Fate of StarCraft: Ghost

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know if anyone has heard this, then again maybe every knows since this news is somewhat old but StarCraft: Ghost has been delayed "indefinitely". Since there was a thread regarding the sequel to Duke Nukem 3D and the current status of the sequel, I figured I make one for the StarCraft sequel since both sequels to both games are in a similiar predictament:

Wikipedia.org said:
Blizzard had been working on a first-person shooter/third-person shooter, StarCraft: Ghost to be released in 2006. It was originally planned on being released in late 2003 but the company that was given the license was scrapped; the change in genre for the franchise from real-time strategy to third-person shooter and absence of a PC version aroused considerable protests among many of the StarCraft faithful, though others eagerly anticipate the game. In March of 2006 StarCraft: Ghost development was put on hold indefinitely, leaving the future of the franchise unknown.
Further evidence (Recent screenshot of Blizzard's official site):

There used to be a link that took you to the StarCraft: Ghost page in the games drop-down list, but it has been removed.

Screen shot of the official Blizzard site in 2003 (www.archive.org):

You can clearly see the StarCraft: Ghost logo to the right and the like under the games drop-down list.

So what's everyones thoughts on this?

Personally, I saw it coming due to Blizzard constantly changing development teams for this project, and having to revise the whole game, not to mention the constant delays (all of this is very similiar to the Duke Nukem: Forever situation).

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently, the main character 'Nova?' got pregnant.
So she quit, or retired with the cash from the pre-order's that she received to be more exact.
Crappy eh?...

Hm, seem's they just lost interest I guess, I thought they had a working playable demo at the.. WoW.. Player... meet player thing over at uh Cali?

Best answers
Wasn't this game supposed to be made.. oh say.. years and years ago?

It doesn't surprise me one bit. Up until recently I forgot it was even in production.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The vaporware finally evaporated.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it just means they dont know when they will return working on it. it didnt say canceled.

that sucks though.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They probably aren't going back to it (or at least they probably aren't going back to the original concept). World of Warcraft is in Blizzards minds more than anything else right now, and considering how it's extremely popular, they might not revisit StarCraft. Blizzard weren't the ones developing StarCraft: Ghost, they simply just gave the project to a development team to work with.

Best answers
They delayed it because they finally realised how outdated their work was.. If they did release it now, it would have been about 2-3 years behind on the current technology..

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Give us World of Starcraft. I guarantee it will be a hit.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSFT said:
Give us World of Starcraft. I guarantee it will be a hit.
Or a legitimate SC2. Not like I could run it though. Still, had no desire to play SC: Ghost.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they said something about possibly making another version fo the next gen consoles.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's ridiculous to think they cancelled it for any other reason then the fact that they're horrendously busy right now. Even besides that--handing off the Starcraft license to another developer only to have them waltz along and give you back some crap MGS knockoff where they spent more time on the main model's buttocks then the game, that doesn't seem like something Blizz would let fly. My belief is that the third party developers just made ****ty mediocre incarnations of the game (the last revamp saw a considerable loss in graphical quality, if you ask me) and Blizzard was like "You know what, we'll just handle it ourselves once we've got this WoW thing back under control."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom