• all advanced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • all throws :P

• Melee? BEAMSPAM ALL THE WAY

• Total voters
Best answers
esf 1.2 has been out a while now, so I expect some expert opinions on the melee :)

ADVANCED MELEE:advanced melee had a good idea behind it, but it should be spiced up a bit, and make it require more skill to use, not luck. I hate when a guy goes red arrows, then the other guy puts in red arrows, etc. It's stupid if people just try to get a lucky random on somebody. COmbos are ok, but only someone who dosen't know them will fall for them, aka a newb.

Throwing: This should only be used to finish someone off, or if they have low ki and won't be able to get up. It should NOT be used over and over again by noobs that don't know how to do anything else.

Basic Melee: The beef of esf, almost everyone that noticed that advanced melee is not an effective way of killing someone has resorted to this. Different then 1.1 melee I'd say, slower pased, and easyer for noobs to use, but some tricks from 1.0/1.1 still exist although they are easyer to do. One I know of is hitting them up into the air, telporting up then hitting them down again. I remember that people that could do this in 1.0/1.1 were very good, a newbie could never acoumplish this, and that remains true in 1.2, although its a bit easyer to do as when someone is hit they fly away slower then in older versions. I would call basic melee a toned-down system of 1.1. It is more newbie-friendly, but there is still a drastic difference between a noob and a pro using basic melee, which is how in some ways basic melee remains true to its 1.1 counterpart.

I just created this topic for discussion, not for bashing the old melee or the new melee.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i use basic all the time. the only time i use advanced, is to exploit advanced speed.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I myself use basic melee. When I need pl I just go advanced so peeps are doomed ( hard to evade mine combos )

nge

Best answers
Basic all the way, but I'll use advanced to break a block or when a throw seems appropriate- they're quite potent as a means of dealing MASSIVE damage when done correctly. Also, I am in love with generic beam.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mostly basic. I don't see how you say 1.2x simple is 'slower paced,' though considering 1.1x's would send people flying half-way across the map, though! It was fun to watch, though. =)

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
1.2.x IS kinda slow... I mean, to punch somebody in adv melee you need atleast 3-4 seconds ( charge to green, release ). And it should be lik 0.5-1 second.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I use about 95% basic melee. And little advance, most of the reason that Basic is faster. Besides that point, the double tap system is annoying in my opinion, i randomly have problems swooping, due that reason some people use scripts.

Best answers
basic melee .. all over . the adv. melee is st00pid.. all based on luck, so whats the fun of using it ?

Best answers
when i play with boons i usally use adv melee.. but as soon as some one with a bit of skill comes in... i hit it with the Basic.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When it's n00bs i will gladly combo them to death in melee for pl gain or ethier smash them around with basic melee (what ever I feel like doing at the time I guess, those little devils are good for something ;)). When there's anyonme who can give me a good fight I will fight at my best level, and usualy as most of the never ending fights that go on against every player that has skill, we all use basic melee & I will throw them from time to time.

I'd say that adv melee does have it's use, when you compare it to basic melee, it doesn't cost you ki when you get down to a adv melee fight unless your'e throwing, just the prepunch cost, and that does really come in handy when your'e runing low on your ki, and if your'e good, you shouldn't have to much problem dodging most random arrows that come at you.

At times though I can be a bit of a beam spammer, not as much as I use to though (provided i'm not having high ping).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use everything. But it really depends on who I'm fighting and the situation I'm in. If I can't risk taking chances, I stick to basic. If I fight someone like Zeonix, I stick to basic. If I am fighting someone like End, Dogma, NGE, Bad Karma, spriggs, or around there. I use pretty much everything. I use basic melee, adv. melee, throwing, beams, etc. If it's an FFA I will use more adv. melee than basic, that way no one can beam spam me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Barney's Soul said:
esf 1.2 has been out a while now, so I expect some expert opinions on the melee :)

ADVANCED MELEE:advanced melee had a good idea behind it, but it should be spiced up a bit, and make it require more skill to use, not luck. I hate when a guy goes red arrows, then the other guy puts in red arrows, etc. It's stupid if people just try to get a lucky random on somebody. COmbos are ok, but only someone who dosen't know them will fall for them, aka a newb.

Throwing: This should only be used to finish someone off, or if they have low ki and won't be able to get up. It should NOT be used over and over again by noobs that don't know how to do anything else.

Basic Melee: The beef of esf, almost everyone that noticed that advanced melee is not an effective way of killing someone has resorted to this. Different then 1.1 melee I'd say, slower pased, and easyer for noobs to use, but some tricks from 1.0/1.1 still exist although they are easyer to do. One I know of is hitting them up into the air, telporting up then hitting them down again. I remember that people that could do this in 1.0/1.1 were very good, a newbie could never acoumplish this, and that remains true in 1.2, although its a bit easyer to do as when someone is hit they fly away slower then in older versions. I would call basic melee a toned-down system of 1.1. It is more newbie-friendly, but there is still a drastic difference between a noob and a pro using basic melee, which is how in some ways basic melee remains true to its 1.1 counterpart.

I just created this topic for discussion, not for bashing the old melee or the new melee.
The only thing I wish is about advanced melee, is that it was more conditional. By that I mean, I wish there was more control over when it could happen, instead of just every undodged swoop. It really slows down the pace of the game if any guy can collide with you and completely lock up what your doing with prepunches. I think I'd like it a lot more if prepunching was blockable.

How about a cvar for block to prevent prepunching?

As for melee in general...well I'm not going to talk about it, because it's degraded notably from what it once was. Not the game itself, but the way people use it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mainly basic, sometimes adv melee for throws or combos.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
basic, advanced doesnt do enough damage for the time it takes.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well some consider it to be a hard learning curve, luck of the draw, but in a way adv melee reminds me of ddr, instead my fingers get the arrows, not my feet =P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom