Firefox2.

New Features:

New User Theme

As you can see from the screen shot above, the default user theme has changed. It's different, but looks very nice IMO :).

Tabbed browsing improvements
As you can see in the screen shots above, tabbed browsing has been improved. There are now close buttons on each tab. This isn't really a big improvement though considering you can add this functionality using extensions in previous versions of Firefox and that Opera also has close buttons on tabs by default, but a step forward none the less (having it implemented natively as well decreases the chance of bugs for this functionality plus brings features to the Firefox user base that are or were unaware of what extensions could do for them). Where the tab close button use to be via default is now replaced by a tab list.

Anti phishing filter

Phishing Protection is turned on by default in Firefox 2, and works by checking the sites that you browse to against a list of known phishing sites. This list is automatically downloaded and regularly updated within Firefox 2 when the Phishing Protection feature is enabled. Since phishing attacks can occur very quickly, there's also an option to check the sites you browse to against an online service such as Google for more up-to-date protection. This enhanced capability can be turned on via the Security preferences panel.

How do I turn Phishing Protection protection on or off?
On Windows and Linux, go to Tools > Options ... > Security. On Mac OS X, go to Preferences > Options ... > Security.

Inline spell checking

A spell checker is now included in firefox2. Picture says all really :p.

Addon Manger

Both Extensions and Themes are now managed in the same window rather then being managed separately.

JavaScript 1.7 Support
JavaScript 1.7 is a language update introducing several new features, in particular generators, iterators, array comprehensions, let expressions, and destructuring assignment.

Firefox2 isn't to far off release. Most popular extensions already have a ff2 compatible version, and those that don't can be tweaked by modifying the install.rdf by renaming the extension format (.jar) to zip and changing the max version using notepad (however, depending on the functionality that the extension adds it may be broken for numerous reasons). Most user themes are starting to be ported to FF2 as well (Personally though I'm waiting on a native FF2 version of minifoxflat).

All this and more: http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks secksi so far. I think I will update once it's released. :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
Note your link goes to older release info/release notes for Beta1 ;/.
It seems to contain everything you said +! ;/

I edited your link into your post.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cool stuff, just downloaded it. Thanks for the heads up

Edit: I take it back. The bug where I can't open Firefox because the firefox.exe is still running is on there again. It was fixed for me in the last version I had...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
Edit: I take it back. The bug where I can't open Firefox because the firefox.exe is still running is on there again. It was fixed for me in the last version I had...
It's not hard to close the process or application itself ;/.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Yeah but... is the about:mozilla page different?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
I never said it was hard. It's merely annoying, especially considering the fact that this was fixed in the previous version.

Edit: And Firefox just crashed on me. Yeah, I'm going to roll back to the previous version that I've never had any problems with. Does anyone happen to know the exact version number that came before 2.0?

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
Its not something that should happen at all. ;/

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
.. And it just crashed for a second time.

Edit: And a third, this time I was downloading the Supreme Commander beta, which is a gig in size, and was at 80 percent, which I had to wait in line just to start to download. I'm starting it up in IE...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No one else I know is experiencing such issues with Firefox 2 at present. 1.5.0.7 was the previous version before Firefox 2. There has also been talk of another 1.5 update (1.5.0.8) that is planned to be released soon, and that I'd imagine will probably be the last 1.5x related patch that Mozilla should release (Seeing as how they gave 1.0x the same treatment).
jp said:
Its not something that should happen at all.
It happens on very rare occasion for me, just depends on what I'm doing. That's like saying IE should not crash on java pages, and I see that happen on a regular basis when I'm at tafe.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
No one else I know is experiencing such issues with Firefox 2 at present. 1.5.0.7 was the previous version before Firefox 2. There has also been talk of another 1.5 update (1.5.0.8) that is planned to be released soon, and that I'd imagine will probably be the last 1.5x related patch that Mozilla should release (Seeing as how they gave 1.0x the same treatment).

It happens on very rare occasion for me, just depends on what I'm doing. That's like saying IE should not crash on java pages, and I see that happen on a regular basis when I'm at tafe.
Just because it does, doesn't mean it should happen.

That's like saying that its perfectly acceptable for software to be buggy. (then again, this IS a beta)

Eh, I tried FF2 on school, it looks cool but at home i'll stick with FF1.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol, beta status? If it's in beta status, then please explain why I am running the full version now. Please explain why The install file for the full version is on Mozilla's ftp, and also please explain why it's available now officially for download (even before you posted).

Your bound to run into bugs with apps, no matter which way you look at it depending on various factors.

Also note that upon installing just about any Firefox version, you will want to click custom setup and not install the quality feedback agent, as it's known to crash Firefox and cause various other abnormal behavior.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
Lol, beta status? If it's in beta status, then please explain why I am running the full version now. Please explain why The install file for the full version is on Mozilla's ftp, and also please explain why it's available now officially for download (even before you posted).

Your bound to run into bugs with apps, no matter which way you look at it depending on various factors.

Also note that upon installing just about any Firefox version, you will want to click custom setup and not install the quality feedback agent, as it's known to crash Firefox and cause various other abnormal behavior.
The last time I looked, it was a beta/release candidate, at least I thought it was :p

Okay, so I was confused with the release candidate D: but still, if it is the full version, then its not something that should happen AT ALL (ofcourse, because software is made by humans, its never perfect, I do know that and accept it, even so, a bug that was in the previous version that is now in the new version... is not as acceptable, IMO)

But I won't bother anymore on this topic, I supose we can't complain coz its free anyways, and I rather use firefox then any other browser anyways.

**edit**

It was a release candidate/beta/whatever when I tried it out on school, but since this thread it was not, I was too lazy to check out the site itself :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
jp said:
The last time I looked, it was a beta/release candidate, at least I thought it was :p

Okay, so I was confused with the release candidate D: but still, if it is the full version, then its not something that should happen AT ALL (ofcourse, because software is made by humans, its never perfect, I do know that and accept it, even so, a bug that was in the previous version that is now in the new version... is not as acceptable, IMO)

But I won't bother anymore on this topic, I supose we can't complain coz its free anyways, and I rather use firefox then any other browser anyways.

**edit**

It was a release candidate/beta/whatever when I tried it out on school, but since this thread it was not, I was too lazy to check out the site itself :p
I myself have experienced no bugs to the extent of bugs described in this thread, so the problem could be caused on their own end by something they have done or how it's been setup.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
I myself have experienced no bugs to the extent of bugs described in this thread, so the problem could be caused on their own end by something they have done or how it's been setup.
Just because something doesn't happen to you or your 3 friends doesn't mean it doesn't happen period or is always the user's fault. Take that into consideration.

Personally, it worked fine for me ;X.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see how Firefox crashing and refusing to start up is my fault. Firefox worked perfect with no problems before the update. I downloaded and installed the update, there is problems.

You like Firefox, I know Overlord, but that doesn't mean it's perfect.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
I don't see how Firefox crashing and refusing to start up is my fault. Firefox worked perfect with no problems before the update. I downloaded and installed the update, there is problems.

Did you isntall the auality feedback agent along with it?

Quality feedback agent has always caused problems in Firefox (most of the time at least, useless thing to release along with the browser).
Sub said:
I never said it was perfect, plus I do have my own dislikings here and there of Firefox myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom