ESF needs a tutorial

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.3 will probably be the last version. ESF must have a tutorial for this version. If its done correctly, it would not be hard to implement. All the team would have to do is have a tutorial button on the start menu. Clicking it would start a single player game in a random map. Text would pop up welcoming the person to esf and telling them the controls of the game and the basic funtions (ie: how to melee, walljump, etc). After the person gets through all the text, a bot should be implemented on the easiest difficulty level with a text box saying something like "now lets try what you've just learned". The player fights the bot, if he wins, a menu comes up asking him whether he wants to up the difficultly level of the bot or play the bot again. If he loses, everyones health goes back to full and he tries again.

I think it would be worth it. I'm sick of everyone asking how to play the game, plus the fact that many players quit because the game seems to hard. I know I stopped playing for 3 months after i tried the game because it just seemed impossible.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree it is a necessity although how 'easy' it would be depends on what it required, who wanted to work on it, and how long it took. Fairly sound idea.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I like the idea of an ingame tutorial. It will definiately bring in more esf players, because its kind of lacking compared to most games. At first the game seems overly complicated, and can scare off alot of players. This will make it seem pretty easy for them. And the game is also pretty hard to teach to friends, so this would help them out too.

You can make it pretty simple too like he mentioned. First the move is demonstrated, and then you have to perform it. And when you do, it takes you to the next move.

Best answers
Yes it does i started without knowing anything at all theni had to learn myself so they shoulsd have a tutorial

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It would probably boost the player base a bit too. Or just make a manual (like the default manual in 1.2 currently) and have a menu option that will pop up the manual when you are in the ingame menu.

Best answers
I actually read the manual and tried everything it said against bots. So it's basically the same thing... right? I can't say I learned much and am good now, though >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it would be a wonderful thing to implement, well it wasn't difficult for me to play esf in the beginning, it was with my friends at a internet cafe(1.1) and as soon as 1.2 came out I learnt it in a few days, but it was hard.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actualy ESFs system is easy to use. The so called "hard" part comes from other players rather than yourself. Also people dont like to read tutoreals. You tell them to read the manual and they tell you to go **** yourself (not evryone).

Those fiew who actualy listen to you and read it get better and that fast. Since they know the basic things its easier for the to use more advanced things they see online.

As for a tutoreal id suggest to make a the manual automaticly popup after the instalation of ESF. No options yes or no just make it popup when you click the finish button.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
why not include both the manual , and a basic one player mode tutorial, like suggested in the topic. See, other players, as you mentioned are the ones getting confused, and esf wont get larger if it scares off some players because it "appears" to be very difficult. And I do consider a manual to be complicated because people understand much better when it is demonstated to them live , rather then reading text that makes little sense to them.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Possibly to stop the question asking, I wa thinknig along the lines also of having a button assigned to being up the manual ingame, so thaat if a newbie asked a question such has "how do I melee" or "how do I fly really fast like that" (swoop), that he can jsut toggle the manual. It's been done with the bot menu, having a list of commands and what not so I don't see why this could not be done.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tonythetiger123 said:
why not include both the manual , and a basic one player mode tutorial, like suggested in the topic. See, other players, as you mentioned are the ones getting confused, and esf wont get larger if it scares off some players because it "appears" to be very difficult. And I do consider a manual to be complicated because people understand much better when it is demonstated to them live , rather then reading text that makes little sense to them.
Actualy the manual is very clear. But that wasnt my point. My point was the people dont want to read it.

When you tell them to go read it they just ignore you. Is it realy so mutch better to ask for help online? Or is it to hard to say i didnt understand the manual? Sadly the trouth is that people think they will learn it without the manual. But when they came ingame they get beaten badly.

Heck i met a guy once that openly refused to read the manual while asking how to melee all the time.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
This idea has been suggested very long time ago. Yet no one had the need to create such thing. Otherwise the team would've created it already.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe a video of a tutorial can pop up after installation. Like, when it finishes and it says "view readme file" or whatever, there can be a check box that says "view tutorial" and then it pops up showing the basic, intermediate and advacned moves of 1.3.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This idea has been suggested very long time ago. Yet no one had the need to create such thing. Otherwise the team would've created it already.
yeah but its kind of a necessity now, cause sub is right this will probably be the last version

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im pretty sure something like this is already planned... if it isnt it should be.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, but it shouldn't be writtin, it should be a tutorial like esf-world's tut. that was there, the flash one, I liked that, they showed ALL the transes, when, all the attacks and everything almost! just don't show the combo's.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
NIce idee. It would help people out alot, even to just get the basic movements down.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really don't see whats so hard about reading the manual that whomever took the time to type out, but if it'll keep people from quitting then I'm all for it.

I'm just curious as to why 99% of all noobs are too damn lazy to read the manual. I mean, I already knew most of it when 1.2 first came out and I still read it. Hell, I printed out the 1.1 manual and read it multiple times before I even played the game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
I really don't see whats so hard about reading the manual that whomever took the time to type out, but if it'll keep people from quitting then I'm all for it.

I'm just curious as to why 99% of all noobs are too damn lazy to read the manual. I mean, I already knew most of it when 1.2 first came out and I still read it. Hell, I printed out the 1.1 manual and read it multiple times before I even played the game.
Not everyone's like that. Some people might think they're too good for manuals, that reading manuals is for pussies. Or they're just lazy. Or both. Seriously, we're talking about the DBZ fanbase here, mostly anyway. You've seen that they're mostly young kids with little patience and even less mastery of the English language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom