Fallout 3

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You ****s haven't created a thread about this yet?!

So who's getting this / who has this? Game Fly just shipped this game for me, it should arrive in a couple of days!

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You ****s haven't created a thread about this yet?!
Forum is dead / dying / whatever;

@topic

Already have it on steam, it's as **** as I thought it would be.

jkjkjkjkjkjk

(it's not unlocked yet)

Hmmm should be ok I suppose. I am expecting it to be as bad as oblivion though.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pre-ordered my Vault-Tec lunchbox. Picking it up on the 30th hopefully (Europe >_>). My store had better not hold it back until the 31st or I will raise hell. And more.

Been waiting for this game for 10 years. And according to IGN it's everything we hoped for. It got a 96. :O

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmm should be ok I suppose. I am expecting it to be as bad as oblivion though.
That begs the question of why you'd pick up an open-ended action RPG made by the same company who also made an open-ended action RPG you, apparently, didn't enjoy.

I picked it up about 5 hours ago, and I must have played it for about 3 hours straight. Very absorbing; I don't generally play any game, regardless of how well done, for longer than an hour or two. The game also seems to run a lot better than Oblivion for me, which is a real bonus as the game looks like something that would cause some stutter for me.

Performance and looks aside, the game has quite an absorbing atmosphere and feel to it; if I ever wondered what the world would feel like after some horrible atomic dawn, my curiosity has been answered (and then some)! The feeling of people just doing whatever they can to get by is very pervasive in the very little bit of the game I've seen, and this is compounded by there being enemies around that, most assuredly, will rip you asunder (either with their bare hands or with sheer firepower), despite any prowess you may have presumed to have with other enemies in areas more appropriate to starting out.

I can't comment, yet, as to the depth and quality of the story, as I've only advanced the "main" quest a little. However, the general feel of how the world works and how people are coping comes through wonderfully in the writing.

The combat is a lot more involved, imo, than anything you'd ever see in Oblivion. Hacking-and-slashing (and, now, running-and-gunning) just won't get things done for you - at least not starting out. Enemies relentlessly pursuing you will almost demand that you use the VATS feature to take their legs out (or try desperately to do so), while enemies packing mini-guns beg to have their arms gruesomely torn off by precise pistol or rifle shots. I was also very satisfied when a mole rat charged me, and a well-time VATS-assisted shot to its head sent the animal flying back, mid-lunge, without its head. My inner sadist was quite tickled.

At the end of the day, though, you really need to be a fan of the open-ended part of the game, as the first thing that hit me when I tried to do my first side-quest was a feeling of being completely lost in the very vast wasteland put in front of me (I was sufficiently more overwhelmed here than I was by Oblivion or Morrowind). If that feature of Oblivion or Morrowind was something of a turn-off for you, then you might be wise to look elsewhere.

Thoroughly enjoyable, though. I still need to get a feel for melee combat (as I've tended to exhaust my ammunition with all available expedience) and really need to gather up the scratch to get either a lot of ammo or a really decent firearm. I also need to read into the perks, SPECIAL system, and skills a bit further before my character really gets focused on specific combat and social roles. I look forward to learning all of the ins and outs.

I'm sure someone will complain about the animations, though. Like Oblivion's, they tend to be on the more... wooden side. I'm willing to forgive that, though, in the face of otherwise awesome presentation, amazing depth, and great gameplay.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That begs the question of why you'd pick up an open-ended action RPG made by the same company who also made an open-ended action RPG you, apparently, didn't enjoy.
Because I'm bored...?

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because I'm bored...?
Get a woman :laff: . Sorry off the topic i know, but i couldt resist.

As for the game I will not buy it because I would problably be playing it for days and that would be bad...

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I just got this game, and it has consumed my soul. So far, it is amazing.

The beginning was extremely epic (the part where you escape from the vault).

Although I never beat Oblivion, I rarely got bored of it. Why? Because it is endlessly entertaining to constantly murder and attack random people in town. Thankfully, you're able to do the same in Fallout 3. I will rarely get bored of this game. The combat is way more better than Oblivion's. Of course, using VATS is also endlessly entertaining.

If you're evil, you're more of a badass than you were in Oblivion, in my honest opinion. When you enter the first town, you could go against the Sheriff and his guards 30 seconds after you meet him. Of course, that's a bad idea when you barely have any armor and decent weapons (I learned that the hard way). Once you receive your first weapon, you're able to cut straight to the action. Although you're unable to kill anyone until you're 19, you can attack anybody with the BB gun.

Sadly, the animations aren't the best. In my honest opinion, they could better. But hey, this game is still epic.

In my books, this is the Game of the Year.

And yes, I actually managed to get away from the game to write this post.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not a bad game, still has some of the obvious flaws from oblivion, silly animations and npcs that act a little brain damaged. Other than that, environments look excellent, the grass and other vegetation look amazing with higher levels of AA.

I'll probably get through this it's pretty gripping when you get past the flaws.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just finished the main quest after 28 hours of playing. Reloaded, checked my map... not even seen half of it.

I love this game. VATS is crazy. o/

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is this just a sandbox game then really? I mean, does it suffer from the same problem TES games do where once you're half way decently geared/leveled you pretty much can take on anything? I hate it when there's nothing you can pwn, and nothing you have to run away from, makes the entire point of leveling something of a gimmick.

I played it for about 1 hour round my mates, if it's not like oblivion I might get it, but from playing it just a little, seemed very... oblivion like. I liked oblivion dont get me wrong, I just found it extremely repetative and bland (for reasons stated above).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Leveling in Fallout is not done by repeating the same action like in TES games. I don't bunny hop 46 miles in this one in order to gain a level. Thank Jesus for that, by the way.

The way F3 differentiates from Oblivion mainly is because of perks. Every level you get access to a list of perks which unlock things like increased accuracy for one handed or two handed weapons, increased damage resistance, or even freaky ones like allowing you to feed off of corpses in order to regain health.

So yes, by switching out perks alone you can make numerous different characters alone, not like Oblivion where any character you made would end up having high acrobatics or whatever, just because you have to run around a lot.

The map is another good thing. While I think it's a little smaller than Oblivion's, it's much more detailed and there's a lot more exploration to do. I even found a crashed UFO in a very obvious nod to the original Fallout. You don't see copy-pasted meadows in this one, or at least you won't notice them because of how everything looks. Even in the 360 version, the draw distance is so insane that I can literally see Tenpenny Tower from the exit of Vault 101. That's about... I dunno, 15 to 20 minutes of non-stop running away.

I think Bethesda outdid themselves on this one, and I also think it's about as good a 3d adaptation of one of the best role playing games ever made can be.

*sips some Quantum Nuka-Cola*

Best answers
Did anyone blow up Megaton? I'm gonna do it, and i know i get the tenpenny suite from it because i saved and then re-loaded lol. But I'm asking if anyone else did it because I wanna know if tenpenny does anything else for you after giving you the suite? Because if he doesn't, I'm gonna have to kill him =\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom