Extreme lag on servers.

Best answers
I am using steam, and ESF version 1.2.3.
Not using any addons. ESF added onto half-life.
Yes i am behind a router, and no i turned my firewall off just in case.
My drivers have been recently updated. Open GL is the video mode i am using i believe. I do not get any error messages.

Alright, my problem is with getting around 1000-2000 ping on servers that i play on. I am from New Zealand, play on 256k, and the servers that are avaliable closest to me are in Australia. So yes the thought of that did occur to me that it may just be the distance, but hear me out none the less.
When I load the servers I basically cannot move. The odd thing is, that i can see everyone else running around and fighting completly normally.
I can make my own internet server and have people join it with moderate pings.
I have tried the tweaks and advice from the other threads, but nothing seems to work.

I have no idea what to do, if there is anything that can be done.
The only conclusion I can come to is that it is something to do with my computer/net's way of handling international servers.

If you have any idea what may be wrong I'm here with open ears, and any extra info you need.

(Just as an extra whenever I make a server I cannot seem to change from team mode)

Thanks for your time!
Agent

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the only aus server at the moment is crap anyway, we will lag at times on it too (but not as badly as you =P). It would probably be due to this.

Best answers
i play with others from new zealand, they can get around 80-100 ping.

EDIT: i also get this ping for EVERY server i play on, not just that one

zAS

Best answers
I have tried the tweaks and advice from the other threads, but nothing seems to work.
Can you tell me what they are? Recently my ping is higher than normal...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First off, try not to double post- Admins don't like it.

As for your problem. It could be a number of things. Your computer could be crap. Adware spyware, virus, 256k isn't the best internet connection either. For example. I have 4mb/s So I can play in servers on the other side of the US and get 50 ping. My best guess is it's your internet connection. There really isn't anything any of us can do.

Best answers
yeah sorry about the double post, but if i had edited it it wouldn't have said "new post in this thread blah blah".
yeah it must be my connection, or my connection with steam. but it's not general lag. i've been able to play on aussie servers in the past with 140 ping. although that's not ideal, it's better than 2000. i was just wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or any idea what it could be, thanks anyway.

zAS

Best answers
yeah sorry about the double post, but if i had edited it it wouldn't have said "new post in this thread blah blah".
That's exactly what they don't want, they are aware that this thread exists, so no need to remind them.

About your problem... as Fire Phoenix said, it's basically cus of your connection. 256k is quite low these days, I sometimes play at 150+ ping with my 1mb connection (over 200 ping is unplayable) so I can only imagine for yourself.

Best answers
it's not the fact that my net is just that slow, i assure you. i have had pings of 120-150 on these severs before, something has gone wrong. i now know it's not a problem with esf, may be something with steam. thanks anyway.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're 120-150 ping; is this on ESF or another game? Because if previously had it on ESF then it's not your internet connection. Try Turning off the computer and your internet for a while. I've seen my ping spike to 500+ and I have a 4mb connection. I don't know why though. I'd say it's because of steam. Or something. Usually restarting my comnputer, or turning everthing off for a while works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom