FireFox and CSS

Best answers
Hi all,

I need some help, and i hope someone has enough skills to be of assistance.

I have made a new layout for the site of my fraternity in Holland, and it looks normal and like I intended it in IE 6.0. I also validated it with the W3C rules for both CSS and HTML. But when I checked it in Firefox the site looks totally screwed up and I don't know why or how to make it any better. I tried to get info from everywhere, Googled, posted on some HTML and CSS forums and looked at the Firefox site but it did not get me a step further.

I hope someone can take a look at my site and tell me what the problem is or atleast help me out...

The site is: http://www.spiritusvitalis.com/sv2 .

Thanks in advance,
LaMM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
looks to me like you made it n dream weaver , try frontpage or just writeit up in code , or use a Html vailitdator , could be a bung in your code

Best answers
No I did not do it in dreamweaver, I just used notepad, and sometimes used the references of dreamweaver and I used the first line of dreamweaver in which the doctype and stuff is declared. And I did validate the site for both HTML and CSS and both checked out perfectly! W3C says the coding of my site is perfect, even firefox pluigins say so....

Best answers
Simple problem really. The CSS your using isn't supported by firefox or netscape browsers.

I ran a check for Mozilla 1.0 and Netscape 4.0 and it came up with about 30 errors, and I read some of them and it sounds like thats whats causing it. For example, one error reads:

"Property 'height' not supported, Netscape..." and it would seem your layout gets owned pretty bad by firefox in the 'height' department.

Best answers
Could you give me a link on where you checked it because I could not find anything about it on Google or something. Thanx in advance...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now you know why some of us don't like Firefox all that much in the web design world. The Firefox guys will tell you that Microsoft is responsible, citing that they've made up proprietary commands for IE...but fact is, Firefox and Netscape are both built off of previous browser builds and IE was built after the fact way back in the day, so IE's rendering is always more flexible as a result because it started ahead of the previous standards.

That being said, most of your problems are likely due to your CSS being IE specific. CSS1 spec code can be read by Mozilla and Netscape but you will need to give specific classes and ID's for each, as they use their own separate commands (most are preceded by the word "moz" or "mozilla" I think, should be easy to find a list of them). My bands' site has CSS vs. Firefox problems too but I usually ignore them, simply because every computer in the last 5 years has some form of IE on it and if they really want to see it that badly they can just use it to see it.

Once you add in the mozilla specific commands, you should be good for certain things. However, if you're expecting flexibility in stylized menus, or say scrollbar color changes...you're out of luck, Mozilla just plain doesn't do some of those "flashier" things.

Hell. CSS3 spec code probably won't render in it at all, I think, as it focuses heavily on features not currently supported (things like certain alpha transparency in certain elements, etc). However I know at least that your "height" tag problems are plenty fixable.

Run a search on mozilla specific css commands and you should find all you need. I used to have the website but I can't remember the address. If I recall I'll post it.

Best answers
thanx a lot that was all I needed to know. I will look into this and create a solution.

Thanx!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom