Finished reading Deathnote ... woah... (spoilers)

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just finished the Deathnote manga and I have never had to think so much when reading before. Fantastic though.

The ending was pretty clever how it swapped about so much, I suspected who was winning at times but then something would prove my idea wrong, then right again etc.

Spoilers

I never though that Ryuk would take Light out, I knew there would be a catch when he got his note out but never thought he'd turn on Light. I thought he'd just want something from him.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One of my favorite series. I watched the anime before I read the manga though, but it was great, very close to the manga.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One of my favorite series. I watched the anime before I read the manga though, but it was great, very close to the manga.
Apparently they're close but the anime has to rush the ending and cut out the monologues due to being so short.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most readers thought that having L die was a mistake, but I found it ever more interesting. The ending was very surprising, even though it was an unpleasant surprise, the anime itself was enough.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most readers thought that having L die was a mistake, but I found it ever more interesting. The ending was very surprising, even though it was an unpleasant surprise, the anime itself was enough.
I didn't think it was a mistake at all, I thought it was a great part of the series. It was an emotional episode because you had no idea what was going to happen next now that the series' main antagonist was dead.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those were my thoughts too.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was a lot harder to see it coming too. You expected them both to last until the end of the series until one finally finished the other off. I thought that was awesome.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was a lot harder to see it coming too. You expected them both to last until the end of the series until one finally finished the other off. I thought that was awesome.
Yea I'd rather have it happen that way too. The characters they introduced later on were annoying. So annoying that I've forgotten their names.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought the story really picked up after L died though. His successors both working together as one to surpass L. That was pretty cool to me. Although it wasn't revealed they were working together until the very end.

But overall, a fantastic series with all great characters, and an awesome ending.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought the story really picked up after L died though. His successors both working together as one to surpass L. That was pretty cool to me. Although it wasn't revealed they were working together until the very end.

But overall, a fantastic series with all great characters, and an awesome ending.
Near was so creepy. Isn't it odd how he resembled L?

I don't know why, but reading it I sympathized with Light rather than L or Near. Probably because it focused on him so much and he seemed such a likable character unlike L (who manages to out-weird everyone I know).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought Light should of won in the end.

If anything cause that would just be a cool last page seeing him lord over the planet.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spoilers (as though it matters): I agree with every decision they made in the storyline, and I thought it ended the only way it could have. L dieing was a surprise that caught the readers by surprise and got people to either completely love or totally hate Light... and though I personally was on Light's side through the whole thing, I feel as though they had to have him lose at the end. They did something similar in Final Fantasy 6, one of my top 5 games of all time, where you fail to save the day half way through the game when you think you're about to confront the final villain, he destroys the world, your team is scattered and you have to regroup in order to finally take him out. It wouldn't have been the epic experience it was if you hadn't lost the first time around, and the victory wouldn't have been so sweet if it wasn't as built up.

People get upset that Light lost but having him win twice would have been redundant. I appreciate that they decided to have him lose due to his overconfidence and reliance on others to do his dirty work rather than simply being outsmarted. In fact, he was the one who outsmarted his opponent, it was only due to the special circumstances generated by the sacrifice of one of his rivals that severed his communication and lead to his ousting. Some people don't appreciate that he freaked out and begged for help at the end but I say he had that coming too. You spend so much time being totally overconfident and perfect only to end up losing everything you have in one brilliant instant and you freak out. It was also a great moment for people who hated Light, as you got to see him totally helpless and hopeless, so it provided some much needed fan service.

One of the best stories I've read and watched the date (I read it, then watched it, then bought merchandise for it).

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, what differences are there between the anime and the manga?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't read it, but as far as I know, the second half of the anime speeds through what the manga had in regards to Mello and Near

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom