ESF vs DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi

Best answers
I just want to know if the ESF staff know that the gameplay of DBZ : BT had been copied on ESF. But developers of DBZ don't notify that could be inspired on. What players and developers think about it ???

PS : I'm french so don't care about my english (test)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you saying we copied them or they copied us? Though I haven't played the other DBZ console games so I'm probably not the best person to answer this question.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SuXiNeTTe said:
I just want to know if the ESF staff know that the gameplay of DBZ : BT had been copied on ESF. But developers of DBZ don't notify that could be inspired on. What players and developers think about it ???

ESF has been around before the Budokai series... If you meant the other way around that the Budokai series copied ESF, then that is highly unlikely.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF did not copy Budokai Tenkaichi because ESF has been around much longer.

It's just a coincidence.

Plus, they aren't even that much alike. =/

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
SuXiNeTTe said:

Actually, I think he is saying that Budokai copied ESF.

1st Sentence: I want to know if the ESF staff know that DBZ: BT copied the gameplay of ESF.
2nd Sentence: The developers of DBZ don't say what inspired the gameplay.
3rd Sentence: What do players and developers think about this?

It's just the differences in how the two languages set up their sentences that leads to him getting a bit confused. Of course, if I'm wrong then I'm just an idiot. :D

Anyways, to try and answer it. I don't think DBZ: BT copied ESF. Since both games are based of DBZ, the animation, which involves a lot of 'free' flying about during battles it's only natural that two developers would, eventually, come up with the same idea.

ESF is quite popular, for a HL Mod, but I doubt the big companies are paying that much attention. And, if they had pointed out that similar contact works in regards to ESF, its really more flattering than anything else.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Agreed. I saw Tenkaichi and its gameplay is totaly difrent than ESF.

Gameplay whise ESF owns Tenkaichi. But the graphics are better in Budokai ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even IF any commercial game was inspired by ESF, they would never admit it.

Because then people would go out and try to find ESF. ESF, being free, would become much more popular, and they would lose money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF was out before Tenkaichi even started, Atari and Bandai probrobly does not even know that ESF exists, so how could either one of us copy a gaming factor, both of the games are nothing alike.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
maybe they just get some ideeas from ESF but they did not copy anything they just got some ideeas

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really think some of the aspects in BT have been inspired by ESF.

What would you do, before creating a game? That's gathering information for reference. In this case, the makers of BT might have come across our website and found ESF.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Atari and Bandai probrobly does not even know that ESF exists
Dont be so sure about that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I'm sure SV can tell us how 'unknown' these mods are.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tenkaichi not so much, but Tenkaichi 2 does seem to have a few ESF-inspired touches, such as being able to charge and steer beams, and the punch-tele/swoop-punch combo.

They both play quite differently though (Tenkaichi 1 and ESF), they're not as comparable as, say, Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi.

Best answers
Does Budokay 3 is more popular than esf ? or more great at the gameplay [not a graphic fan so ] please answer this :] i argued with 1 of my friends who says esf and dbz sux .... and i think i'm gonna kick his ass =))

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I prefer esf, mainly becuase it is better in terms as far as playing a 3d fighter goes. Also, it's on a pc for one and I don't like playing many console games these days (heck, I don't even own a ps2).

Although The Whole Budokai series is pretty wacky in it's own way and I can enjoy it, I prefer esf over it mainly due to the fighting system, rather then 100+ moves in Budokai and the controller combinations for them (heh, DMZ is sought of like Budokai in that aspect having to use a combination of keys to do some attacks). So you can see, using DMZ as an example to why I don't like it as far as a 3d fighter goes. Sure, using button combinations is great, and can be done a little bit on a keyboard, but it becomes much easier to do on a controller, and that's why I'll leave that style of fighting through the budokai series to the console.

Another thing to also add is that esf is free (as lnog as you own half-life, which isn't very expensive at all these days), and you can expect to find people pllaying it online to paly with where as budokai games don't yet have the feature to paly against others, you could only play with friends and your friend might be a n00b at palying budokai or not very good at playing it, in esf it's a different story altogether. If you find someone to fight on a simlar skill level to you the fight is a nice challenge, and I also consider Budokai to be more complex to learn becuase of the control system.

I think I jsut summed up about what I think on this subject.

Best answers
Well BT in graphics beats ESF and in gameplay i donoo! I really wanted 2 ask th eSF team if they could make ESF Melee like the following: MouseClick1 Punch , Mouse Clik2 KIck, and make combos like in the budokai and not the least the punches should go a little faster cause i dont want to sleep while playing LOL:)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cloud[ESW] said:
Well BT in graphics beats ESF and in gameplay i donoo! I really wanted 2 ask th eSF team if they could make ESF Melee like the following: MouseClick1 Punch , Mouse Clik2 KIck, and make combos like in the budokai and not the least the punches should go a little faster cause i dont want to sleep while playing LOL:)
All i say is ping difrence. Play the alpha it was like that. Well similar ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing that these both have incommon is free roaming >_>

P.S. Cloud your sig is over the forums limit -.-

Best answers
I know this is offtopic !!Could someone test a PS2 Emulator withh Budokai3!! it would help a lot + the ESF team would have a lot of new ideas and models,sounds and other things

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom