ESF v1.2.3 Protocol Crash

Best answers
Whenever I connect to a server, I instantly disconnect with the error of having the incorrect game protocol ("48" instead of "47"). It's my understanding that this was very common with the previous Steam Update a few months ago which almost killed the entire mod community single-handedly, but I would have thought this fixed automatically or something.

Is there something that I myself have to do to the game to make it work?

Also, I've only connected to one server, "[ESF]4fun[RO]" at 79.118.254.69:27015. This is because I'm unfortunately VAC-Banned and have been for two years now since the Bloom incident, and there's not a large amount of un-VAC'd servers for this mod. Is this an issue unique to perhaps just this server?

Let me know, and thanks in advance. Love the mod, used to play it a lot. Shame if I can't now =\

Edit - Just tried a random server that I found which wasn't VAC'd - No go. Same problem, so it isn't just the server I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try forcung STEAM to update.

So go to your steam directory and delete clientregistry.blob then turn STEAM on.

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
It means the server you're trying to connect with either has not updated their version of steam, or it is running non-steam. The new steam updated stopped regular steam clients from connecting to non-steam servers by updating the protocal. I assume they're aiming at stopping the non-steam community.

Busy Busy Busy
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting. Thanks for the insight. :yes:

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's actually a server-side problem. this was just the release of the new server version, which btw. fixes a lot of errors, so thank god we finaly got it since it has been out for CS for quite a while. The specific server admin has to update his server to the new protocol version which has been out for about two month now. People should really read the changelogs. Buthere's what u do. The admin should catch the steamtool use it to update his server and make sure he has the appid.txt file in the ESF Dir.

Best answers
it's actually a server-side problem. this was just the release of the new server version, which btw. fixes a lot of errors, so thank god we finaly got it since it has been out for CS for quite a while. The specific server admin has to update his server to the new protocol version which has been out for about two month now. People should really read the changelogs. Buthere's what u do. The admin should catch the steamtool use it to update his server and make sure he has the appid.txt file in the ESF Dir.
So basically everyone's slow? =P

Damn, that sucks then. Are all the un-VAC'd servers the proper version? 'cause if they are, then, that's unlucky for me. Guess I'm stuck playing BOTS on my own LAN server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom