Fallout 3 banned in Australia

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kotaku said:
And by "refused classification", we really mean banned, since without classification it's illegal for retailers to sell the game in Australia. In an unsurprising move, the Australian Office of Film & Literature Classification have, hands bound once again by Australia's refusal to allow games to be rated R18+, deemed elements of Bethesda's upcoming RPG a little bit much. There's no word yet on just what the board found unsuitable, but seeing as the game involves drug use (Blitz) and extreme gore (Soldier of Fortune) - two things games have previously been refused classification for - you could probably take your pick.
Source:http://kotaku.com/5023253/fallout-3-refused-classification-in-australia
Good thing I'm in europe, but this really sucks for australian gamers.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Australia is a civilized democracy, it's a shame that the government feels it needs to turn to censorship.

I'm sorry, but freedom of speech > whatever unproven negative affects they fear this stuff will have on the children.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Marijuana is illegal in most of the world, plus cops are actively looking for it. When was the last time a cop raided a house because they were suspected to own a videogame?

If people can't get it through importing, they'll get it through torrents.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Marijuana is illegal in most of the world, plus cops are actively looking for it. When was the last time a cop raided a house because they were suspected to own a videogame?
^ This.

Your comment is silly, Lionheart. Yes, importing it might be the only way to get your hands on it so I recommend all you Aussies to do just that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How would importing be difficult? It's illegal for retailers to sell the game, not illegal to own it as far as I know.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

SoF 3 was banned
Talk of banning GTA4

Other games banned

Aus censors suck big fat ****s

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess now aussies will turn into pirates... ^yarr!!!!!!11

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Omgomgomgogmogm Warreezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Close This Threeeeeeeeeeadddd Nowwwwwwwwww

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Stop mistreating the English language like it's a prisoner at Guantanamo Bay. -.-

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
okay okay, when a GOVERNMENT makes a VIDEO GAME ILLEGAL,,, you KNOW something is up either with the GOV or the PEOPLES following the GOV..

maybe both o_O why would they do this

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can understand how the government is justifying this, the old classic "videogames makes kids violent and shoot people" but until that is a proven fact, I find this ridiculous. There's a reason these games are rated. If it gets an MA-17 rating or something similiar, it should be the retailers' responsibility to actually enforce these ratings. Instead of just selling them to any kid who walks in with his piggy bank.

Best answers
Well, at least I won't kill myself from Warcraft

But ...I guess you could always download the game? And play it through one of those lan clients?. But it won't be the same *Sigh*

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can understand how the government is justifying this, the old classic "videogames makes kids violent and shoot people" but until that is a proven fact, I find this ridiculous. There's a reason these games are rated. If it gets an MA-17 rating or something similiar, it should be the retailers' responsibility to actually enforce these ratings. Instead of just selling them to any kid who walks in with his piggy bank.
It isn't the retailers responsibility to babysit kids. The buck shouldn't be passed onto them just because parents are unwilling to, you know, parent.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well if I take my money to a store when my parents aren't there, who's going to stop me from buying it?

I agree that parents shouldn't be neglecting to check up on what their kids play, but they can't stop you from buying it behind their backs. That's what I meant.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm a business. My goal is to make money. Do you have money? I'd like to have that money. What can I do to get you to give me your money? Word? You want this game? Coolio. Thanks. I have your money. I want someone else's money now.

That's what businesses do. They aren't a daycare center. If your kids are going behind your back to buy a game that the government says they aren't ready for, that's on the parents. If you're not a deadbeat, you'll realize your kid is playing "SLAUGHTERHOUSE 12: RAPING YOUR ORGANS TO THE MAXXXX" and they'll return the game and get the kids money back. If they're overly zealous, they'll give the guy in the store a picture and ask him to ban the kid from the store. Parents have many options when it comes to their children. They can either treat them like 4 year olds until they go to university, they can treat them like mature individuals and teach them the different between right and wrong, reality and fiction, they can vote out the morons banning games, and so on and so forth. It lies in their hands. No one but the parents should be parenting. The government shouldn't have a say in this kind of thing whatsoever.

That's just how I view it anyway. I'm all about personal accountability, though, which is something most people seem to abhor nowadays.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom