ESF MP3 Player causeing game to crash

Best answers
If i put any mp3's in the playlist the game will crash when loading. It also gives a nice windows error.

system stats: windows xp proffesional, 1024 meg of 2700 ddr ram, amd xp 2600 w/333 fsb, ati 9700pro.

thx guys.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you type the filenames in the playlist.txt yourself, or did you use the playlist editor?
Because the game will crash when the contents of the playlist.txt are incorrect. My advise is to use the playlist editor :)

Best answers
Yes, i used the playlist editor to put them in.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o_O Well, that sure is weird... have you tried reinstalling ESF and/or Half-Life?

Oh, could you perhaps post the exact contents of your playlist.txt?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The ESF mp3 player can't handle too many mp3s. I recommend using WinAmp (v2.8 -- 3 Sucks) then getting a plugin for it, called HLamp which allows you to control WinAmp in-game and has a few other cool features as well.

Best answers
Thats probably it, i have something like 200 in the list. I'll cut it down quite a bit and let you know.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LoL! It doesn't even let you have 200?! Hahah and I tried 800 some. Ah oh well, even the SVEN COOP mp3 player lets me load all my mp3s (913 now), but I still like WINAMP.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
O_O WTF ?? Why would you have 800 mp3's when playing ESF? o_O

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you use a high bitrate on your MP3's you may be taxing your CPU too much. Though you have a high end PC, using HL, ESF's particle engine, and the huge maps while FMOD.DLL decodes 300kbps frames of you finest tracks, you could start to beat on it a bit to much. This isn't including all the other stuff you could be running in the background. Try seting the amount of memory windows allocates to HL much higher, along the lines of 500MB out of that Gig you have. Add -heapsize 512000 to HL's launch line after

Like this: C: \sierra\half-life\hl.exe -heapsize 512000

Best answers
Ok, I had close to 125 mp3's in the list, I cut it down to around 40 and everything works again, thx guys. Also I'll edit my heapsize when I get, it can only help hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom