• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
its not that i dont trust the testers. you guys sure do a great job=) but there is always a possibilty that could be a bug, that none of the tester had seen yet. i dont judge you guys^^

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It saddens me to see nobody trusts the testing squad :p.
I know this post is meant to be a joke, but I'll bite!

I'm sure the testing squad is great, as it always has been. However, there is naturally going to be more bugs found and reported when you have a large influx of people who have access to a buggy build.

Best answers
Yay! I made it through the 15 pages of veteran members making anyone of lower rank feel like they have no significance! I've followed ESF for years on end, although lurkingly on the forum, and lately only on ModDB, so I'm quite happy that Mkillbride was kind enough to inform those of us that follow ESF through another site.

Seriously.. While I can understand the ill-will towards those that aren't ever going to own Half Life, I certainly can't understand the high-a**ery about only asking the ones that use a majority of their daily time on this forum.

Honestly I was leaning towards the "Full Release" option, as it makes sense to simply have the devs pour all of their love into this one final build. But since they've actually, word-by-word, said that it isn't going to take more/less time, because they were going to have it as a milestone either way, then I am all for releasing it to the public - In the end it is bound to give the devs a lot more usable feedback (and crush otherwise unseen bugs.) -- Eh, obviously I can't tell how the 'general' public will percieve a demo .. I personally can't understand why it would matter, though, but that is probably because I've never worked on a mod of this size and haven't seen the swarm of angry hivemind-kids that suddenly appears.

I could just keep on waiting for ESF, mostly because I know it's worth the wait, but also because it doesn't make enough noise for me to constantly drool for it. When asked like this, however, I feel a sudden craving to actively help as much as I can with testing and spreading.

Kind of a messy post, my apologies.

[Edit]

I just realised the people looking down on non-regulars weren't FP people at all, my bad.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seriously.. While I can understand the ill-will towards those that aren't ever going to own Half Life, I certainly can't understand the high-a**ery about only asking the ones that use a majority of their daily time on this forum.
I think that opinion was voiced by two people, whereas everyone else in the FP would just like for those who voted to at least be potential players of whatever is released.

I also feel that you are ignoring dedication to a community entirely, giving the impression that you think it's worthless. I think that's insulting to a lot of us.

Best answers
I also feel that you are ignoring dedication to a community entirely, giving the impression that you think it's worthless. I think that's insulting to a lot of us.
Not at all! As a modder I can certainly appreciate the dedication of a community, and I'd never consider such a thing "Worthless". I can't, however, appreciate a feeling of superiority to the level where you feel that only those who have stuck with the game intensively should get a say in the schedule of the release.

I did not mean to give that impression, nor did I mean to insult you as such (although I obviously chose some of my words poorly.)

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Though that's impossible to track. Unless you are going for the most recent activity (past months) on the forum and maybe modDB.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I think the team could easily have a start screen that pops up the first time you start the game and it should clearly read that this is Phase 1 release, xpect bugs and a taste of the final game bla bla. That way it would avoid any confusion because it would be information clearly popping up in noobs faces^^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the team could easily have a start screen that pops up the first time you start the game and it should clearly read that this is Phase 1 release, xpect bugs and a taste of the final game bla bla. That way it would avoid any confusion because it would be information clearly popping up in noobs faces^^
No one would read it. Since when do people read Manuals or TOS before playing a game?

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Yea but then they cant whine and complain that nobody ever said this was Phase 1 etc yak yak yak.... If they did, you could just say, yep, we did say this was a Phase 1 release, it was right at the start screen. What more would you like? A slap in the face to make it more obvious?^^

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If you look back to a few of the POTW, Grega has played a few "Spot the Bugs" games with us. So that says there are a few bugs. Those things that wouldn't have been caught until full release could easily be game breaking things. Such as the 1.2.3 simple melee reset.
I think you are assuming that they will leave the game in the current state and just release it. If they were to do a phase they would most likely fix it up before release, like I said before. As far as I am concerned it's more about limiting content than whether or not the full version would have less bugs or not. Yes, there will be bugs in either version no matter what, but I'm sure they would try to fix things up a bit before a release. Again, if the phase passes it's not like we are going to get the game tomorrow. It just means it will release sooner rather than later. We are still most likely going to have to wait a bit for either option.

No one would read it. Since when do people read Manuals or TOS before playing a game?
True, that's why I think the file itself or something like that should be labeled as a preview or demo if this passes. Also, instead of a pop up maybe they could say phase one, preview, or demo in the menu on the lower right of the screen where some games usually put the patch version. Sure, there will always be those who overlook those things, but its better than nothing no? Anyway, that's just my 2 cents again the devs can do what they want in this area heh.

Last edited:
And then there were none.
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I want this game to be out as much as anyone, but I want to play it in all its glory. So I say, option 1 is the best idea. Patience is a virtue they say.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I still like the idea of a few characters, 1 map, ect. That way we have more people testing for bugs and stuff and we can report it, that way when they release the Full Version or whatever, there will be barely any bugs, Cus it goes both ways and everyone's happy, reasons:
People who want Phase 1 and Phase 2: They'll stop complaining about the ESF Team not releasing a demo and it's still kind of in 2 phases [PHASE 1]: Demo, [PHASE 2] Full release
People who want the developers to continue development on the single full release: There's still gonna be a single full release and only a few things are spoiled in the demo, so there's still more to come

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Not to forget that people can create their own maps and release them to the public.

Discord Member
Best answers
if all we need is the characters mainly, i dun c why they can't b released from time to time when they are finished (kinda like how LoL does it and Dota2 is releasing it's "heroes")

have phase 2 and let us get bugs fixed while modelers can work on models. but then again ..... i dont want 1.3 beta to happen again >< wouldn't want you guys to stop improving n adding! hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom