Firefox Myths - Myths Regarding The Firefox Web Browser

Best answers
Myth (Definition) - A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology. While Firefox is a decent Web Browser, there are numerous Myths floating around the Internet regarding it. Hopefully this site will debunk some of these.

As a FF user, this disturbed me.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Reality - 15% of web sites aren't completely compatible with Firefox. Firefox is not 100% Internet Explorer and ActiveX compatible.
lol, how do you make a web browser "compatible" with another seriously flawed web browser and with a poorly designed technology that only exists on 1 closed platform (and is notorious for security issues)?

Who gives a ****, use whatever browser you want, don't let other people's opinions sway you

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yawn, it's only what I've been saying about Firefox since the begining. It's nice to see some people are actually doing the research and not talking out their ass or Firefox propaganda pages.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting.

Won't stop me from using FF though. :3

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Yawn, it's only what I've been saying about Firefox since the begining. It's nice to see some people are actually doing the research and not talking out their ass or Firefox propaganda pages.
Shut up before I go back in time 2 weeks and release WMF evilness on you (and at least half the forum) <3

Shoulda keylogged all your boxen >:O

----

Alot of stuff on that page is crap too...

"Firefox is Faster than Internet Explorer"
Alot of Internet Explorer's resources are already cached when the system is booted

"Firefox Achieved 10% Market Share in 2005"
There's no way to accurately guage that... counting User Agents from website logs will only give you an approximation (and certain types of sites attract different types of browser, e.g. a linux-related site would definitely have a higher FF-usage than MySpace)

Firefox is anything but Secure with multiple unpatched vulnerabilities allowing exposure of sensitive data to local users.
Patches/Updates are actually RELEASED for problems, instead of you having to wait for "Patch Tuesday" (or in the case of the forementioned WMF exploit, having to wait over a week for an official patch when your gibsons can be hijacked just by you viewing an image). Local users getting data is far less serious that someone else being able to remotely run code on your boxen.

Firefox is a solution to spyware

"This is very misleading and can lull users into a false sense of security. Use Secure XP to properly secure your system and get a REAL solution to Spyware. Firefox is nothing more than a Web Browser."
No, not running your web browser on an admin account is probably a better start, athough using a browser without like ActiveX (which is still fully enabled by default) helps a tremendous deal as well. The lack of serious 0-day exploits in Firefox so far also helps a bit.

"Firefox fully support W3C Standards"
I can't name 1 browser out now that fully supports EVERY standard... but at least FF makes more of an attempt that some other browsers. That coincides with the next point as well...

Reality - 15% of web sites aren't completely compatible with Firefox.
Firefox isn't the issue here, retarded webmasters with nub skillz who use a browser that attempts to improperly formatted code in a somewhat reasonable fashion are to blame. Just because 99% of websites don't make an attempt to follow web standards doesn't mean a browser that does make somewhat of an attempt to follow them is "not compatible". It's called "the webmaster is a ****ing retard" and shouldn't be allowed to write code. He should uninstall Photoshop, ImageReady and Dreamweaver and go hang himself with a cat-5 cable. (or bust out notepad/vi and learn html)

----

lol and what a douche, the XHTML/CSS validation links at the bottom of his page:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...et/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html&usermedium=all

He fails to have any credibility in my eyes now =p he fails at internets

(disclaimer: I am not a firefox fanboy, I'm a fan of flaming idiots who think they have leet technical skills)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@kurt: you know you love firefox ^_^. Actually, I think it was you who got me into FF. <3 for that

I have had bad luck with IE, so FF is a good alternative.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use Firefox. It has only reaffirmed my belief that is lacking. Many sites do not retain my cookies properly (and yes, it's all set up right), and just about any site with live video doesn't work right because it doesn't seem interested in running proper codec plugins (major sites, like WWE.com, the videos will just never play, ever). The video will come up, but it will never finish loading. It is also nowhere near as fast as IE...and whether that's because it caches or not doesn't matter to me--in the end, it's faster. It hasn't helped me much with spyware, so I can't say either way on that subject, but aside from those other minor things, it is relatively equivalent in my experiences. But that's only one person's experience. Plus it just seems illogical to me, the point that the browser isn't bad, it's just that the whole internet is built wrong. It just seems hard to believe for me, considering I've never really happened across a site yet that worked better in Firefox then IE.

Best answers
Well, when I switched to Firefox I was having a lot of trouble with IE, and since then have had no trouble at all with it. I really don't actually care what anyone else says, I'll use the Browser that works best for me: IE broke, so I started using Firefox.

It's like my iPod: I know a lot of people have problems with them for whatever reason, but it works for me, and it works well, so meh, no skin off my nose.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll stick with my Ad-Block, FoxyTunes, FlashBlock, and you know what, just for those few sites that don't format properly, IE-Tab.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's like my iPod: I know a lot of people have problems with them for whatever reason, but it works for me, and it works well, so meh, no skin off my nose.
That is pretty much how I feel about IE. I know it's not the best, I'm not going to get the logo tattooed on my arm or anything, but it hasn't quite failed me yet. But like I said, I use Firefox anyway...which is why I am highly intrigued by this list of stuff Opti just mentioned...

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Just about any site with live video doesn't work right because it doesn't seem interested in running proper codec plugins (major sites, like WWE.com, the videos will just never play, ever). The video will come up, but it will never finish loading.
Yeah, that pisses me off. Whenever I have access to high speed internet, i always go to WWE.com to see the movies, but they never load all the way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
most of you guys just fear using opera huh? -.-"

opera ftw!
f!F0 ftl !!!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
That's what happens when you put your content in a closed proprietary format (in this case, WMV) :p

Microsoft is actually developing a Windows Media Player plugin specifically for Firefox though, will probably be about as good as IE is on Mac, but oh well

Best answers
i always assumed the reason fire fox seems safer than IE is because its newer and less popular than IE so people make less virus's and bugs aimed at fire fox.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, scarecrow tactics are great for making something sound bad. I overheard those pesky Firefox developers talking about how it cured world hunger. We should totally add that to the list.

Best answers
This guy has no proof to support his claim that firefox sucks so. IE is intergrated with Windows, of course it has lower system specs. I use IE 90% and firefox 10% of the time.

Best answers
Cucumba said:
Hmz, wouldn't call that doing research, he's just promoting the avant browser.

For a few of those myths:
Myth - "Firefox is Secure"
Here he compares with Opera. Compared with IE, Firefox is still more secure. From the same source: http://secunia.com/product/11/. Convienantly this is not mentioned (the avant browser is IE-based).

Anyone who claims Internet Explorer cannot be secured from Auto-installing Spyware either doesn't know how or is lying.
The crux is ofcourse that you actually have to secure IE. Firefox is more safe by default.

Firefox fully supports the most important W3C Standards
He tests this by rendering some odd pic with html tags? Now that's the way to see if the 'most important W3C standards' are implemented. From his own page: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...rowser_support_summary.php&btnG=Google+Search
Here you see Firefox-es support for W3C is better dan IE's

There are probably more flaws to be found.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, one annoying thing I can't stand about IE being integrated into windows and basically being its base of operations, is that whenever it crashes, it takes windows with it, but when a 3rd party browser crashes, the application goes down alone. I am not an IE hater, I just prefer 3rd party browsers [like firefox] .

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just to make my point clear, I am not saying that IE is better than Firefox, nor am I saying that the page isn't a site designed to get people to switch to IE based Avant.

I am saying that Firefox is not perfect, and if you can proove me wrong, I will eat my administrator badge.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I... I couldnt decide.

So, as thy say, some sites arent compatible with FF. Thats why they made the IE-FF, FF-IE tab for FF.

ff ftw o/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom