ESF release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
餓Ghoul鬼
Discord Member
Best answers
Hello guys, i created this post because i want to ask you when will be released this game? I played 7 years ago, when i was a child and i have a passion for anime. Can you response me?
Also, who will be hosted the first servers?

There is no hope. No light. There is only despair.
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Hello guys, i created this post because i want to ask you when will be released this game? I played 7 years ago, when i was a child and i have a passion for anime. Can you response me?
Also, who will be hosted the first servers?
It will be released when it's done, unknown who'll host the first server

AlysonDB
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I will definitely create the server as soon as release it.
my doubt is what is the recommended limit players?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Bigger maps, so plenty of play ground. But the max players a server can hold is still 32.

餓Ghoul鬼
Discord Member
Best answers
I will definitely create the server as soon as release it.
my doubt is what is the recommended limit players?
The problem of Half Life is this limit of slots (32)
Also are you from Europa? I think that will be a problem because people from all over the world know this game and will be neccesary an host in every continent.

dbz is better than naruto lol
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
32 slots are fine, this mod's community is kind of dead already

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Well. It's officially 20 years since I first started playing this mod. (Alpha was around 2001 if I remember correctly.)
Been a forum member for most of that...

And ESF 1.2.3 got released a good 15+ years ago. (2005 maybe?)

The main page doesn't seem to get updated often, so I don't visit often, was hoping for a Christmas/New Years post or something on the main page, but nothing.

Forums seem pretty dead.

I think after all these decades, if there isn't a playable build, we might as well assume it's a dead project at this point, it might as well be the next Duke Nukem forever. 😂
But it was a fun ride I guess.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Same for me, its should be over 18 years now.
Im 31 next week..lol

3D Modeler
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Happens when there are too few developers to work on the project. Takes longer.

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Happens when there are too few developers to work on the project. Takes longer.
The thing is, they never actually accepted any help.
In around early 2012~ I offered my help, which they declined as I was not good enough in programming(that's fine I guess, but when you have the willing to help, you could possibly do small stuff that gets no attention).
In around 2017 I offered my help again, but this time they said that until I'll learn this huge project there is no point in joining.
Well, here we are.....tbh, I lost the believe that this project will ever be released.

They should've just make it open source years ago for more people to help, get bigger community, more people, more help, etc.

Zzz
👑 Administrator
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💠 Sūpā Légéñdārý
Best answers
In around early 2012~ I offered my help, which they declined as I was not good enough in programming(that's fine I guess, but when you have the willing to help, you could possibly do small stuff that gets no attention).
In around 2017 I offered my help again, but this time they said that until I'll learn this huge project there is no point in joining.
Well, here we are.....tbh, I lost the believe that this project will ever be released.

They should've just make it open source years ago for more people to help, get bigger community, more people, more help, etc.
First off this is a over a year old Topic so why are you reviving it again, Second off we always accept help if you were rejected the first two times that means you were unable to do the tasks you were given as our Project is coded in a specific way that takes time to learn we are still working on the project at the end of the day its still a fan project so our personal lifes come always first, Open source is the biggest mistake one can make just look at zeq2 it was never finished by the community instead modded to hell that anybody lost interest in it

If you truly wish to still "help" as you claim then reach out for us in Discord maybe another task can be given and if you can't meet that one well then theres your own point why you aren't part of the team.

With that.. My Regards.

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
First off this is a over a year old Topic so why are you reviving it again, Second off we always accept help if you were rejected the first two times that means you were unable to do the tasks you were given as our Project is coded in a specific way that takes time to learn we are still working on the project at the end of the day its still a fan project so our personal lifes come always first, Open source is the biggest mistake one can make just look at zeq2 it was never finished by the community instead modded to hell that anybody lost interest in it

If you truly wish to still "help" as you claim then reach out for us in Discord maybe another task can be given and if you can't meet that one well then theres your own point why you aren't part of the team.

With that.. My Regards.
I was never given any task, so it has nothing to do with not being able to finish any task, and giving 1 example of a failed open source really doesn't mean much, especially when this game is not finished either, also, ZEQ2 was just incredibly bad compared to esf, which could totally explain why it died.

The first time was 'it seems like you don't have enough programming experience'.
The second time was 'Thanks that sounds great but it will take too long to learn the project so that's pointless'.

Obviously I understand that you do it in your free time, I'm not complaining about that, I manage my life just the same and your personal life comes before all of that.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you weren't given a task to continue as an applicant then there is generally a reason, technical or otherwise. However it would be a shame to have anyone treated unfairly. If you are still serious about wanting to help, or just want to be closer to where the action is, then hop on over to our Discord and reach out to us.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

They rejected my help too (offered in 2020 iirc). I told them I could help out with programming a few days a week and that wasn't enough of a time commitment for them. I honestly question whether some of them want any help.

Best answers
Logged into my old account just to reply. I’ve been following this game’s development since I was 13 in December of 2012. As an adult now I can say that:

believing in this game’s release is like believing in fairy tale BS. I stopped caring a long time ago and you should too. It’s like on Rick and Morty, “what about the reality where Hitler cured cancer? The answer is don’t think about it”

like who cares anyway? This game has been in “””development”””” for more than 20 years.

as children we like to believe in things. But no, reality isn’t like that.It’s not bad to be excited about something but keep your feet on the ground and have realistic expectations. Focus on something else

the “it’ll be finished when it’s done” is a scratched record in this community. There’s a fine line between working on a huge project and telling the fans to be patient and telling people that it’s gonna be done when it’s done for over 10 years. This should direct them to the reassessment of their motivations - really reevaluate if they wish for the game to even be done to begin with. What even is the objective here? At some point you just gotta think back and have finality on things. You can’t just try to pretend to have a community be alive with yearly “announcements” on a game that hasn’t seen any official releases in like 15 years. Nobody’s gonna criticize them for it, I certainly would prefer them to just come to terms with their fans and admit they really don’t care that much. I certainly don’t, either.

Last edited:
Swag
🌈 Beta Tester
👮 Moderator
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I felt like I wanted to share a few thoughts, for what it's worth.

First of all, on the matter of help rejection.

While I understand that quality should ideally be at a decent level the DEV team should obviously be aware of what's feasible, and not stop the whole project based on it being impossible to get it exactly where we want it in terms of quality. When the original coders don't have motivation/time/energy. Whichever reasons they have going on in their life I'd rather some progress than none. I'm not entirely aware if we're reaching this point or not or not which I'll touch on in the next topic.

To the people saying that the release date won't happen and that no progress is made, from my perspective that's not true. As we're testing new things or modified value on a weekly or bi weekly basis. We do have moments of inertia but there are a bunch of people on the team willing to help finish the project. It's no secret that it's painfully slow, it's no secret we wish the people in the team we're waiting for would be done earlier. It's no secret that things could be more organised. It's no secret that people lose hope/interest in the topic because of the time it takes. However, it is moving forward and it's moving forward for a bunch of people doing all of this for free so that hopefully at least a few people can have some fun with it in the future. With even more hope maybe an entirely new playerbase shows up.

If a game like Duke Nukem, where ppl get paid can happen to take 15 years and other titles 7-12 years why is it so unbelievable that a non-profit game can take that time too?

I get what everyone's saying though, it sucks to wait and it sucks to not get any updates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom