ESF + VAC2 = ...huh?

Best answers
From www.planethalflife.com there was a new update for steam released yesterday, stating:

Half-Life 1: Engine

Servers will default to starting up using VAC2

That was the first bullet. Does that mean its mod supported? And if it is, will ESF be using Valve Anti Cheat to put an end to AIMBOT and half-life crash scripts?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it's possible I'm sure it's going to happen. I mean... Why not?

Best answers
Before the ESF team said that VAC didn't support Half-Life mods. But, it looks like it does now.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So that's what they were tinkering around with? If it brings this, then that's good, I guess.

And in light of this big script debate, I remembered NS having some kind of script-protection. I tried running a simple alias while in NS, and indeed, it didn't allow me to. I tried on various servers, and almost every one ignored any keys I had bound to aliases.

I'm not sure, but I think it's included default in the NS installation. If that's true, it could easily be added to the ESF installation so it'd be completely transparent to the user.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
So that's what they were tinkering around with? If it brings this, then that's good, I guess.

And in light of this big script debate, I remembered NS having some kind of script-protection. I tried running a simple alias while in NS, and indeed, it didn't allow me to. I tried on various servers, and almost every one ignored any keys I had bound to aliases.

I'm not sure, but I think it's included default in the NS installation. If that's true, it could easily be added to the ESF installation so it'd be completely transparent to the user.
No, people had complained a lot about script use in NS, so the creators put a command to stop scripts. It's was like mp_blockscripts or something.

I, too, hope the VAC2 supports HL mods.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
No, people had complained a lot about script use in NS, so the creators put a command to stop scripts. It's was like mp_blockscripts or something.

I, too, hope the VAC2 supports HL mods.
So why can't the ESF team do the same?

And yeah, it would be great if VAC2 supported mods.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've talked to them about it, but it seems none of them have any idea how the NS team was able to accomplish it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vac Does now work with Half-life mods and ESF I went and tested it myself, and it works.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sarutobi Sensei said:
What did you test that works?
anti-Hack. Once esf starts up, it instantly shuts down, did it about 5 times then turned off the hack and it works fine.

Edit: due note i dont hack. >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hacks and scripts are different, did you try running a script?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Hacks and scripts are different, did you try running a script?
i know hacks and scripts are different, but there really nothing vac can do about scripting seing that its just a strand of commands usually in one button.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ermmm i have heared somewhere that vac doesnt allow you to change models and all (as it could be used for cheating i suppose (making super larger models so you can find the enemy easier?)) though im not sure...

Best answers
To get your half-life dedicated server to have vac2 you must run the hldsupdate tool.

And yes VAC2 supports 3rd party mods I enabled it on my esf server and its vac secured.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
now people can no longer scream in a server "OMG U DAM CHEATER" or "OMG YOU STUPID HAXOR STOP CHEATING" or any other line you could imagine that involves that.

Best answers
DragonDude said:

Just had to go test this myself because I didn't think it was even possible on this engine. I'll be damned though I wrote up a simple script and when I went to use it I got a big message center screen "This server does not allow scripts"...Hats off to the ns team on that one. Now if the esf team can pull off the same thing...hopefully it isn't something easily bypassed though.

Edit: nevermind they didnt stop scripts they just stopped scripts with certain commands and there are already work arounds.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anything can be bypassed, you just have to know how it works inside and out. VAC2 does have some script banning only for very specific things, which I forgot which commands. I know if you tie a script to an .exe it will result in a ban, though I remember there being others...

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I doubt VAC2 will be for mods that VALVe doesn't own because that would be a pain in the rear to keep up with all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom