EVE Online Politics

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/62818

Didn't play Eve for very long but I'm very interested in the politics in that game and also in the drama started by the basic human nature in a virtual environment such as Eve.

Discuss and if any of you guys know more about this scandal, by all means please post and share it with us.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
:-\ I don't get it. really, I don't.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basiclly one of the directors of BoB defected and handed over the keys to the alliance forums and director access for the alliance to goonsquad. result? corperate banks emptied in a massive smash and grab consisting of entire fleets of ships and insane amounts of fuel plundered, roughly 6 billion isk and a load of other assets.

But the real thing? being a director, they could disband the entire alliance. so they did. perfectly timed just before downtime so they couldnt revive it, they lost the name (goonsquad capped the name after disbanding) and with the loss of the aliiance goes all the alliance assets (the jump gates etc etc) thowing all the corps under it into dissaray.

As most of the alliance ended up going "WTF?" and make a dash for the bases to recollect there assets, goonsquad set up some nice ambushes and wiped out an impressive amount of ships to add insult to injury

Result? about $3000 worth of assets, thousands of peoples efforts over the years, the second biggest alliance and the only real opposition to goonsquad wiped off the map.

So yeah, another year of eve drama, its like watching eastenders!

EDIT: there still at it, they've purged all the wiki's of all the BoB info and planning to publish all the forums, lol!

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I don't like EvE to be honest. My brothers plays it for years though. It takes forever to upgrade your stuff and you need a lot of patience to get quite a bit of money.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
EVE Online's mechanics are crazy. I read a story about a guy who basically scammed a bunch of people, collecting money to buy some sort of really really expensive blueprint for a ship, claiming he would share the information with everyone so they could also build it.

In the end he took the money and ran, and it was a huge amount for that game. The GMs found out and considered it fair play, that it was the players faults for letting themselves be scammed.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
In the end he took the money and ran, and it was a huge amount for that game. The GMs found out and considered it fair play, that it was the players faults for letting themselves be scammed.
That's quite lame. GM's not doing anything about it? What kind of GM's are they? I'd never play EvE, ever.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I guess if you believe every little thing told to you then you will end up hurt.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, the idea of EVE is that the players can do whatever they want, attack whatever, or whomever they want regardless of allegiance. It's supposed to be as close to a living world as possible (if people were ships, and not people). Being able to attack anyone, leaving no real restrictions means that people can do creative and dastardly things like ransom corporation members by destroying their ships and threatening to pod-kill them, racketeering in some cases, hold up a smaller ship and threaten to destroy them if they don't pay a large sum of isk, and then destroy them anyway and salvage their cargo and wreck.

It's about as close to real as you can get, except it's worse, because people are a lot more flippant about getting their ship destroyed and getting killed than they would if it were real.

So if you get scammed, well, that's something people in real life do. EVE is cutthroat and treacherous. I've long given up playing it. Too much work that takes too long for you to simply lose it all in an ambush. But it makes for a damn interesting spectator sport on the global scale.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know those MMOs where you think you make a difference in their world? Even those that are touted as true and a feature? Well, in EVE it's actually true.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Bah, the forums mentioning ruined it for me.

I don't know EvE much, only that it is sci fi MMO.

When they mention the forums I was like, "oh right it is a video game" but the other things, like that he disbanded it, that is just pure genius.

Seriously, it can happen even in our lifes, I will give you a small example: You trust someone so much you give him the code to your safe, assuming he fooled you, he will rob you.

I don't know if it is possible in Eve - but if there is some kind of police and law court they could continue it in roleplay, getting him and judging him.

BTW, did he meant to do it in a RP way, or "I wanna kill there forums and organization out of character"

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember when I heard about Eve for the first time was a couple years ago who worked for the company that made it in advertising or something like that. He said that there was one guy who spent a couple years getting close to one guy/a whole company/guild whatever they're called and completely screwed him over. He spent multiple years of his life to screw someone over in a video game. Kind of sad if you ask me.

Best answers
That's quite lame. GM's not doing anything about it? What kind of GM's are they?
Thats nothing compared to Starwars Galaxies GM's m8. You write a Ticket, a week later they come at you and then its worthless.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's no comparison. There's nothing wrong with scamming someone out of ingame money in a game like EVE. It really is all fair game. It's supposed to be a real living, breathing world. You're supposed to be able to do whatever the hell you want. I would love EVE if I had the patience for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom