• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A simple question - Is ESF too complicated? On one hand, all you technically have to do is swoop around holding right click. On the other hand, there are a variety of skills / techniques you can use and that you could learn. Discuss.

Edit: Could a mod make this into a poll? Thanks.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It depends on how well your Video Game comprehension skill is, if you can catch on fast and learn fast,like me, then No ESF isn't complicated, if your a guy who takes days to remember buttons configurations and tenhniques then your gonna be confused.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
Done. If you want any changes to the responses or if you want the poll to show who voted for what, just say the word.

Best answers
Sub said:
A simple question - Is ESF too complicated? On one hand, all you technically have to do is swoop around holding right click. On the other hand, there are a variety of skills / techniques you can use and that you could learn. Discuss.

Nope. How can it be too confusing? All the game's concepts relete to melee, so bascicly just use melee and you'll learn something. Beams are simple, any noob can beamjump.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It has a slight learning curve, but it's no Natural Selection. (In NS mode, atleast o_o)

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Barney's_Soul said:
Nope. How can it be too confusing? All the game's concepts relete to melee, so bascicly just use melee and you'll learn something. Beams are simple, any noob can beamjump.
Well, the first thing the majority of people ask when playing ESF is "How do you play?" No one asks that question when playing something such as counterstrike. You have to take into account that games like CS use people's prior knowledge, they can relate to someone shooting a gun. No one can relate to someone flying around in circles.

@Majin: Thanks

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
Well, the first thing the majority of people ask when playing ESF is "How do you play?" No one asks that question when playing something such as counterstrike.
@Majin: Thanks
That's because all first person shooters are nearly the same.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF is unique that's for sure. It's not so much complicated as it is different. I can't really think of any other game where the gameplay is similar.

In that sense, once you learn how it works, it's not hard. It just takes more practice to get better. Just like in CS, you may know that you have to point and shoot, but there are other tactics, and you practice aiming as well.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its tough because of its speed. And there is a multitude of unlimited strategies that long-time players have converted to muscle memory for their fingers. Problem with me is that I develope a strategy, and instead of waiting for the opportune moment to use it, I pu all my focus into pulling the strategy off, and I lose focus on a fight. I'm not the best video game guy. I'm mediocre to the last.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The learning curve is rather difficult for newbs when they first start playing the game simply because they will be pwned each time they do something unless their playin on a server that if filled with other newbs or play with easy bots.

I remeber when I first started playing 1.1, I was in a lan cafe asking people "how do you fly so fast?", then I was looknig at the guy's screen that was next to me then after 15mins I got use to the melee. Nowa days if I were to paly 1.1 I would suck simply because I got so use to double tapping as opposed to targetting people with melee. There can be a lot of skill factors involved throughout playying esf, timing of attacks also helps while playying. The only problem is newbs would like to think that people that are pro at playying use h4x, and as to why they make the assumption without playing the game throughly still makes me scratch my head, I mean if we really were using hacks, we would of been kicked off the server a long time ago before they came in.

I now and then though train a few people if they ask nicely enough, and tell them to go look at the esf-world flash tut to get the idea of what I will be practicing/teaching them. All aside though, once you learn how to pwn at esf, you just have to keep playing (for me atleast :):p). It's also good to give people who are slowly getting better at the game a bit of a hand, some tips and pointers etc. I always enjoy a good fight with people on a same/simlar skill level as myself and what they do to try and overcome me.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not complicated. It's just there is no other game like it. Therefore no one can relate to it. In Counter-Strike, you know exaclty how to reload the gun, and shoot it, and how to move and jump and crouch with no prior knowledge.

In E.S.F, you have to actually learn how to swoop. Learn how to do combos, or how to knock someone back twice. Or how to engage in advanced melee and know how to punch, kick, do combos, or throw someone. People ask "How do you play?" because no one can relate to any other game to figure it out. And no one reads the manual because it can be difficult to find, or just don't like reading. I myself would rather learn by playing. That's how I learn, but I read manuals to get an idea on what I'm doing first.

For example. Natural Selection. I played that for the first time in my life last night. But it's no ordinary first person shooter. Sure, I knew how to shoot, reload, and I learned quickly how to upgrade myself for higher defense, different weapons etc. But what I didn't know, is that it's also got an RTS version of it where a commander tells you to do things, and can get very tactical. And although I play RTS games, I've never played an RTS/FPS game before, so it was a very new experience to me. Hence difficult. But it's nothing a little practice won't handle.

People just need to take a couple of hours or maybe days to learn the style. It's not that hard to just sit down and get used to it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF is not complicated, like many have said, it's unique, but like any other unique game, once you understand it, it's easy to work through. That's where skill comes in play. There's a wide range of skill, but that doesn't make it complicated.

nge

Best answers
I actually love it for its simplicity. It really comes down to raw skill, much more than any other game- there's very little luck involved.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nge said:
I actually love it for its simplicity. It really comes down to raw skill, much more than any other game- there's very little luck involved.
That's after one moves to simple melee. Lots of people never stop using the advanced melee DDR, so luck becomes a large factor in their fights.

If you take the time to learn the game, it's really quite simple. I can relate to people that feel it is complicated though. It used to feel like everyone was better than me and knew how to do stuff I didn't. Por ejemplo, I went a couple months not knowing how to initiate the second round of melee. I got by simply by landing the most adv melee attacks in a fight with somebody, and to top it off, I thought double-hitting with basic melee was cheap, so I didn't use it. Now I'll use everything short of roll hitting to win.

Basically, my life would have been made a lot easier if I had been forced to read the manual to start with.

Best answers
Yeah. It's really not complicated.

While I was waiting for my friend to get back so he could teach me ESF...I fired up a game against some Weak bots...

I learned 99% of what he was telling me there. The rest I could have learned by reading the manual.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Demonic Spoon said:
Yeah. It's really not complicated.

While I was waiting for my friend to get back so he could teach me ESF...I fired up a game against some Weak bots...

I learned 99% of what he was telling me there. The rest I could have learned by reading the manual.
Its nice to see that people still remember that the manual helps most. And no begging others to teach them.

You ask a guy to teach you how to do stuff like anglehit and such not how to play ^^

@topic. Dunno why but ESF was allways easy for me to play. Never had a problem of figuring it out ^^

Best answers
I think the system can appear complicated to newbies, yeah. The ultimate ESF melee system would be one that is simple to operate and to get into the groove of, but at the same time permits complicated combos, really skilled gameplay. I'm hoping we hash out something like that for 1.3, and notsomething that has another "select this weapon, hold this down, double tap this, press this direction, click, right click" blahblah introduction to melee, more of a "Hey, press this to fight. Here's some cool stuff you can do if you want also". Not sure how possible that all is.

Just my thoughts...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game is really easy to understand, I'd say the Budokai games are way more complicated because you can't shoot an attack like in ESF you have to push the right buttons in the right timing ESF is not complicated. And those tutorials on ESF-World explain everything. Now, playing ESF good is another thing, something you can only get through practice if that's what you meant.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There was a saying used in a Virtua Fighter 4 review that said 'Minutes to learn, years to master'. That couldn't be more true for ESF. It took me a couple of hours to learn and familiarise the controls (back in the 1.1 days), and i've been playing since then, and i'd still only rate myself as slightly above average compared to the people I meet in servers. It's one of those games that you really need to train and practice on.

One of the great things is the 'player-made' techniques that the ESF team didn't necessarily include as features, but are devised or derived from other elements of gameplay. Things such as throw-laser, 'floorblobbing' (hitting an opponent once in basic melee, swooping, hitting them down for the second hit, and then kiblobbing them when they hit the ground), swoop-teleporting...the list goes on.

ESF has more variety and original gameplay than 99% of the Half-Life mods out there, what might be construed as complicated is actually just a very deep game hidden under the mask of a DBZ mod. If anything I hope they add more features in 1.3, to make it even richer. There's nothing 'complicated' about the game if you settle down with it for a while and learn by doing.

@Sub: This wasn't directed at you, I know you're a good player, I meant new players in general.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well it's not complycatete now because you allready know who to play but from someon who never played ESF and did not read esf tutorial they r in truble , realy i know this becase i'v show the game to many and they like it even if they did not know who to play or use melee or stuff like this but after a few tricks they did it but still this is hard if someon did not show you who to play, but after your lear it's easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom