Esf Open Source

Best answers
Since 1.3 is the last version of esf as far as I have heard, can the esf team release the source code later on, so the guys creating add-ons to esf(evm,btl) could possibly use it to make the game better. If not making it public, how about releasing it only to the said add-on developers.

I know that with the source code people would be able to find new exploits/cheats for esf, but if the team were to only release some of it, or only release it to esf mod developers, then they would continue to improve on esf.

Best answers
That's a good idea, hopefully they will do something like this.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure they will once they release 1.3

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I wouldnt like it if they would release it to ALL the public, you would just get 100's of different mods for ESF and noobs would come in here asking which one is best...I do like the idea to give it only to certain people....but there are always people in those teams who cant be trusted and just release the source code...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron, just as with true mods (like ESF), even if the source is released, not all addons will survive. So, if people persist, only the good ones will survive.

Besides, I doubt there are many 12 year old DBZ fanboys who know how to code a mod. :p

Best answers
The guys making btl(don't know about evm :p) arn't dbz fanboys, as far as I've seen they are skilled at the game, know how the game works, and will be able to create an excellent mod to Esf.

Call me a fanboy, but I am behind btl all the way :)

Best answers
Sicron said:
Personally I wouldnt like it if they would release it to ALL the public, you would just get 100's of different mods for ESF and noobs would come in here asking which one is best...I do like the idea to give it only to certain people....but there are always people in those teams who cant be trusted and just release the source code...
You make a good point, Sicron. I now actually agree with you, because it would get annoying by things like, noobs asking for help, or asking for which mod is best and all that other stuff. And to Barney, most of the BTL team aren't that skilled, the only one's I think are ok would be RavenTrunks, GaB, and Logan289, and they aren't even that good. The only one I think MIGHT be able to beat me now would be Logan, but now that I have improved at ESF a lot, I think I could beat him now, and I might just challenge him.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They did release the old alpha 2.0 code so it COULD happen. It would certainly be nice.

nge

Best answers
MCC, for your sake I hope you've improved if you're going to challenge logan. 1- he's not the greatest, but from what I've seen from you last time he was more than enough to beat you.

It'd be nice if the source were opened after the mod were closed, but I don't think it should be a public thing- it should be left for any of the ESF dev's who might want to continue it in some way, shape, or form, and given to those with experiance in coding and programing. BTL would probably be the most logical team to give it to, but perhaps some sort of "forum competition" would be best for seeing who'd be deticated to it.

Regardless, the team has the last say on such an issue, as it's their work, not ours. If they don't want to give it out or can't trust those who take the coding not to give credit where credit is due, it's not only silly to give it out, but probably in the best interest NOT to.

Best answers
Mccdbz5 said:
You make a good point, Sicron. I now actually agree with you, because it would get annoying by things like, noobs asking for help, or asking for which mod is best and all that other stuff. And to Barney, most of the BTL team aren't that skilled, the only one's I think are ok would be RavenTrunks, GaB, and Logan289, and they aren't even that good. The only one I think MIGHT be able to beat me now would be Logan, but now that I have improved at ESF a lot, I think I could beat him now, and I might just challenge him.
They arn't zen-like good but I have seen some fairly skilled ones, logan for one :p

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Who cares how good the creators play the game. The point is that the game is good to play. Anyhow the team released teh alpha 2.0 code si we might be expecting thisone to :p

Best answers
Grega said:
Who cares how good the creators play the game. The point is that the game is good to play. Anyhow the team released teh alpha 2.0 code si we might be expecting thisone to :p
it does matter how good they are, if they were all a bunch of noobies that hated melee, then btl would reflect that.

nge

Best answers
People say skill doesn't matter, but a decent skill level reflects the development of any mod. If the developers are terrible AND don't watch how the top level playerbase plays, they're going to end up with an unbalanced pile for a mod.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mccdbz5 said:
And to Barney, most of the BTL team aren't that skilled, the only one's I think are ok would be RavenTrunks, GaB, and Logan289, and they aren't even that good. The only one I think MIGHT be able to beat me now would be Logan, but now that I have improved at ESF a lot, I think I could beat him now, and I might just challenge him.
You're talking about two different things here. Skilled in terms of addon-creation is one thing, skilled in playing ESF is another.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And majority of our Team are both.

We aren’t a Clan or practice playing as a team and we don't need to be pros at the game. We however need to know what a pro is, the limits of the game, and everything that it can be manipulated to do. Which we do.

And to Barney, most of the BTL team aren't that skilled
You don't even know most of the Team. So until you have some basis for your 'opinions' I suggest you shhhhhhh.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let's try to keep this on topic, folks. This thread wasn't started to discuss the BTL development team. The thread simply asks about whether or not the 1.3 source code will be released after 1.3 is completed. As far as I'm concerned, the only pertinent response, at this point, can come from a team member who is in the know about that source code. That's what the topic is about. You are free to speculate as to whether or not the source code will be released, but as far as I'm concerned, all posts of that nature have been summed up, nicely, by Sub.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is one more thing you need to look at. When they released the alpha 2.0 code, they were on an entirely new version, 1.0. No one actually played alpha 2.0 when they released the source code. With 1.3, it's going to be an entirely different situation.

I personally don't see this as a problem. Another mod I play, the battlegrounds, has been opensource ever since it started and has never had a problem. They've even had outside people code in new features and had it added to an official release. What’s probably more significant is that someone took the half-life 1 code and ported it over to the source engine. Looking at my server browser for the HL2 version of BG, they have 8 dedicated servers up at the moment and 28 people are currently playing it. Imagine someone doing that for ESF.

Best answers
28 players isnt exacly something to brag about -_-'
isn't that a reason why not to make esf open source, I thought you supported the idea, or am I missing something?

Best answers
"28 players isnt exacly something to brag about -_-'
isn't that a reason why not to make esf open source, I thought you supported the idea, or am I missing something?"

No its really not a reason at all. First off the battlegrounds mod for half life 2 still has a LONG way to go before being called a final game, second even if they did port esf to hl source and no one played it it would be no loss to the team or esf, and third nothing BAD could really come of this except for a bad port in which case oh well life goes on. I mean really I think the only people who don't want it to be ported to half life source are the ones who can't run hl source for some god awful reason. I mean if you held to that sort of logic then new games would never come out. Unfortunately like was posted above it really all comes down to the people who made it, I just hope they do whats best for the mod than whats best for themselves(this is in no way a targetted remark).

Best answers
I'm personally interested in the source of both 1.1 and 1.2 so I can tweak around with the melee system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom