ESF / Semi-Realistic Texturing advice??

Best answers
I've used your search to look up tutorials or past threads/post about this issue, some are way to old and links are broken, or i'm blind and just can't look in the right place. The ESF style and other texture artist as Enix / GodGundamn both texture the way that catches my eye. Are there any new links of tutorials in that manor of style ? If so could you please point me in the right direction ? Im currently just breaking into the texturing scene and have all the software and basic knowledge to advance myself, just need a little jump start in the right direction on some artist tips / advice, and again sorry for making another thread if already repeated, but I did use the search feature.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think these guys are pretty much the Half-life Kings right now and came up with a Unique way of this stuff. Never seen anyone else using XML files and such for all of their stuff, but I don't know about that. I know there are tutorials on the Mapping and such they will be using.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hes talking about model textures, not game modding >.<

Leave the XMLs out of that.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would prolly start with a good UV map and try to get as much on a single material as possible ( performance reasons ) if u did a proper setup you can try doing an AO bake and go from there, don't do too much diffuse shading yourself, but not too less either, you gotta figure out what looks good with your model, since we do have a real time lighting renderer for models it also depends on your mesh complexity. Specific highlights can also be set by a specular map. I guess you could show your progress in a thread and I'm sure ppl will try to guide you from there and give u better tips if you give them a specific example that you are working on.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GodGundamn! Teach me how to skin too. D:

Best answers
I don't know much about a AO bake, so if you can go into a little more detail that be great, ( ill prob look it up google is your friend ) I started this model for a simple texture class I can show what I had but I didn't make it from scratch it was put together using different textures i would edit from the net " fabrics " to look like it was pieced together from other stuff animals but I want a animeish / ESF type style of going about texturing this model. I included renders of the Concept drawings, textured version simply just putting different fabrics together. Then a jpeg of the UV map and a normal render flat shade + wireframe. If you guys can help me out with texturing tips and advice that would be great, I will keep on trying.

Attachments

Best answers
I practiced the AO bake a little, im guessing thats all different layers to a texture map correct? That adds a lot of new detail to the model even when its just the plain white texture its awesome, is it almost like a clay render? Anyways this is the render shot that I did with my texture, you will notice around the neck area there is a texture flaw, not sure how to fix that its just cause i put a turbo smooth on it literation 1.

Let me know what you think and what else I can do.

Attachments

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

i did this by blocking out the muscle groups using 2 shades of grey, then using the smudge tool to refine it, easy peasy.
then I just overlayed the color of choice, I think it turned out alright. *But admittedly Im no enix

(the red and rellow parts were never finished)

Best answers
Can you show me the original layer that you worked on, you said it was just 2 shades of grey than another layer with the main color you wanted?

Just a tad bit confused :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom