Fiber Optic Internet/TV

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone else have it? My friend at work lives near Fairfield Iowa and they got a grant to hook up every single house with Fiber Optic internet. Hes got it and its like insanely, insanely fast. Next month they get fiber optic TV or something.

He told me he downloaded an Aerosmith anthology in like a minute and half. Movies in just a few minutes.

With the phone service and internet it was only like 63 dollars a month.

Anyone else have this service yet?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
63 dollars a month is not a lot for that. I have heard of something like it before in...Swizterland I think. Some ICT guy made this fiber optic cable for his mother, supposedly she had the fastest internet in the world (2GB/sec) and could download an entire DVD in a couple of seconds. Ironic enough, she used all that speed....to read newspapers on the internet.

Best answers
I have optic fiber. I usually download with 3-9 mbps on trackers from my country.

I pay around 10 euros for my net.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my gf's house recently got the hook up, in august everything will be finished and they will have phone/tv and internets at 50 mbits up/dpwn

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He said he got a faster router which helped his internet, its like 100 megabytes/second

I ran that test, is there a decimal involved?

My internet sucks its like, 30kb/s and it said i had like 270 download/170 upload

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's measured in kilobits, not kilobytes, if that helps.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they just started pushing it here, had a play at a web cafe that got hooked up, i was impressed.

Sound Artist
Best answers
ADSL connections also use fiber optics but run it between central offices and fielded equipment. Then use traditional methods to carry the internet to your home, the speed naturally decreases as it travels to your house, otherwise known as attenuation. Fiber optic cabling is extremely expensive so running it to the home must have a huge cost involved. (and is subject to attenuation as well). The ISP i work for has a couple apartments equipped with Ethernet right to the suite, essentially with a huge router in the basement. These lucky bastards have access to 100mbps.

PS. The internet there totally uncapped and unmonitored, yes the apartments are expensive =)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom