Final Fantasy 14

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're way too civil for the internet. Where's the cursing?!

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The inernetz is too predictable nowadays. I work to change that. :p

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well I actually heard this game was rushed for a release, it is so bad as of now that even the Japanese MMOers whined...and that is something to raise your eyebrows for ^^. Square-Enix even begged reviewers to wait about a month before doing what they do because it was in such a bad state. SE wanted to fix and tweak through a patch...but now it's got all of this bad rep and will have a hard time getting people back.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its not bad at all. There are somethings that need changing but thats it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The game has been receiving rather low review scores across the board.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I will say this, the game is for the experienced players in both MMO and RPG.
If you lack either you wont make it in this game at all.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You calling Korean MMO Grinders inexperienced?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There goes 85% of FFXIV's revenue then.
What server did you play on, and what level and rank did you get?
To me, it seems like that guy plays easy mode mmo's. Everything he says about the flaws in the game I can argue with.

Linear story is what helps with the emersion of the story. You don't have to keep track with as many little side stories as most other games throw at you.

Copied terrain. In a game that big it's to be expected. the game is already 15gb launch WITH a 6 gb download. 20 gigs first release, no expansions. With copy terrain it keeps file size down a good amount. If that wasn't there the game would be maybe another 7 gigs easy with how big the world is.

Lack of explaining things in game isn't a problem, everything is actually self explanatory if you, like i said before, have experience with mmo's and rpgs.(and I mean fans, that play the wide variety.) Reason being, if you filter your fan base of the game early on, its easier to work with your community. Look at Blizzard and how they cave in to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that complain because blizzard wants to make all sorts happy at once...

This guy to me seems obviously oblivious to MMO's or he is out to get the mmo. He does nothing but really show the negatives that are based on opinion mostly, and the whole part that he cant find out who he needs to talk to at the leatherworkers guild. To bad he didnt hit the "Map" button right under that quest text he was reading, pinpointing the persons exact location and name.

What else did he talk about... I cant remember whatever else he was talking about, all I heard was whining in the video.

Anyway, I personally am taking notes on pros and cons, and plan on making an unbiased short review soon. But I can say right now, the game has both it's ups and downs.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I actually heard this game was rushed for a release, it is so bad as of now that even the Japanese MMOers whined...and that is something to raise your eyebrows for ^^.
I will say this, the game is for the experienced players in both MMO and RPG.
If you lack either you wont make it in this game at all.
You calling Korean MMO Grinders inexperienced?
Definitely.
There goes 85% of FFXIV's revenue then.
"Since Japanese play a lot of mmos."

You didn't get what i meant did you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got what you ment, your just basing this "asian mmo" as another korean mmo. This game isnt the usual Mob grind fest, there are multiple ways to gain lvls instead of killing mobs and quests.

But you didn't get what I meant though did you.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nope, i did not.

Its just that since majority of eastern mmo players are Japanese, and this is a Japanese mmo, there doesn't seem to be much going on for FF. Ofcourse that might change over the course of its run, but if it doesn't soon, Square may have to take some drastic steps.

Force Pit Member
Best answers

To me, it seems like that guy plays easy mode mmo's. Everything he says about the flaws in the game I can argue with.

Linear story is what helps with the emersion of the story. You don't have to keep track with as many little side stories as most other games throw at you.

Copied terrain. In a game that big it's to be expected. the game is already 15gb launch WITH a 6 gb download. 20 gigs first release, no expansions. With copy terrain it keeps file size down a good amount. If that wasn't there the game would be maybe another 7 gigs easy with how big the world is.

Lack of explaining things in game isn't a problem, everything is actually self explanatory if you, like i said before, have experience with mmo's and rpgs.(and I mean fans, that play the wide variety.) Reason being, if you filter your fan base of the game early on, its easier to work with your community. Look at Blizzard and how they cave in to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that complain because blizzard wants to make all sorts happy at once...

This guy to me seems obviously oblivious to MMO's or he is out to get the mmo. He does nothing but really show the negatives that are based on opinion mostly, and the whole part that he cant find out who he needs to talk to at the leatherworkers guild. To bad he didnt hit the "Map" button right under that quest text he was reading, pinpointing the persons exact location and name.

What else did he talk about... I cant remember whatever else he was talking about, all I heard was whining in the video.

Anyway, I personally am taking notes on pros and cons, and plan on making an unbiased short review soon. But I can say right now, the game has both it's ups and downs.

Not that I care; I don't, but I don't really care how big the file size for a game is; I don't want to play a game where I see the same terrain over and over again. I'd get bored fast. I also don't want a game where a lady bug murders an entire raid of people trying to kill it. I also don't want to spend 45 minutes running to a quest area, completing it in 20 minutes, and then running all the way back. I haven't played any Final Fantasy game, but I have looked into their last mmo, and this one, because one of my friends loves FF, and I try to get into it for him. Unfortunately, after watching the GS review, and the BFF report, I just don't care enough to even bother trying the game out. The GS was nothing but negative comments, and the BFF was essentially the same. If the game was free, and free to play, I'd give it a shot just to see, but I can't justify spending money on it, plus a monthly fee where I am almost positive I'd just feel like I wasted my money.

As for Blizzard 'caving' to every Tom, Dick, and Harry; you clearly don't keep up with the game; I see them shoot things down left and right. And I'm pretty sure the fact that they have 12 million subscribers right now, prior to their most anticipated expansion, means they're doing something right.

I'm not a fan of linear progression. I don't like complete sandbox open-ended games, like Oblivion, either. But I don't want a game where if I don't finish one simple quest, like a trial and error emote quest, I can't continue, that's not fun to me. If a quest frustrates me because I'm too low a level, or can't figure what to do out, which even in WoW I've had problems with, I want to be able to skip it for the time being.

Really, the only part of the game that remotely appealed to me, Guild Wars has already done, and better might I add. The ability to change your class on the fly and mix and match skills is always fun to me, because I can sit down for a while and come up with a very specific build to accomplish a very specific goal.

I'll stick to my "easy mode" mmo's.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nope, i did not.
Don't nark it till you tried it.

It's not the majority, it never is. It's just when there is something that enough people don't like that looks like more people hate than like it, suddenly its everyone that hates it. It's not that everyone hates it, its just enough people are complaining to turn heads. It's always the "haters" that get the attention, because people usually only go out of their way to complain rather than praise.

It's all about what group of people a product is supposed to attract, but theres enough of those people that whine about mostly anything to try and get things changed. It's been done before and it will be done again.

So far I find it a worthy buy, but this is also an opinion.

Not that I care; I don't, but I don't really care how big the file size for a game is; I don't want to play a game where I see the same terrain over and over again. I'd get bored fast. I also don't want a game where a lady bug murders an entire raid of people trying to kill it. I also don't want to spend 45 minutes running to a quest area, completing it in 20 minutes, and then running all the way back. I haven't played any Final Fantasy game, but I have looked into their last mmo, and this one, because one of my friends loves FF, and I try to get into it for him. Unfortunately, after watching the GS review, and the BFF report, I just don't care enough to even bother trying the game out. The GS was nothing but negative comments, and the BFF was essentially the same. If the game was free, and free to play, I'd give it a shot just to see, but I can't justify spending money on it, plus a monthly fee where I am almost positive I'd just feel like I wasted my money.

As for Blizzard 'caving' to every Tom, Dick, and Harry; you clearly don't keep up with the game; I see them shoot things down left and right. And I'm pretty sure the fact that they have 12 million subscribers right now, prior to their most anticipated expansion, means they're doing something right.

I'm not a fan of linear progression. I don't like complete sandbox open-ended games, like Oblivion, either. But I don't want a game where if I don't finish one simple quest, like a trial and error emote quest, I can't continue, that's not fun to me. If a quest frustrates me because I'm too low a level, or can't figure what to do out, which even in WoW I've had problems with, I want to be able to skip it for the time being.

Really, the only part of the game that remotely appealed to me, Guild Wars has already done, and better might I add. The ability to change your class on the fly and mix and match skills is always fun to me, because I can sit down for a while and come up with a very specific build to accomplish a very specific goal.

I'll stick to my "easy mode" mmo's.
Few things here. the lady bug thing. Almost all games start off killing cute cuddly critters and animals that would pose no real threat to a hero.

The terrain, i didn't notice till it was brought up. Things like that you dont notice as much as you think you would.

The travel time. He never used the teleport option once, taking you from camp to camp at any time and any place.

Blizzard caving in to every Tom, Dick and Harry That helped the numbers and most hated change but stayed, simply because there is nothing else better out there after you play it for an extensive amount of time.

The story Line isn't what gives you experience, its the guildleve and leve's. This is essentially your exp gaining "quests". There are plenty to do, and repeatable if you find one you like to do.

BFF seems like a show or podcast, whatever it is, that goes out if their way to find issues, and adress them to the front.(thats what I assume with a name like "Big fat fonys")

Also back to the traveling, all your quests or "leve's" are all near the node you start them at, so You don't spend much time moving around when your doing them... at all.

I'd respond to more of what you pointed out, but my eye is starting to react to the judging through ignorance in this thread. o.<

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, the lady bug thing... I don't know, but I've killed the Lich King. Leader of the undead Scourge who has killed thousands and betrayed the kingdom of Lordaeron. Oh hey Cataclysm, kill some rabbits for me will you? "Yessir".

Brosiris, you're rationalizing gameplay mechanics. I never wonder why my characters don't need bio breaks either. Of course you're gonna be killing "lady bugs", you're working towards bigger things. And then, when you've killed the biggest thing out there... an expansion hits and you're back to lady bugs. It's just how mmo's in general work.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Final Fantasy XIV Online Reviews
IGN ** 5.5 / 10
GameSpy ** 2 / 5
Gametrailers ** 4.2 / 10
Gamespot** 4 / 10
You gotta admit there is something wrong when you see scores like these from major gaming sites.

Well this topic has reached its peak. Those who enjoy, have fun with it. Those who don't, move on.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Yeah, the lady bug thing... I don't know, but I've killed the Lich King. Leader of the undead Scourge who has killed thousands and betrayed the kingdom of Lordaeron. Oh hey Cataclysm, kill some rabbits for me will you? "Yessir".

Brosiris, you're rationalizing gameplay mechanics. I never wonder why my characters don't need bio breaks either. Of course you're gonna be killing "lady bugs", you're working towards bigger things. And then, when you've killed the biggest thing out there... an expansion hits and you're back to lady bugs. It's just how mmo's in general work.

You guys are reading way to into what I'm saying, and you clearly haven't read my post well enough. Watch the BFF reports in it's entirety, if you can't do that, watch the last 10 or 20 seconds of it, so you actually know what I'm talking about. They weren't killing lady bugs, the lady bug was killing an entire raid of people. I'll say it again because no one could read it right the first time, a low level lady bug was one shotting everyone in it's vicinity.

All I'm saying, is if every review site out there is saying how terrible the game is, then it's probably a horrible game. That's their opinion on the matter. That doesn't mean everyone else is going to hate it, but you shouldn't completely disregard what they're saying either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom